Reviews for Other Gods
justarandomgirl chapter 6 . 4/27
HP Lovecraft appeared -Instant awesome.
Destrark chapter 27 . 2/17
Holy shit. What an incredible story. Go Coraline!
Sayonara Goodbye chapter 8 . 2/1
An eye for two lives. It was sooo good and so bad to read through the Jones inevitable murders. I knew they were dead when Lovecraft promised to help secure Coraline's safety and her family's safety. Good fluid dynamic balance of gore and character action.
Sayonara Goodbye chapter 7 . 1/24
I don't even want to think about how many tabs per browser window you had open to pull together Lovecraft's timeline and sync it up with American history. This is amazing. With like, a horrific way to end the chapter for beloved characters. But still amazing.
Sayonara Goodbye chapter 6 . 1/22
This was a pretty difficult chapter for me to read. I don't see the Joneses getting out of this one, supposing they told Whitey where Coraline really is. Family secrets can kill a person, and I'm sad that Coraline's secret will tear her family apart.

I'm enjoying the introduction into Lovecraft's world of a secret society. I can always tell when a crossover does its due diligence when getting thrown into another universe doesn't interrupt the story.
Marianne Greenleaf chapter 27 . 1/15
I devoured this in one sitting. This was amazing! Very clever and seriously epic - I love how you intertwined Coraline with the Chthulu mythos, and made Lovecraft a character.
Sayonara Goodbye chapter 5 . 1/15
Oh shit, the Cat lied to Cora. He totally had a name. This is awesome.
Sayonara Goodbye chapter 4 . 1/15
Oh. This does not bode well. Somebody else is definitely going to die horridly. I forgot how weird Wybie was. It's so nice to remember bits from the book and movie I'd forgotten. Coraline is one of those rare works I enjoyed equally in two mediums book and movie.
Sayonara Goodbye chapter 3 . 1/15
These monsters sound so adorable in their pecking order. I like how you're playing with myths.
Sayonara Goodbye chapter 2 . 1/14
Ah, first blood second chapter. I was wondering how far I'd read before someone died. Very nice presentation of all these nuanced personality types. I have a hard time juggling more than 3 characters at a time.
Sayonara Goodbye chapter 1 . 1/14
This is a delicious start to a finished story. I remember how in Gaiman's book, not so much the movie, Coraline felt the passage watching her when she opened the door.
MartyrFan chapter 1 . 1/11/2015
I really like this story. I haven't watched Coraline though I know what it's about and I do intend to watch it someday. My knowledge of Lovecraft's writings comes from the board game Elder Sign and what I've gleaned from Wikipedia. The crossover of the two is just plain perfect. You did a great job writing it and I enjoyed reading it. Humanity triumphing over a race of amoral, alien gods; love it.
GuesssWho chapter 1 . 8/5/2014
Poor Beldam
TheScorpion0081 chapter 27 . 7/19/2014
So a child with blue hair joins an organization that battles gods, and then becomes a goddess and saves the Earth. All at the age of 11...

My eleventh year of life just became moot.

Anyways, existential crisis aside, this is one of the most amazing stories that I've ever read. To be fair, I have yet to read any of Lovecraft's works and my knowledge of the Outer Gods are limited to what I've got from Tv Tropes, but I came to understand the story nether the less. Coraline, Howard, and all of the characters were done exceptionally well, the action scenes were awesome, the drama was natural, and I love the whole "humanity facing unimaginable odds and coming out battered, scarred, but victorious."

I do have a few issues, despite the story being awesome. One, that long exposition dump with Howard's backstory. Yes, that history lesson was interesting and the key elements do become important to the story, but it seems like it could have been... shorter? Like making his life story two or three paragraphs and just making how he founded the organization and his encounters with the Outer Gods the main topic. Third, Cthulhu. I'm still on the bench on his surprisingly "human" way of thinking. Especially in his conversation with Nyarlathotep (that did give me a laugh, though, so it balances out). More jarring is the way he died. For a creature who basically elevated the series into what it is now, I would have expected Squid-face to put up a better fight (again this is coming from a guy who hasn't read the series, so what do I know). Other then a few grammatical errors and some understandable within context OOC moments, that is the brunt of my criticism. None of which weighed the story down in the slightest.

Over all, I had a great deal of fun reading your story. I will definitely be coming back to read again and I hope that you might have a sequel on the back burner. Maybe just to cover the aftermath of the war and Coraline's trials as a god. Either way, I love the story and grateful for your hard work. Thanks for the story.

-Scorpion

P.S: Have you scene "Mystery Kids?" If you have, what are your thoughts on it? If you haven't, my I recommend it?
thequeenreadsmyfics chapter 3 . 2/28/2014
Instant favorite for making Pennywise a Bedlam.
58 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »