Reviews for Darker Shades
GinsengH chapter 24 . 3/21
I've been reading this entire series the last few days, and it has come a long way since the beginning.

The writing has certainly taken on a more mature tone as the series has progressed. Not just mature in the sense of being dark, but I mainly mean that the writing has improved greatly. Early on there was an obvious attempt to make the story more serious than what the original show had been, but there were too many instances of rather non nonsensical happenings. Now, though the story seems to flow more naturally with these darker themes, and the characters have been building up quite nicely.

Speaking of characters, I originally clicked on this series of stories because Tommy and Kimberly were in the character filter (my two favorite rangers). Your Scorpina has completely won me over though. I can only hope that she makes an appearance at some point again.

The camaraderie shown early on between Tommy and the Moon Palace forces was a nice touch. It created a deeper sense of realism that this was actually a fighting force in a war. Commentary on the war itself has also been interesting as there have been points where the perspective of what is evil and what makes a criminal depends upon which side you find yourself on.

Good story and looking forward to reading more. I can't say that I'm looking forward to Kimberly turning evil though. It could have worked early on, but the problem is that your writing has become formulaic in this regard. First there was Tommy with his evil stint as the Green Ranger, then there was Billy with his 24 hour mind control, then Billy again in the form of a clone, and now we are facing an evil Kimberly. Even if Kimberly does find a way to circumvent becoming evil (though that seems unlikely as I happened to see the summary for the next story in this series) it seems as though this series can not have a major source of conflict without turning one of the Rangers against the others in this manner. It makes for great military strategy to turn your enemies against each other, but its intrigue as a plot point when used with such frequency is immensely lacking.
Mirajane92 chapter 15 . 11/30/2014
The notion that Billy would be more comfortable in the battlefield than Jason is really weird. Though I do understand it, with Jason, Zack and Trini leaving, but still. But I love this fic. It's one of the best PR fanfictions I have ever read.
Linariel chapter 34 . 5/19/2014
I finally finished it. All I can say is wow I’m overwhelmed, and in awe. This story is genius! I loved your Evil Green Ranger saga and this is even more of that goodness. OMG I’m still not over this fic not in the least bit. I don’t know how you did it but you were able to completely rewrite the whole The Green Candle, things in between, and Green No More in a way that just made it even better than ever. You pulled at my heart strings and emotions. Placed the rangers in impossible situations put them through hell. But through it all you built their characters and transformed even more so into the the Power Rangers we know and love but with even more depth and emotion. You even manage to make all the villains into characters you can familiarize with. You made Zedd even more terrifying then how I remember him as a child when he first appeared to the rangers before they dumbed him down a bit. I love all the backstory you give the villains and rangers but especially the villains because you make it work. You make it make sense. I never thought of Lord Zedd being the way he is because of all the power he’s wielded eating away at what he once was. But it's the perfect explanation.

I really loved how you brought the rangers' parents into the whole conflict with evil. After Zedd threatens their lives. Especially how you play it real and your not afraid to add conflict because any parent would react in somewhat the same manner after learning their children are fight evil forces. I actually laughed at some of those parts as well. Okay I didn’t know how you would do it but you managed to completely sell me on Evil Kim. I always saw potential for it. But they never really explored her being evil in the show, and Goldar never was able to turn her evil before. But I can see where you went with Zedd’s infatuation with her. It was sick and wrong but you never went overboard. The whole way you brought in him wanting to turn her into Rita was perfect as well because essentially he tried to do that in the show. But still through it all you subtly put how Kim was trying to fight the spell. Tommy being killed I never completely grasped being true so I was relieved when a few chapters later you brought him in. But it still killed Kimberly that she did that, and it made her transformation into Zedd’s pawn natural. You explored one type of evil with Tommy, then subtly with Billy, and now Kimberly. You put the core rangers who stayed long into the final days of the Mighty Morphin team through the most challenges, and trials. They all have a certain connection they’ve all been evil or something of that nature. And yet as with Tommy, Billy has managed to pull through everything and become strong once more, I know Kimberly will too it’s just going to take some time. But I see the bond between her and Tommy stronger then ever. I also enjoyed the fact you had Kimberly break her own spell, she had to come to realization and no one could do it for her. The tender scene of Tommy healing her with some the last of his powers was beautiful as well. You’re one of the best writers of this couple I’ve ever seen.

At first I wasn’t onboard with the whole greek gods bit but as I read it, well it worked really well. And it was the most dangerous thing I’ve ever seen on this show. You wrote all them perfectly too. I loved this whole greek gods bit. It something that was really had a real challenge for the power rangers. It wasn’t the simplest thing to accept but as you built into it it made so much sense. Especially the Venus Island bit because it does say Aphrodite more then the fly trap monster. The apocalyptic Angel Grove I didn’t expect but it was so interesting and perfect that I really enjoyed the whole bit. I love how you brought in Rocky, Adam, and Aisha. Oh god that was just so perfect. Them being freedom fighters and helping a city that wasn’t even their own was beautiful truly. It shows how much they are already power rangers in their own right. I do hope when they get the power coins that they get back their memories of the whole battle with the greek gods. Because what they did was just as important as what the rangers did. And I feel as if they shouldn’t be left in the dark about what transpired they need to remember it. Even if it wouldn’t be easy to come to grips with everything I’m sure they’d prefer it, You managed to write the trio so well. I could honestly see them doing just what they did. Their introduction was genius. Also awesome work having each of the trio working with their predecessors, I just loved to see that. It’s something that was sorely missing from the show. Jason getting help from Rocky, Trini getting calmed down and brought back to reality by Aisha, and Zack getting saved and supported by Adam. Yes I really am ever so happy you put that in. I love the first red, yellow, and black rangers. Nevertheless I still enjoyed their predecessors so much as well.

Tommy was incredible as ever in this story you put him through a journey. And this journey it just shows subtly how he’ll become the white ranger, the leader of the power rangers. And how his white powers represent purity, leadership, and everything he's cultivated to become. You wrote him in such a way that he’s coming to grips with everything. I didn’t like the way they got rid of Tommy myself however the thing was despite this there was always the fact that Tommy sacrificed everything for them all in the end when he wasn’t even a power ranger. He defeated Lord Zedd without his power coin. And you did the same with this story but with much more build up and feedback. Also I enjoy the fact the the eltarain energy Tommy was receiving had side affects because it make so much sense for it to happen this way. When you look at it logically and scientifically. Zordon’s energy actually saved Tommy and allowed him to dimension hop. Tommy wasn’t around as much for the last book but that didn’t make him any less important, and I liked how you balanced that all out. Also you’ve grown Tommy up a lot but at the same time you focus a lot on Kim and Billy which I enjoy as well. All three of them have been through hell but they are still fighting as rangers for one reason or another. Now that Kim has been evil and Kat will be evil I think they will have an even deeper connection. So anyways also liked how you did the whole Billy and his clone part oh god that warred on my emotions so much it was one of the most nerve wrecking books in you series. But I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Okay now I’ve got to say one of my favorites parts overall of this story was the clues Zedd gave them. I couldn’t wrap my mind entirely around any of them. Not until the rangers realized them for themselves. They were plot point that warred on the rangers and made them question everything and anything. I especially like how you used these clues to drive point about Jason, Trini, and Zack’s decision to give up their powers. It wasn’t an abrupt thing over time you’ve shown how they’ve been broken down and why they want to stop being rangers. It’s been a gradual process and might I add written out beautifully. You’ve convinced me more then the show ever could why they wanted to leave. It wasn’t about just simply the peace conference in this story it was just a part of the reason and you didn’t even bring it up till the end of the story. You showed how everything happen you’ve been gradually building up to this point and in a way that makes so much sense. So well done very well done. I knew and accepted that Jason, Trini, and Zack would move on soon but you you wrote it in a way that makes it even better. While those three are starting to crumble you’ve shown their replacements rising head on to meet the challenges, and having their backs, even if they don’t know they are going to become rangers yet.

I love how you show no favoritism and give all the characters their just desert when needed yet at the same time make us feel for them. Sure I can see people being a bit biased still regardless of the story. But you you wrote this without showing true favoritism. You stay true to the heart of the characters and their story. A good writer knows that you must play true to the heart of the characters, and not deviate completely from who they are. And you don’t you really don’t. You showed sympathy even for Lord Zedd in this story. You play from all their points of views not just one.

On a side note I adored Silvia through this whole story. I wish she and John could have been together and my heart still breaks from that whole scene but I understand why you did it. I do love the fact that she shows pure love for Tommy despite everything and what he put her through as the green ranger. She still just loves on him. Tommy needs this in his life. I liked seeing the closure between Jason and his father as well which was something that if I remember correctly was tough problem for the red ranger in your first story. Congrats on writing an even better version of Doomsday then the one from the show, I loved how you really showed how much the others were missing Tommy and how it affected them. I also loved the unexpected surprise of Tommy saving the day for all of them. All of that was so good. I just loved every way you redid every episode you played out it was just so purely amazing. I can’t begin to describe it all.

Looking forward to seeing how you do the power transfer and if you will have our rookie rangers remember what happened during the greek god war. Also I can't wait to see more of Scorpina, you're even bringing Rito in from the background early which is awesome. Who better to look for his sister I rather like that. And of course I can’t wait to see Tommy as the white ranger, and what you’ll be doing with that. I can’t to see Rita and Zedd’s marriage too. And just everything! Oooh please tell me you’re doing the whole 2 part episode where the rangers become children because of the rock of time. I actually
scotty26 chapter 24 . 2/22/2014
okay i think i have to say my piece after this. You are EVIL but in a good way kind of EVIL! you are doing what MMPR as a whole couldn't do because of "Americans" restriction on violence and since they couldn't touch the "tone" of MMPR counter part Sentai..you are more or less doing that...which I like. This is like the 5 or 6 story of MMPR that I've read that I actually like..well technically speaking 3 since 2 of those are xover with Harry Potter. I - personally - never like Rocky as a whole - especially during Zeo - because he came across as a whiny emo idiot. I was recently watching a few episodes of Season 2 of MMPR like The Wedding and The Return of The Evil Ranger and while I know see why he was good as "EVIL"...the plot and the way they had to literally circumvent the editing as not to show the costumes of DaiRanger...makes it just outright *ugh* and just show i would rather watch Sentai Sub Episode than the atrocity that this show is - even if it was gear to kids -because of the "themes" and the major "violence" on the Sentai show. If you watch any of them ...especially Zyruranger you will know what I mean. Zedd as a villain at first was pretty cool and then towards the latter half of MMPR..they turn around and made him an "EVIL" buffoon of epic proportion..you know what I mean? You probably do since you writing this as your own fanfic and giving Zedd his proper due.
Marie Kenobi chapter 34 . 1/25/2014
Until you mentioned it, it had never dawned on me that the three Rangers who remained were the three who had been evil at some point in time. Surely it was coincidental; the show's producers couldn't have seen into the future to know which actors would leave. Still, I was impressed by that observation.

I also like the fact that you're touching upon Jason, Trini, and Zach leaving BEFORE bringing in Tommy as the new leader. It makes a hundred times more sense than the way the show was done, and again, it has to do with the original actors leaving, but they still could have handled it better in post-production.

I'm super excited to see Rito getting pulled into this. (Earlier than in the series, I think? Can't remember at the moment.) He always made me laugh and I'm sure you're going to do a great job with him. I'll be waiting eagerly for you to post the first chapter of Brighter Paths! :-D

Marie Kenobi chapter 33 . 1/24/2014
Such a great chapter to help wrap the battle up! Maybe it's the dimension hopping, maybe it's his new Eltarian power, but Tommy sure seemed to gain some confidence! I loved the way he handled Zedd! lol I'm also very interested in how you'll handle him becoming the White Ranger and Jason's loss of leadership. Please, please, please do a better job of that than they did on the show! (I have no doubt that you will. :-) )

One more chapter to go. I'm glad things are wrapping up neat and proper for the Rangers, but I'm sad to see this story coming to an end.

Marie Kenobi chapter 31 . 1/18/2014
And the tension continues to mount!

I'm really liking this new side to Kimberly that we're getting to see. I think it adds depth to the character that we never got in the series. Kim isn't all sunshine and roses; she's got a fierce attitude, too.

You blind-sided me with the Trini/Zack pairing. That is definitely one that I did not see coming! I'm having a hard time picturing it so far, as usually I see Trini/Jason (and I've always kind of thought that made sense when rewatching the series). I thought if you did anyone, it would be Trini/Billy, so I'm curious to see how you shape their relationship in the upcoming chapters. I also liked the scenes with Adam and Zack together. Out of the Stone Canyon trio, Adam was always my favorite, so it's fun seeing the two black rangers together.

Hopefully my reviews of this story will help you along with the next one. If I could make a request, it would be that we get a little shameless Jason squeezed in there before he's written out completely. Can we have a little angst or torture or just good 'ol toplessness? ;-)

Corianna15 chapter 11 . 1/6/2014
Awesome way to play that out!
Marie Kenobi chapter 27 . 12/31/2013
Awesome, awesome chapter. Definitely one of my favorites. I think you did a beautiful job with the characterization of the Rangers' families, particularly Zack's, and I really hope we get to see more of them before Jason, Trini, and Zack leave. (I'm not looking forward to that chapter at all. :'-( ) With your altered storyline for this arc of the series, you've left me hanging on the edge of my seat, never knowing what you might throw at the Rangers next. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. _

Marie Kenobi chapter 26 . 12/30/2013
What a way to end a chapter! WOW! Part of me is really happy that Jason no longer has to hide his secret, but this certainly wasn't how I expected him to reveal himself! I can't wait to see what else you have in store for evil Kimberly. :-)

Marie Kenobi chapter 25 . 12/29/2013
What a ride you're taking everyone on...good grief! I'm off to read the next chapter to see how you fix this mess!

Marie Kenobi chapter 21 . 12/21/2013
Evil Billy is creepy as hell. I would most definitely NOT want to run across him in a dark alley. What a wicked, evil man/clone...

Great characterization with Tommy in this chapter. The interactions between him and Will was very nicely done.

So glad you've brought the motorcycles in early! What could be hotter than the original Rangers on bikes? (Next time they use them though, can we have all the boys strip down to their waists? I wanna see a little skin...) ;-)

Marie Kenobi chapter 15 . 12/14/2013
There are a couple of things I love about this chapter. Let's see if I can remember them all.

The interaction between Tommy and Jason as they're fighting the new putties and trying to decide how to defeat them.

Zack's line about wooden stakes. (I'm an old Buffy fan.) :-)

Your story arc with Scorpina. I'm 99.9% certain I know why she's been "sick", and I was really worried for a while there that Zedd was going to kill her just as the news was revealed. I wasn't expecting it, but the thought made me sad. I guess I've grown to like her more than I thought.

And I love, love, LOVE your interpretation of the new putties' 'Z'. It was just too obvious and too simple in the series for the Rangers to hit the 'Z' and have the putties go away like they did, especially when these were supposed to be so much better than Rita's. You took away the "easy" factor for defeating the new baddies and I think it's awesome.

I just finished watching the last episode of Power Rangers Zeo today, so all of Zedd's musings about Jason leaving the team were especially sad for me to read.

I've probably missed something, but I hope you can tell from what I did write that I really enjoyed the chapter!

On to the next!
Marie Kenobi chapter 12 . 12/4/2013
As horrible as this chapter was (the emotional turmoil, not the writing), I loved it. I had a sneaky suspicion that there was going to be trouble with Tommy's dad, but from Finster to the battle with Rita to Goldar's surprisingly soft side, I loved the way you handled it.

Guest chapter 1 . 12/3/2013
You lied to me. This is the greatest story ever and brighter paths isn't here. I need you to write woman. Your stories give me an escape. I pray you are ok. You have an amazing gift.