Reviews for The Problem With Zuko
Guest chapter 1 . 7/15/2013
OH GOD I LOVE THIS SO MUCH.

How has it taken me this long to find this? It's perfect! It's amazing!

I really really like this AU, considering it's a very viable course canon could have taken had Lu Ten not died. It's rather interesting, how one change affects an entire storyline.

I LOVE Zuko in this story so much. He's so perfectly in character. Heck, everyone is. I did wonder if your Zuko has a scar in this story; if you mentioned it I'm sorry for not noticing!

And for some inexplicable reason, the last line of this story gives me SO many feels. I don't even know.

Anyway, amazing job!
Igor chapter 1 . 5/18/2013
Why didn't this story get more reviews?
It's very good!
I can't see canon!Lu Ten be a spoiled prince like in this story, but it works in this fic!
Wonder what would have happened later, since this Gaang has obiously a lot more problems than the original one.
Aeasel chapter 1 . 5/7/2013
awesome interpretation of how things might be different had Lu Ten survived BaSingSe. Actually, I love the characterization of Lu Ten in general, and his role in this story. But of course this is all about Zuko, and gosh he is just not having a good time : (

It is totally understandable that Iroh would stand by his son, considering how much his son's death affected him in the show. Ah but it's sad that in this AU there is no beautiful uncle/nephew relationship between him and Zuko.

I feel like this oneshot is more a character study on Zuko more than anything and I like how his sense of honor and pride played into his position as prince ( nobody) in the palace. I'm picky on characterization and writing quality and i gotta say this story is awesome on both accounts. Again, because I feel like it's a character study on Zuko more than just a plotline, I won't say much other than the fact that seeing more interaction with the prisoners would've been nice. But hey, his interactions with Lu Ten and his mother and TOPH are golden enough to keep me happy.
Ariana Deralte chapter 1 . 4/2/2013
What an interesting AU. It was great to see Zuko grow and change here. Cheers.
ABundleOfDaydreams chapter 1 . 3/31/2013
Ko-pia chapter 1 . 3/31/2013
This is amazing!
RedEYES-Fallen chapter 1 . 3/27/2013
OMG, MORE PLEASE MORE :)
I really love it :D
Have you ever thought of making a sequel or something?
SanityIsOverrated34 chapter 1 . 3/17/2013
"I almost couldn't find you, but then… were you laughing?"

"Well," said Zuko, dazed. "They were going to kill me."

Love love love this part! I nearly died laughing! Great story, although Iroh bothers me a bit- but that's just because he's my favorite character and I hate to see him so... evil. Or at least as evil as Iroh can be...
Glades of Grey chapter 1 . 3/15/2013
That was really beautiful. The insight to Zuko's character was excellent, not to mention the whole story was well written and well timed.
Minirowan chapter 1 . 3/6/2013
This was very interesting. I can see how much Iroh changed because of Lu Ten's death in the show. I found him to be very in character for someone who never went on a spiritual journey after losing his son to a senseless war. I was disappointed in Lu Ten's behavior, but it worked for the story. The one person I wish you changed is Azula; with her mother around I would have hoped the girl would not be as sadistic as she is in the show.

Anyway, this was very well done and it was an awesome read.
Ka chapter 1 . 1/15/2013
Epic. Grand. Wonderous. Quiet observations and frustrations leading to... doing the right thing, expecting to die, but no dude, you're not in a tragedy after all, this is a story where the heroes win.
ebonyrose97 chapter 1 . 12/26/2012
This is so genius. so. genius.
scorchedtrees chapter 1 . 12/3/2012
I love how you characterized everyone here. I like how Zuko is still Zuko despite "betraying" his country, and I like how Lu Ten isn't the perfect older cousin. It makes him seem more real. Toph was great, and I'm so glad the Gaang came back for him! If you ever continued this, I would love to read it ;)
topsilog00 chapter 1 . 11/20/2012
Wow. Absoltwly amazing very well written and i wish u wud continue it, althogh its been two years...anywhoo... this sh*t poppin! XD
Simply Christian chapter 1 . 11/2/2012
This is quite a stunning piece.

You did quite well with the characterizations, especially the alternate take on Iroh and Lu Ten. Most of fandom portrays Lu Ten as basically Iroh Jr, although I did read one fanfic where Lu Ten is said to be more like Ozai by the time he died. Here, you did a realistic portrayal of a man who takes after his father in many ways, including love of frivolty and women. As for Iroh himself, you did a good job of balancing between a man who cared about his family (as we see in canon) and the Dragon of the West, a general and ruler who took down Ba Sing Se who was not softened by the death of a son.

I like how Zuko did not hate Lu Ten for what he did. Zuko condemned his cousin's actions, but did not bring himself to hate Lu Ten, nor did he allow his new friends to label him as "evil." This showed a part of Zuko's growth, that while Lu Ten is not as virtuous or noble as he once thought, his cousin was also not a pitch-black villain.

The plot flowed very well, and you did a good job of portraying Zuko's inner thoughts as he gradually changed his way of thinking from a blindly loyal prince to a reluctant traitor, all the while keeping his honor intact and consistent.

While I realize that you intentionally left the events after this story to the imagination of the reader, there are a few questions I have.

As Team Avatar continue their journey, they should make sure to spread the word about Sozin's Comet. If knowledge of the plan spreads, it would weaken the power base of the Fire Lord, and give Iroh something else to worry about. This could even potentially lead to uprisings even in the older Fire Nation colonies.

What will Ursa do, now that her favored child has gone traitor? Will she eventually choose to put her son above her loyalty to her nation, or will she remain broken in the palace?

I saw that other reviewers were wondering if Ozai was scheming against Iroh, but if that were the case, then Ozai is going to be more cautious than he would have in canon. After all, he's not against his failure of an older brother who only cares about tea; he's going against the fearsome and undefeated Dragon of the West, and even someone as arrogant as Ozai is not going to be careless in this endeavor.

Our heroes had a hard enough time trying to defeat Ozai and Azula. How are they going to deal with not only them, but also Iroh and Lu Ten? Is there going to be an internal conflict with Ozai's scheming that will allow Team Avatar to snatch victory away?

When Iroh and Lu Ten conquered Ba Sing Se, what happened to Long Feng and the Dai Li? Were they executed and/or disbanded, or did they go underground and become guerillas? If the latter, could they be potential uneasy allies for Team Avatar?

Since Zuko joined the Avatar earlier, and therefore lost a lot of his rage earlier, does this mean his firebending will weaken earlier? Will this mean he and Aang will seek out the dragons far sooner than in canon?

In short, you crafted a truly wonderful and original AU that kept everyone's character believable, and left events open for readers to wonder. A job very well done.
184 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »