Reviews for Flagstaff
taniacecilia chapter 1 . 9/21/2012
why don't u write a sequel? about sam finding out what really happened. that'd be cool!
Bloodmoon-Shinigami chapter 1 . 5/23/2012
How tragic...but it kinda fits. You did a great job with the display of emotions in the abuse scene. I have always found it so sad when someone being abused gives up fighting, or worse, feels like they deserve it. I am inclined to think Dean might get to that point if it were his dear dad dishing out the pain, just as you're story portrays. Thank you for posting this.
Lady Impala chapter 1 . 5/23/2012
This is a really great story.
Beckydaspatz chapter 1 . 4/29/2012
Never mind that Dean had tried plying him with other diversions. 'Come on, Sammy! I bet old man Barker downstairs's got a baseball bat we can borrow – let's head on over to the diamond by the Junior High and have us a game!' Or 'Movies. My treat. We can catch a matinee, have some popcorn – extra butter – and a shit as ton of gummi worms. Whaddya say, Sammy?'-Okay, that's killin' me a little bit, because who the hell wouldn't want to just hang out with Dean.

But really, what sixteen year-old would rather hang out with his kid brother on a Saturday than do, say, anything else?-Exactly!

If Dad told Dean to jump off a cliff, he'd probably do it. Probably salute before he plummeted off the edge.-So not true! Well maybe a little true, okay, probably a lot true. But still mean. Bad Sam!

By the time he made it back to Flagstaff he was high on adrenaline, caffeine, and alcohol, with enough anxiety and fury pounding through his veins to light him up like a supernova.-Holy shit, me thinks it's gonna get bad for Dean fast.

The next ten minutes wouldn't be his proudest, but John wasn't one for apologies. And right now, at that very moment, he wasn't thinking about remorse or restraint. Fear possessed him like cloying black smoke down his throat, overriding his better judgment with accomplices like anger, terror, exhaustion, and Jack Daniels. Fear for his baby boy, who'd been ushered into this nightmare life with his mother's golden hair swirling in flames above his crib while the ashes of her flesh rained down on his tiny, squiggling body, made John wild and mad with grief.

He grabbed Dean by the throat with an iron grip and slammed his head into the wall once in warning. Dean gasped and squirmed madly, trying to break his father's hold on him, but John was immoveable as stone. With one hand he loosed his belt from the buckle and slid it free from the loops of his jeans and Dean's struggles renewed with interest when he realized what was coming.

"Dad please – I'm sorry!" he begged. "Please – you promised!" Eyes wide and haunted. "You promised you wouldn't!"

John remembered: a year and a half ago. John and Dean on a hunt. There'd been an infant gutted in its crib. John had drowned his horror and grief in Jim Beam and had come home three sheets to the wind and taken the belt to Dean for no reason. And he'd cried afterward and apologized. Promised. 'Never again, Dean. I promise.'-Jesus, you're killing me here. But i can't stop, it's so good.

This was VERY hard to read, because I love Dean as ridiculous amount and wanted him to slug Sam, but truth be told be never did know about what happened and I can't see Sam saying anything to him, so yeah, very in character and very painful. Having been in an abusive relationship before I totally agree with what you said, they really go for the throat and it was a brave move of you to do the same. Be on the lookout for more reviews from me in the future, great job!
HakuHunterNatural chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
Really like it! Wish you could continue with Sam finding out!
Living in a fantasy chapter 1 . 10/14/2011
Very intense, powerful story. Great job being in character
kissacazador chapter 1 . 6/23/2011
Hey, I just found this story and I'm blown away by the way you wrote the characters. It was very hard to read, my just broke my heart thinking about poor Dean, but well worth it.

Congrats :)
cesh10 chapter 1 . 4/22/2011
Hi, this is my first time doing this so I'm not sure what the etiquette is.I noticed a couple of really minor things that looked like they might have been mistakes. It was published 09-28-10 but I thought you might like to know.

a shit as (ass?) ton of gummi worms.

he had some kind of secret yang (I'm not sure if I'm unfamiliar with this saying or if you meant yen?) for his company:

I really enjoyed the fic. These were some of my favorite parts. Thanks

a glimpse into minds and lives of three individuals so wholly different from each other, yet so intimately connected, in ways that only family can be. It serves as a lesson for them, gentle reader, or an example, of what you know, what you think you know, and what, it turns out, you never knew.

'Yes sir! No sir! Can I lick your boots, sir?'

shaping the lesson into a fine, sharp edge

His head was down, his eyes averted, like a dog offering its belly in complete submission.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/5/2011
aweomse!one of the best ive read by far
Blume chapter 1 . 2/7/2011
Oh dear… although I guess it’s possible, I mean, the way Jensen Ackles acted in that scene kinda left you with the impression ‘when dad came home’ was definitely worse than any other thing Dean had experienced so far. And I can’t imagine a yelling match was bad enough to be remembered with that kind of nervous laugh.. plus, it’s John and there are only so many options left to try and teach a lesson to your teenage boy: physical or psychological abuse, and neither are very appealing.

But it still feels bad. Especially when you consider this is one of Sam’s best experiences. (I actually have issues with that episode, where was Jess? Where was the happy apple pie life one would expect to see in heaven? It kinda looked more like ‘moments that stroked your ego and self worth’ rather than ‘happy memories’ but hell….)

And what was the sequel? Something about ‘vomit syndrome’? it was also awesome.. kinda sad, but you wouldn’t expect an event like what happen in this fic to not have any sort of consequences…

Good writing! ;)
chalkcanary chapter 1 . 11/6/2010
loved it :)
girlyghoul chapter 1 . 10/7/2010
Oh man, this is a really good story. I can picture everything playing out just the way it did and even though of course much of what happens is horrible and wrong, the way you get into all three characters' heads shows their motivations (however wrong headed) for doing exactly what they did. Of course, poor poor Dean got the short end of the stick on both sides, but it's so understandable how this could be a part of Sam's Heaven. He had freedom and gained the knowledge that he COULD make it on his own away from his family (for a while anyway) You can almost see the wheels starting to turn "College and Normal Life, here I come!" And we all know Dean would never tell Sam what went down with him and John. For John's part, as horrible as what he did was, you really captured his inner turmoil- all that built up grief and guilt and rage that never allowed him to see straight- esp. the part where Dean looked more and more like Mary every day. Chilling. It's a very fine line to make such an abusive character still somewhat sympathetic and you nailed it without ever excusing his behavior. But really, poor, poor Dean! He got played all around. Not because he was stupid, but because he did care so deeply for his brother and his father. His need to give them everything at the expense of himself (always letting Sammy have his way, always forgiving John) tears ya up! Great job with a very difficult subject.
Tari Roo chapter 1 . 10/6/2010
Hmmm... I am not too sure how to say what I want to say. I want to wax enthusiastic about your fic, because its great, but it seems kinda weird to be as delighted with this story as I am... mostly because of the unpleasant nature of events.

So, I think you captured the blind innocence of Sam exceptionally well, and as Dark Side of the Moon showed, he had no clue what running away did to his brother (as usual with Sam).

And you portrayed Dean's reactions wonderfully, captured that sense of mind numbing panic and heart stopping disbelief.

And then there is John. Yeah... you wrote those scenes very very well, and I can't help but feel for him, but also despise the lack of control and anger. And in that regard its a thumbs up for your writing too - to see both sides of a character.

so thanks, for writing this 'conflict inducing' fic :)
Death-Muncher chapter 1 . 10/5/2010
Awesome awesome awesome story!
Arafel979 chapter 1 . 9/29/2010
This was so very hard to read; so very, very sad and affecting. There are parts of it I will never forget. Congrats.
40 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »