Reviews for The Adventures of Mary Sue
infinityphoenix chapter 2 . 6/22/2011
At least her family wasn't killed because Team Rocket wanted her speshul powahs.
infinityphoenix chapter 1 . 6/22/2011
... Dear God, you were right to put this in the "horror" genre!
Flare Phoenix chapter 17 . 5/19/2011
It’s not just about whether or not a starter Pokemon is considered underused and overused. In fact I think we’re entering into dangerous territory if we think of it purely like that. Personally I believe it is far more how the starter Pokemon is used than what the starter Pokemon is. In short: a well-written story with an overused starter is much better than a poorly-written story with an underused starter.

In reality, the reason certain Pokemon feel overused is because they are used as status symbols more than they are used a Pokemon. Take a look at the pseudo-legendries: why do you think the Champion often uses them (Lance, Drake, and Cynthia)? It’s because they immediately portray the trainer as being someone who is accomplished; who is awesome enough to own one of these pseudo-legendary Pokemon (same rule applies for legendary Pokemon). Some people believe if they give their Pokemon a pseudo-legendary, it automatically boosts their character to awesome status, and they can have every other character in the story comment on that. It’s similar with Eevee, but it doesn’t help that the thing is unbelievably cute and can evolve into seven different Pokemon. Same with Shiny Pokemon.

Really, you can make any Pokemon seem important. Look at the latest series Best Wishes (Black and White in the dub): nearly everyone Ash runs into comments on how Pikachu is pretty much unheard of in Isshu/Unova. You could do that with any Pokemon. You could have a trainer travel to some region where there are no Tangela, and have everyone tell the trainer “OH MY GOD YOU HAVE A TANGELA YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY AWESOME”. It would be just as annoying there than if you did it with a shiny Eevee.

Look at the starter Pokemon for each region. Countless Pokemon fics use those as a starter Pokemon, but they never feel overused. It’s because there is no status symbol gained from having one as a starter. No one in Kanto, for example, is going to go “OH MY GOD YOU HAVE A BULBASAUR YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY AWESOME!”

Well that’s just my thoughts on the matter.
Sparkly Emerald chapter 17 . 5/18/2011
I am loving this guide/story thing. It's well-written and I feel like an idiot because every few minutes or so, I'm like, "Oh, that IS a bad idea." (thinking back on my own writing) As for overused and underused...

Overused: I find Beedrills and Spearows to be horribly overused, not as a trainer's Pokemon but as a plot devices.

Underused: I can't recall ever reading a story with a Sentret or a Diglett as a character.
Himeka-wolfie chapter 17 . 5/16/2011
Underused:

Snorunt, Pawniard, Cottonee, Cherubi (all of these used by me)

Poliwag, the normal-type birds of each region, Ponyta, Zubat, Geodude, Smeargle, Buneary, Scorupi, etc.

Trapinch (Flygon is my favorite, why is it such an underused pokemon, most people forget that he can also be used as the Dragon-type of the team along with unevolved Bagon)

Unevolved Vulpix and Growlithe

Overused:

Vulpix (not entirely sure if it is, but I'm guilty of this one)

Growlithe then evolved into Arcanine (why can't anyone stick with unevolved Growlithe?)

Shinies in general, I think one is acceptable (rarely) as long as not introduced/caught obnoxiously

Mightyena (actually dark types in general are overused by Goth!Sues)

Absol (again, guilty but not used as a starter by me)

Lapras (guilty of this, but not as starter) I have seen Lapras used as a starter, which I don't think would be realistic considering it's a water-type who mostly belongs in the water not on land where most battles take place

Petillil is slowly becoming a bit too used,

Along with the elemental monkeys (just like Cilan's Pansage from the anime 1OMG! insert sarcasm)

Would a Vulpix that remains unevolved be considered overused?

Would an Eevee obtained by hatching an egg given by a sibling who works for the Ecruteak Dance Theater also be one?

How about a Pichu obtained via egg-hatching?

What about a Flygon evolved from a Trapinch?

A Bagon that never evolves due to being unable to digest the Everstone it accidentally swallowed when young despite its desperate want to evolve and fly? (I actually used this one)

Could you do a chapter on overused/underused non-starter party pokemon? That would be extremely helpful.
Emerald chapter 17 . 5/10/2011
:O! I saw your going to submit an OC for camp magikarp! Lol PLEASY PLEASE SUBMIT! I think you are a genius! PLEASE SUBMIT! Am I going crazy? :o
MeloDenesa chapter 1 . 5/10/2011
dunno about overused, but the underused are the awesome buizel, skarmory, some of the normal/flying types and even though super cute, i barely see any mareeps around.
GhetsisFan03 chapter 17 . 5/10/2011
Overused: Meowth

Underused: Zubat, Tyrogue, Mankey, Machop, Onix, Geodude
Emiri-Chu chapter 17 . 5/8/2011
I only listed one of each because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to do more than one. _"

Overused: Ralts

Underused: Munchlax

Yeah school can really get in the way of typing, it has happened to me before. :( But that's fine, just as long as this keeps going. :D
Emerald chapter 17 . 5/8/2011
Okay, so I finally finished reading this awesome guide and I have some questions. I know this sounds stupid but pokemon with telepathy? I mean like a gardevor but say there's also a quagsire around at the same time in the conversation? Since gardevor can use telepathy the other one can too in the conversation? Is that too Mary-sue ish? Also what about meeting characters from the games? I know it sounds... Diff but can you offer advice on how to make that work? Also, I read your what if? fic. That was hilarious! Thanks, you are a GENIUS!
Emerald chapter 12 . 5/8/2011
BACON!I had BACON for breakfast! Lolz anyways, it's called emolga and when I said cyndaquil and magikarp are underused I mean that no one is original! It's just I went to the lab and chose cyndaquil because totadile is ugly and chikorita is weak!(NOT!-though I still chose cyndaquil) thanks for teaching us how not to be BORING! 8) xD
Emerald chapter 10 . 5/8/2011
Overused: pichu and pikachu, evee(duh), riolu, vulpix( even though it is my FAV pokemon it is getting irritating), yes shinx, zorua, dratini, beldum, buneary

Underused but very cool pokemon with/out awesome evolutions: Poochyena, budew, cyndaquil, turtwig, rufflet, klink, tirtouga, feebas, magikarp, grimer, magnemite, starly(staraptors are awesome!;) , purrlion, pidove, vanillite, cubchoo, sneasle, snover, geodude, wailmer, chatot, deerling, ducklett, poliwag, phanphy, sunkern, cottonee, delibird, snorunt, munchlax, litwick, wooper, happiny, voltorb, lotad, lickitung, and that's not all of um! #_# _ :] 8)
Electronico51 chapter 17 . 5/8/2011
I wouldnt really know whats overused or underused but from what I have seen.

Overused: Vulpix/Ninetails,Shinx,Cyndaquil (Cyndaquil is used in almost every Johto story) Wooper (But its not too overused) Dragonite.

Underused: Milktank,Oddish,Geodude,Tentacool,Spearow,Taillow and Skunktank.
Emerald chapter 9 . 5/8/2011
I ALMOST DIED READING THIS CHAPPIE! IT WAS TOO BORING! Oh wait, am I becoming over-dramatic sue? xD Thanks for making this story it's really helpful! 8)
Flamewulf chapter 17 . 5/8/2011
Overused: Vulpix

Shinx (?) - I'm not sure.

Feebas

Pichu (it's not a starter as Pikachu is, so it CAN be included here, I think)

Scyther