Reviews for Life Bound
lsobelle chapter 1 . 4/16/2012
Why in the world would servants have their feet bound? How would they do the work around the house if they are hobbling around? Bound feet was usually a sign of wealthiness-that a family can afford to have servants waiting on their wives and daughters. A minor detail in a single sentence that I found majorly distracting.
Mad Zia Magdalena chapter 6 . 4/1/2012
Wonderful story! It was well-written, clever, had funny moments, very well thought out, and had an interesting concept! The foot binding is something that had never even crossed my mind. It changed Toph's character subtlety. And Ohev was a great character. I want a sequel! Do you have one? That epilogue was perfect to make me want more!

(spoiler) One question: Why did Toph take the betrayal so personally? She disliked Katara, didn't really feel anything for Sokka, and really mostly cared that Aang was the Avatar. Did she get so distraught because he was basically condemning the Earth Kingdom? Or was there more?
Where the gras is greener chapter 6 . 3/19/2012
Hm... interesting. It has a good characterization and pacing, for the most part. There are a few parts I didn't like, but then again that is storytelling, isn't it?
emletish chapter 1 . 3/18/2012
I have just stumbled across this story and I wanted to show it some love! this is epically and wonderfully told! haunting, endearing, tragic, lovely - it gave me so many feelings.

what I love is how you were very culturally sensitive in the way you dealt with footbinding. Toph's gradual acceptance because for her, it is just the normal way of things. Katara's horrified reaction - so common when people first fond out about it. Toph's rebellion against it and her parents. anyway I think this was all handled very well!

I love the ohev/toph friendship and I thought it was especially sweet and darling. oh when he betrayed her, I felt like crying with her in that cave. oh it broke my heart. he left her a note! oh tearbending now. I would love to see a follow up story when toph and ohev meet again. but as it is, this story feels perfect and complete.

and then Katara healing Toph's feet! I was bawling! but in such a good way! anyway I just wanted you to know that I loved this fic!
How2BeAnonymous chapter 6 . 3/10/2012
!
Asters chapter 6 . 1/4/2012
Totally needs a sequel.
mac-c chapter 6 . 11/12/2011
Thank you for this story! It made me research into chinese foot-binding and it really is one of the most awful things I have ever seen. Will you continue this story? about a Toph with new feet?
Jyaramie chapter 6 . 7/22/2011
Toph is badass, period.

Loved this fic and what you explored with footbinding. I was a little bit dreading some sort of soapbox platform, but you wrote it with great sensitivity to the footbinding practice and captured the cultural clashes with finesse. Very awesome! I loved it.
Cat's Eye Nebula chapter 6 . 5/1/2011
This was amazing. I read the story description and had a jolt of horror - the thought had never occurred to me. And this story lived up to that first shock of emotion. Wonderful job, loved your OCs. And you did a great job subtly changing Toph in a way that was very believable.
Faoi Na Realtai chapter 3 . 4/28/2011
This is so epic. I actually love your OCs, which is weird because I almost never like OCs. The art of bending crystals is awesome too. I'm gonna get back to reading the story again, but I just wanted to say again, this story is awesome.
Faoi Na Realtai chapter 2 . 4/28/2011
I love it. :D The first chapter horrified me a bit because of how bad the footbinding would've been for Toph, but that's more a credit to your work than a detriment.

I really love this line because it makes me think of Gurren Lagann:

"Then if you don't believe in yourself, believe in me. Because I believe in you."

Somehow I could totally see Toph getting along with Kamina and Simon and loving the whole Gurren Lagann universe, but that might just be me. XD
Sakiku chapter 6 . 2/16/2011
I almost cried after that first chapter. The footbinding thing, to know it had been real, and you described it so vividly... It was so incredibly sad to see it cripple Toph that way, and even though she still remained clever and cocky and insanely talented Toph in her way (training Ohev and loving the rumbles and making deals with Nu Wa) there was something _missing_ inside her...

I think this story is one of the most heart-wrenching portraits of footbinding in China (well, I generously substituted China for Earth Kingdom). Not because of its gruesome descriptions, but because of the way everyone just lives with it and copes with it. And how, at first glance, Toph is so _diminished_, never being able to perform her rock-throwing again; but on second glance she also gained a subtle refinement that the canon Toph is missing... like one of those highly cultured roses, where the roots and the stem of a strong and wild rose is taken, and then cut off in the middle to engraft one of those incredibly beautiful but sadly not very robust kind of roses. It's artificial and it hurts and it will always hurt, but somehow it is still beautiful in its own way once everything grows together.

Well, thanks for writing this. It's beautiful.

Sakiku
R. James Gauvreau chapter 6 . 1/17/2011
Well it's certainly good that you ended before Ba Sing Se. What's going to happen when Aang gets zapped by Azula? It doesn't seem like the changes here, after all, are going to butterfly that event away.
P.A.W.07 chapter 6 . 12/23/2010
Well done and a very realistic idea when it comes to the Earth Kingdom. It would make since b/c the Earth Kingdom strikes me as a nation much like china. I don't know much about foot binding besides the basic concept, but I trust you did your research.

Anyway, I didn't mind the OCs and despite being almost helpless through most of the story, Toph still felt like Toph.

But I digress, I just wanted to leave a review b/c this story deserves more. Its an original AU, wasn't too long, and was a nice quick read for all AU fans that like to think outside the box yet still have their favorite characters in-character. Thanks for sharing.
Shadow Wasserson chapter 6 . 12/9/2010
Holy flying bison.

You know, I thought about this when I watched 'Mulan,' but it actually never occurred to me when watching Avatar.

But it's so wonderful. So... perfect. The OC's are believable and really add to the story, the background, the research... it was a joy and a heartbreak to read.

Fave'd.