Reviews for The Adventures of Mary Sue
FlameUser64 chapter 25 . 1/7/2014
Uh... Yeah, Ash is a bit of a Stu, but he still has flaws. He's rash, impulsive, more than a little dense, and often says exactly the wrong thing when dealing with other people (especially Misty and Dawn). All of these regularly lead to the Stupid Problem of the Day. But he also has a seemingly magically awesome skill at climbing (which is brought up multiple times throughout the series), and cares for his friends and his Pokémon to the point of willingly sacrificing himself to save them. Hell, he jumps from the top of Prism Tower to save Pikachu in the second episode of the Kalos arc. This doesn't stop him from doing stupid stuff like locking May in an escape pod so she won't be in danger, of course. Nice mix of overprotective and overconfident right there.

And believe me, I am SO sick of seeing characters like May or Iris be made wimpy for the sake of the pairing. Because if you have to force it in such a blatant manner, then you suck at writing romance! For example, as a general note, Iris DOES NOT blush. Even if placed in an embarrassing situation, she just powers through it. She may make up increasingly-obvious lies that let the entire world know just how embarrassed she is, and that put her in an even deeper metaphorical pit trap than she was before, but she doesn't blush while doing so.
Max Saturday burns toasters chapter 25 . 1/6/2014
Yes , please do pokémon ranger
Max Saturday burns toasters chapter 24 . 1/4/2014
This I a very informative guide. What would happen if a Sue and Stu met.
Overused: pikachu, magikarp, eevee, growlithe.
Underused : meowth, pachirisu, unown, raichu, Pidgey.
Dragonsrule18 chapter 24 . 12/28/2013
Can't wait for your next chapter!
4477794 chapter 22 . 12/23/2013
Yup, we're all dumbasses in the beginning.

BUT, we're all gonna develop just like what fictional characters do (with the exception of real-life Mary Sue, of course). Come to think of it, my very first fanfic before it was abandoned has at least 5 chapters and 27 pages, FULL of boringness. I liked your writing guide (or story, whatever). So kudos to you.

Too bad you planned to end it at chapter 25-28. There's still a plenty of Mary Sues that haven't been discussed here. Such as Canon Sue, A Center-of-the-universe Sue (I'm Random suggested it), Hybrid Sue (mostly Gardevoir hybrid, I think), and many many more!

To narrow your choices, I hope you can write about Self-Insert Mary Sue. We both know that there's a lot of people who dreamed to be a trainer in their dreams. That's not a bad thing, actually, as long as you didn't write a story about yourself succeeding in EVERY part of your dream journey!

Or taming legendaries!

Or flirting with your waifu(s)!

Or having special powers like no other!

Or putting your friend's Self-Insert to make it more awesome! But no no no, NO. It's not going to work if your character is a Mary Sue. Self-Insert are bad, and they tend to spread it's disease to others.

If you need advice for that kind of Sue, you can PM me. I know one author that always keep this type of Mary Sue in every of his writing. Kudos once again!

-BlazingApollo/G.A.P.
FlameUser64 chapter 23 . 12/22/2013
Of course, there are also times where the relative specifics of a character's outfit become important; for instance, Latias in human form having her hair done up in a style that resembles her Ranger Sign, and of course having eyes the colour of yellow topaz. These can serve as important clues to the reader as to who she actually is without flat-out saying "oh look, it's Latias's human form!"

Of course, combining those two traits with a white-and-red outfit was probably a little much, in retrospect.
The Vulture Queen chapter 23 . 12/21/2013
Good chapter. Part of why I love this guide/story so much is that it really does have different things to give to every level of writer. Even though the guide is ostensibly made for less experienced writers, I think it's almost more entertaining for veteran readers and writers. I couldn't help but crack up (in public) reading the first example as I rolled my eyes and thought over all of the fics I've tried reading that started like that.

I particularly appreciated this guide because the "show not tell" mantra gets thrown around a lot in writing circles, but it isn't often that someone actually explains (with examples and a breakdown) what it means. Kudos to you for tackling the topic in a way that actually makes sense and explains what it's doing. Your sacrifice in the war against global infodump will not have been in vain.

To throw in some constructive criticism/suggestion, the guide is relatively sparse on how to avoid/handle what you call "interpretation" in first person narrative. Personal experience has taught me that presenting events and avoiding infodump is entirely different in the perspective. You do mention it briefly by referencing what a character might pay attention to, but it might still be worth making a note on if you ever edit/expand the chapter.

And on a totally unrelated note, I saw the story's classification as Horror today. I got a kick out of it.
Dragonsrule18 chapter 23 . 12/21/2013
Can you check my Pokemon stories if you have time? I'm worried I haven't got the "show, not tell" thing down and I want to make the best story I can.
The Vulture Queen chapter 22 . 12/19/2013
Good to see you back! I reread some of the other chapters before reading this one to get familiar with how it was formatted, so this update confused me a little. I wasn't sure if you were satirizing the overuse of details/overused quirks or genuinely trying to display how to slip in character details. Maybe clarifying that, unlike previous updates, you're trying to show a good example at the start would be helpful for new readers trying to move through.

Just a thought, make of it what you will.
Dragonsrule18 chapter 22 . 12/19/2013
Love your story!
Dragonsrule18 chapter 10 . 12/19/2013
What about winning an Eevee at the Game Corner?
Dragonsrule18 chapter 7 . 12/19/2013
Can a pseudo legendary be a pokemon gotten later in the story?
Dragonsrule18 chapter 6 . 12/19/2013
Actually, although I don't really read Pokemorphs, I think these stories have potential. I've read the Michael Vey series which involve kids with electrical powers trying to stop the pyschotic man who was responsible for their powers and is trying to use them to create a new world order and if was extremely good.
Dragonsrule18 chapter 4 . 12/19/2013
Mew and Mewtwo are probably really relieved right now! I think my game character is a Mary Sue. She uses Lugia for transportation, lol!
Dragonsrule18 chapter 3 . 12/19/2013
At least they made Anthony evil or at least not understand the consquences of his powers. That gave him a definite flaw.

They really make God Sues?
314 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »