Reviews for Flagstaff
MysteryMadchen chapter 1 . 9/28/2010
Well I hated how mean John was to poor Dean but the story was fantastic and so very well done. Very descriptive and well thought out. Loved it, thanks so much, Nicole. :)
freakin'applepie chapter 1 . 9/28/2010
Very nicely written! Poor Dean. I was thinking around the same lines when I saw 5.16 and I was wondering how on earth Sam, who was supposed to be the genius child, didn't notice it. Have you thought of doing a piece on after 5.16, where Sam actually finds out what happened from reading their dad's journal or something? I would definitely be first in line to read that!

Thanks for a great fic!
HeartsDragon chapter 1 . 9/28/2010
This story is amazing! Poor Dean.
dk-joy chapter 1 . 9/28/2010
Great story! This is pretty much the kind of thing I pictured when Dean said that line. I figured he had to have been verbally abused, if not physically abused.
moira4eku chapter 1 . 9/28/2010
I do believe you've written the most likely scenario for that time! Sam looked at Flagstaff as his best 2 weeks he ever had and had no clue that Dean might have been given grief over it. He seemed completely clueless to that affect. Dean's comment about what happened when dad got home, you could tell it was bad, and I mean bad for Dean. We know that John drank, and had that marine mentality when dealing with his sons. I also think the ages you picked seemed very likely. If Sam had been older, he would have realized the consequences for Dean (I would hope)if he disappeared on his watch. Dean at 16, is still quite young and impressionable. I can easily see him not noticing Sam's missing items because of the emotional wreck he would have been in. Dean truly shows the abused victim's way of forgiving the abuser of all transgressions. I just wanted to cry at the way John treated Dean. The verbal part was actually worse than the physical even if that was quite bad, too. Sam at 12 would have just assumed that Dean was mad at him for tricking him and not still feeling the effects of John's punishment. I felt so badly that both his family members treated him like he was stupid and told him so. No wonder Dean thinks he is at times. Anyhow, thanks for the wonderful insight to what might have happened in Flagstaff. I really enjoyed reading it.
masondixon chapter 1 . 9/28/2010
Liked the story but it hurt to like it. Dean already felt enough guilt and self-hate on his own; his father's verbal abuse was probably worse for him than the physical.

Never quite have got the gist of where all these Abusive John stories have come from in the SN fanfiction world. Never saw this- or got a hint of it- from the show at all. But I have read literally dozens of stories where John is much, much worse than he is here. And I can't figure out why the writers would think of him that way. Dean did worship his father but he LOVED him most of all. And no matter how much Sam complained about the unpleasant life the boys had living as they did not once did he hint at any kind of verbal or emotional abuse. So I don't know where the idea comes from.

But, as always, you do have a way of writing the boys as children that just seems so real and natural. No cricticism of your story here. Just can't figure out where the characterization of John like this comes from. Both boys loved him very much, as did Mary. To me he was a good man who did his best to raise his boys in a world he was forced to live in. And for me, he did a very good job.

Thank You for the story. Always enjoy yours.
penless chapter 1 . 9/28/2010
I liked this a whole lot! I've wondered what that time in Flagstaff would have been like for the brothers, and here it is! I'm so glad you wrote this and decided to share it!

Thanks very much!
Zatnikatel chapter 1 . 9/28/2010
Hon, this is – I don't even know what to say, really. It's very powerful and really hurt to read. Alcohol shouldn't be an excuse for abuse but having spent the best part of 10 years married to a verbally and physically violent alcoholic, I totally concur that this is exactly the kind of language used. Alcoholics have very low self-esteem themselves and can only give it a boost by destroying the self esteem of those closest to them. What is so utterly tragic in this story is how Dean ends up reassuring John…

Really well done, as harrowing as it is to read…
38 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3