Reviews for Life Bound
aeva elementia chapter 4 . 4/24/2013
Okay; should've seen that coming. I'd yell too at such advanced brainwashing, perpetrated as usual on women.
aeva elementia chapter 3 . 4/24/2013
Now it ties into the beginning. Lovely. So, did Toph technically propose to Ohev?
aeva elementia chapter 2 . 4/24/2013
Hmm. Tea ceremony without vision. That IS amazing...
aeva elementia chapter 1 . 4/24/2013
Nice concept. I can easily relate the stifling culture of the Earth Kingdom nobility to ancient foot-binding Asia.
But its obvious that's its going to be a depressing run...
Alotua chapter 6 . 3/31/2013
Really good fic. The description of the binding in the beginning were fantastic. Horrifying, but fantastic. And the little bit at the end was such a teaser; now I really want to read a fic where Zuko meets a crossdressing Toph!
lady pomegranates chapter 6 . 12/29/2012
Here I am at 6 in the a.m. finally completing this amazing story. I couldn't stop reading. Wow, just wow. It is so good. I quickly fell in love with it. There are a few spelling/grammar errors, but overall, this is perfect. Im so tired right now, but I cannot rest until I compliment you ob an excellent fic. I have favorited this. Please see if you can arrange for this to say Toph is the main character in the search. If I hadn't decided to take a peek at a tropes page, and then looked at recommended fics, I never would've found this gem. Excellent, most excellent. This will give me pleasant dreams. I rarely get this excited over a fic, but you handled the foot binding issue with skill, and kept everybody in character. Very nice.
Nkw I'm rambling
Vladimir Zhivanevskaya chapter 6 . 12/19/2012
Excellent, though I'm a little depressed that Toph can't do her "bring a bigger gun" earth-bending style...ah well, still a good story.
Stina Whatever chapter 6 . 7/14/2012
This is a great story, and really shows the difference between the different countries in the Avatar verse
Guest chapter 6 . 7/14/2012
This is a really great stsory, and sad, not having Toph live up to her usual ass-kicking potential
november123 chapter 6 . 6/16/2012
This story is amazing. Wonderful characterization, very interesting gender politics, and the new types of earth bending you discussed were very interesting.
MetellaStella chapter 6 . 6/5/2012
This was really good.

I'm going to review all the other chapters later, but let me just say:

I like how you took an existing character that is not very familiar to the fandom- Ohev- and developed him.

It's believable, in the Avatarverse, that he'd be thinking about marriage at the end of this- girls throughout history have been married around Toph's age.

I really, really hope you plan on continuing this sometime.
MetellaStella chapter 1 . 5/26/2012
Excuse me while I go sob in a corner . . .

A six-year-old's reasoning for doing what she did might make sense. ;_; But you can't fix something that way, honey. I'm sorry. So sorry.
Caladbolg777 chapter 6 . 5/17/2012
That was a good read though I do have some criticisms on the story.

I think the most glaring inconsistency with this story is the ending and epilogue. I think that you did a wonderful job with Katara healing Toph and then finding out that Toph is still injured. That was quite realistic and well done. After this though, I have some issues. The conversation that Toph and Nu Wa had was pretty good for the most part, but I felt that the philosophy that Nu Wa brought into the conversation about using art as a form of war was poignant, but I believe a little incoherent. I understand that it is a good point to make, but I felt like the way Toph reacted was unrealistic. Or, perhaps Toph's answer was realistic but Nu Wa's reaction was not. To me, it seemed Toph completely disregarded her teacher's wisdom when she was there to have a hearty goodbye. Or perhaps, Nu Wa's reaction to that (carrying on what she was going to say anyway) seemed a little wrong. Nu Wa maybe could have accepted what Toph said, if not with a little sorrow or concern. Something along those lines.

The other major part that I did not understand was the epilogue. I understand that you wanted to show where Ohev (which sounds Russian to me - not really sure that name fits into the Avatar universe and especially in the Earth Kingdom since that is modeled after eastern China) was after he ran away, but it seems you haphazardly threw Zuko into the mix. I know Ohev works for the Fire Nation, but it still doesn't seem to make sense for Zuko to find him since Zuko is an exile and by himself. I do not see the connection between Zuko and Ohev, and I believe there is some sort of connection that you should make at this point. Otherwise it seems as if you randomly gave Zuko a cameo for no real reason.

Given Toph's condition I do like your characterization of her. I think you did a good job showing a weaker and less self-confident Toph because of her condition. As far as characterization for your OCs go, I think generally you did a good job but maybe lacked some of the more physical sides of character depth, and understandably so. I think that there was not enough description of your characters. Despite I think you can creatively work around Toph's blindness by describing body language for character depth instead of facial expressions and visual emotions. I often feel that fiction writers, myself included, focus often on the visual to describe people and their emotions. We can see what they look like and their facial expressions - which can tell enormous depths of information of a person. However, the same can be true with the other senses as well.

Toph has extra good hearing and has her earth sense - I would utilize those aspects a great deal if I were writing in Toph's perspective. For example, Nu Wa could feel a little taut and weathered not only in vibrations but her personality based how the vibrations reach Nu Wa - and this can give a sign of her age as well. Toph can hear the rapid breaths of nervousness plague Ohev as he stands on the earth rumble ring for the first time or perhaps when he talks to Xin Fu. I believe you did use these tactics, but I kind of felt that you could have added more setting and description to the story overall.

Good story overall though. I thoroughly enjoyed other than these things that I mentioned, and I wish you the best of luck. If you would like to talk a little more about this, or if you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Best of luck in your future stories!
Paprica Salt chapter 6 . 5/10/2012
just red the intire story.. AWSOM!
tomorrow4eva chapter 6 . 4/17/2012
Really enjoyed this story. I think you did a good job interpreting bending & the foot binding.
86 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »