Reviews for Agony Aunt
Meggin Lane chapter 4 . 11/14/2010
Hey, I loved this. Especially poor Bobby's reluctant role as "agony Aunt"-hehe.

I know you had to get Dean good and drunk for him to spill his guts in your story, it also seems like canon is going that way too and i think "why not?" We would never be able to 'get' what was on Dean's mind and there for see his suspicions, get an inside view to his 'gut instincts' if he didn't open up once and a while. I'm just glad that Dean's real strong suit-his dead on gut instinct' is finally being recognized.

I think you summed it up perfectly when you had this story point out that Bobby might be aces when it comes to research and Sam might have always been better at putting two and two together in figuring out there was a hunt. But it always came down to Dean's "feelings" when they were in the actual field-while the hunt was in progress that saved their asses and made the hunt a success.

As to him be relegated to sidekick-I can't go there just yet. He still is an army of one when it comes to protecting Sam, but since he came back from hell he doesn't glory in the blood shed that it sometimes takes to get the job done. Still and all when Dean Winchester has his !protect alert! ratcheted up to full power I wouldn't want to be any fugly -alpha, demon or even angel that stood in his way-hehe.

He just seems to be more focused on family right now, preserving what he has left-and I chalk that up to getting his priorities straight and maturity.

Can't wait to see how you redeem the boy in your fic and I'm glad you are following the episodes so that they fit with the plot line too, makes any personal impression so much more pertinent I think and more challenging!
The Lilac Elf of Lothlorien chapter 4 . 11/8/2010
Awesome chapter. As far as the Campbells and Sam and Dean working with Crowley... Didn't Sam and Dean learn their lesson after what happened with Ruby? Jeez.
Summerby chapter 4 . 11/7/2010
I love these looks into the character's heads. You do it so well that even with the major plot twists the show has taken in the last weeks, the earlier chapters still hold up fine.

I'm gonna quibble with the A/N though. (Is that weird? Yeah, probably weird. Moving on.) I think you're worrying needlessly about Wimp!Dean. Remember the vamp nest? OK, Dean was all vampified-and-improved, but newborns in Spn are usually weaker and submissive to the older ones. Dean cleaned out the whole nest and killed the leader without any trouble. Sam1 and Sam2 came running to the rescue only to find everything handled without them.

And think about it, the Campbells had to be portrayed as scary-good hunters or they wouldn't be menacing. Just annoying. Let poor Gwen have her 8 seconds of fame. She'll be dead soon, sadly. Jo got the drop on Dean at first too. Dean will prove himself the better hunter in the end.

I'm more worried about the sheer hate he seems to have for Sam, who didn't choose to be souless, after all. But that's another story.
Nyx Ro chapter 4 . 11/7/2010
I think the line "Dean can't do research to save his life." is OOC for Sam, even Souless Sam. Perhaps ESPECIALLY Souless Sam: Remember, no feelings means no spitefulness, either.

Sam KNOWS that Dean CAN do research- Dean found Veritas, didn't he? And in the Pilot, Sam tells Dean he can handle the search for John Winchester for himself, presumably including the research. Sam only goes with him on the Hunt because Dean makes a tacit confession of loneliness.

You could probably establish Souless Sam better if he said something to the effect of it was more efficient to make use of his inability to sleep, since Dean hates doing research, and that Dean was outside getting drunk right now anyway.
emmau chapter 4 . 11/7/2010
You always manage to know and address my Dean issues. Bobby and Dean's relationship, even with Bobby's somewhat out of nowhere confession in 6x6, has been problematic for me, and I like Dean confronting him about his words and attitude over the last few seasons. You might be able to make me like Bobby again!

I have noticed Dean's sudden lack of hunting prowess (even if he is being allowed to be smart in the detective role), but I maintain that his inefficiency really began last year, during Sam's redemption arc. Dean was suddenly much less capable. I hope that he's allowed to be both smart and competent soon.
liddlepierat chapter 4 . 11/7/2010
Well, I think you have one hell of a point in here! Dean's instincts are razor sharp, and I think good old Gramps noticed that at least a little, too. He hasn't been keeping Dean at arms lenght without reason. He knew exactly that Dean would figure it out if he had a closer look into the "family business". And John sure as hell has. I think he didn't ditch Dean just to keep him "safe", but to stop him from reading him like a book and figuring things out as well.

As for the whole research thing: I think that Dean CAN do it quite well - if he has to. But what's the point of him trying with all these geeks around?
zekeschance chapter 4 . 11/7/2010
I've only heard Sam say Sam was a better hunter in S4 with the Siren. And that was because Dean was all screwed up from hell. You are right that Dean would've caught on to Christian quicker than anyone because Dean is the better demon killer and Christian knew it. That's why he continually baited Dean. But I don't think they ever show Dean being less than an excellent hunter. It's just that the Campbells don't trust him because they know he's the most dangerous one to be around. But I do like your story. Sam knows how he should feel but he can't feel. He's dead inside. I think Dean understands that perfectly.
Twinchester Angel chapter 3 . 10/24/2010
I understand why they did it but here's the thing. Whatever reasons Sam has for doing anything right now are seriously skewed because he is not in his right mind at this time. There are a lot of theories going around as to what's the matter with Sam and no matter what the correct one is, it isn't normal Sammy making the decision. Plus, Sam was gonna be a lawyer, of course he could at least partially convince Bobby it was the right decision. But Sam is right, no matter what he does, he does seem to hurt Dean, which has got to be frustrating for both of them. Also, Bobby's right too. All Sam has to do us be Dean's brother, hunt with him, and have his back. The problem is, Sam's so messed up after his run in hell that he doesn't know how to be Sam or he can't be Sam right now. I like this conversation you're having between these two. It's very interesting to hear them rationalizing and reassuring themselves about what they did. I have no doubt they had good intentions but they do have to listen to what Dean tells them too. Dean has always been so self sacrificing though so I think Bobby and Sam felt they needed to break Dean of that habit. But no one can break that habit but Dean. I can't wait to see how this plays out both on the show and in this story. Great writing. Thanks for posting this. *hugs*
Noninone chapter 3 . 10/20/2010
I was pissed at them too. Hell, Im still a little mad a Bobby, because I didnt expected he would do that to Dean. Sam, I did expected it, giving his past.
Twinchester Angel chapter 2 . 10/20/2010
I have said it before but it bears repeating: Isn't there a retired hunter, a wife of a hunter, a relative or friend of a hunter or even a victim of something supernatural out there who's a shrink? For the love of all that is good and pure, there sure as hell should be. There should be a whole team of them! A team of shrinks just for hunters! Because I'm tellin ya, they are the biggest bunch of messed up people ever. Insanity isn't even an occupational hazard, its a 100% certainty. You will, without a doubt, go insane. And these 3 are the looniest of em all. But oh how I love them! Those boys need some serious therapy. I don't agree with what Sam and Bobby did but damn if you didn't have them talk me into signing up on their side. That says something for your talent as a writer. I totally see their side and how awful it would be to drag Dean back into it. In the end, I don't believe Sam and Bobby made this decision lightly. They, of all people, knew how losing Sam was killing him but they knew hunting was killing him too. And they're right, he wouldve jumped right back into it. But ultimately that shouldve been Dean's choice. He loves his little brother. That's just him and doing what they did was like forcing him to be someone else. Anyway, this topic is almost as dangerous to talk about as politics so I will just say that your writing is excellent and they are both very in character. I have a feeling that this is what Sam was like right after he got out but a year with the Campbell Soup Kids has twisted him in a way. Not to mention his tour in Hell. So yes, I think this is very in character. And I swear I could hear Bobby sittin next to me on my could saying everything you wrote. Great job! Loved it! *hugs*
Linnie McCary chapter 2 . 10/20/2010
"This wasn't the first time Bobby had a dead Winchester sitting at his table, drinking beer. Hell, it wasn't the first time that dead Winchester happened to be Sam. The way things were, he wouldn't be surprised if John Winchester and his wife were in his bedroom doing the nasty. Fact of life, dead Winchesters had a way of ending up on his porch. That still didn't explain why there was only one at his table when Winchesters were usually a package deal."

This paragraph? Made of awesomeness!
Lamarquise chapter 2 . 10/19/2010
Isn't that the truth... If Dean were anywhere near healthy, he wouldn't put up with this kind of paternalistic nonsense. What he'd do if they knew Sam was back is not their decision to make. I still can't see that either Sam or Bobby is at all justified; I think their logic absolutely stinks. But I appreciate your treatment of the issue.
Noninone chapter 1 . 10/19/2010
XD Bobby is going to need a therapist for sure.
Sassenach082 chapter 1 . 10/3/2010
Haha! LOVED IT! It's about damn time Sam trusted Dean's instincts for a change. Gets really old after a while. I liked how you touched on that... and I'm not a fan of this "new Sam" they're depicting. And for the record, not only are the Campbells creepy as hell, but I'm pissed at everyone for torturing Dean for a whole year... I don't blame him for being pissed at Dean and Bobby. *ahem* Rant over, haha. Sorry. Not ranting at you or this story at all, but at the actual show... :)

Thanks for this. It helped ease the need for a rant. :D

Beautifully written, too. Great job.
archard-winchester chapter 1 . 10/3/2010
That's the problem. I don't feel like I'm writing the new Sam at all. It still feels as if I'm still writing the Sam of previous seasons. The tone of the story might have felt more right for before but now it just feels OOC.