Reviews for Rescues fail but friendships last forever
TorontoBatFan chapter 4 . 8/16/2012
Interesting fic.

I always thought that after the second reunion movie, the real reason the Howells financed The Castaways Hotel was so that they could essentially remain on the island, while still keeping in contact with civilization and being able to visit when they wanted to. Essentially, it was the best of both worlds for them.

Are you going to incorporate the second reunion movie into the fic?
Terri Spencer chapter 2 . 8/15/2012
I like your story with Gilligan. But didn't the his
family have a radio or television? They had a ticker
tape parade for the castaways somewhere in the movie.
Teobi chapter 3 . 1/19/2011
Herbert, Herbert, Herbert...whose idea were you. Mind you, on seeing the guy, I'm not surprised Mary Ann didn't want to marry him. Dork!

I loved in the movie how Gilligan kept sying "he waited fifteen years and you waited fifteen years, that makes thirty years!"

Oh, and the epically heroic way he rescued her..sigh.

I like the explanation for why Herbert waited fifteen years anyway. Mary Ann would have been shocked to find the wedding was still on after all that time. Luckily Cindy was still around.

Well, I don't know if you ever plan on updating this but I enjoyed reading it anyway. I'm just so glad you made Mary Ann and Gilligan into a proper couple. I feel all warm inside now.
Teobi chapter 2 . 1/19/2011
I didn't think they looked comfortable being back either. Even the Howells came to realise friendship meant more than money. (Yay Howells!)

Ha, love Ginger's beeyatch-ness at the beginning of the chapter. Mary Poppins and Tweedle Deum, because he's both of them. Not so, Ginger!

Oh, I really like the idea of Mary Ann and Gilligan having a baby that would be born and raised on the island. He or she would be like a little Mowgli running through the jungle with all his animal friends.

That's so nice that Mr. Howell helped them out with money until they got settled. He pretends to be all haughty and stuff but really he's a lovely, warm hearted man. Just don't tell him that!

Poor Gilligan nearly getting shot by his brother! But at first glance he would look very different- older for starters. (It took me a few minutes to get used to Bob Denver with longer hair- I mean, he has longer hair in Dusty's Trail but he still looks different to when Gilligan was younger.)

'Gilligan took a calm step towards him and touched the gun. "Easy Mark, trust me you don't want to kill someone anyway, not a good choice" he said soothingly.'- Gilligan's learned something from his experiences with Jonathan Kincaid.

Hmmm, yes, the mysterious 'Herbert'. On to chapter three...
Teobi chapter 1 . 1/19/2011
Hi! I watched the Rescue movie recently so it was great to see a story set around those events. Also, I'm really glad you made Gilligan a bit more mature (but atill goofy). After all those years he definitely would have grown up a little. He was always childlike, but he wasn't mentally arrested.

OMG I am such a sucker for MAG. I love all the tentative "should I tell her?" and "should I tell him?" Those two were born for each other. I'd pretty much want to be shipwrecked for the rest of my life if it meant I could be with my soulmate.

In the Rescue movie they never even alluded to any of the castaways reuniting with their own families. It would have been funny to see Mrs. Gilligan faint. Imagine if his mom was klutzy too.

Awww, cute kiss! And sweet that Gilligan wants to be part of a couple but not 'all the mushy stuff you girls do'.

er, Gilligan...that's not quite how it works. There might have to be SOME mushy stuff involved!

LOL I like how you wrote 'probably not realistic'. So what! MA and G belong together. I'm glad you did it. Besides it's a lot more realistic than what actually happened in the darn Rescue movie.
Lilly chapter 1 . 10/8/2010
Oh my goodness that was really sweet! I absolutely love Gilligan and Mary Ann as a couple! They were such good friends that it only makes sense!
callensensei chapter 3 . 10/6/2010
I'm glad you explained away that ridiculous Herbert from the movie! Talk about continuity glitches! I'm waiting for someone to explain away Thurston Howell the Fourth. (I say he's a nephew!)

Hooray, hooray for Mr. Howell! He would indeed use the word vermin, and I that was one of my favourite scenes in the movie. Can't wait to hear his version of the incident!
callensensei chapter 2 . 10/6/2010
Of course Mrs. Howell would be thrilled at the turn of events. She predicted it all those years ago!

It certainly would be a shock the the castaways' families to see their loved ones alive after so many years of presuming them dead. No wonder Mrs. Gilligan fainted! But how sad, yet plausible, that Gilligan feels like a stranger to the next generation of his family. He is, even to his current family, because he's changed so much. All the castaways have.

Nice touches of humour alleviate some of the poignancy. I loved Ginger's comment, "Am I bunking with him now?" I guess they will have to work that out!
Maudlin Mush chapter 3 . 10/4/2010
wow! I love the way you've brought the castaways together to discuss all they've been through since they've gone home and returned. Wonderful! I look forward to the ensuing chapters!
JWood201 chapter 3 . 10/4/2010
Aw, I got a shout-out! Thanks!

I can barely read as fast as you update, girl! It's fascinating to hear your take on why the castaways didn't enjoy civilization and kudos for working around the awful Herbert storyline. You made an impossibly bad plot choice make sense and I applaud you for that!

The only thing I would say constructively, though, is to maybe slow down a bit. As much as I love new posts every day, take your time with each chapter to edit, rethink, and flesh out the chapter a bit. The chapters aren't short, but they seem to fly by and we get a lot of information very quickly. I'd also watch out for the characters' voices. They're not out of character by any means, but each has their own idiosyncracies and things they tend to say a lot, so adding some of those in in would distinguish each castaway a bit more.

Great job, though! I can't wait to see what you come up with for the rest of them!
Maudlin Mush chapter 1 . 10/3/2010
ahhh, it was sweet. I prefer a less goofy Gilligan and Maryann has always been his champion. Thanks for the story.
callensensei chapter 1 . 10/3/2010
Wow! Talk about original! Not because it's MAG, but because it's very rare that you see a GI fic set after one of the movies. This moves us on quite a bit in the castaways' relationships, and their lives as well.

That opening scene was just a bit chilling, and I could understand Mary Ann's worry at the silence. But the other castaways' shock and anger was believable, for the moment. You do indicate that they'll come 'round eventually, and it seems right that Mary Ann will be the first to get over any anger and try to find her friend.

I'll backtrack and say that this is an original MAG, since these are now two old friends who realize they still have a chance at love, and after nearly missing it by being rescued they are not going to miss it again. (And as both Mary Ann and Gilligan are still in their mid-thirties, they could have children.)

But what impressed me the most was your melancholy take on the rescue itself, which took the film's theme one step further. We never saw how the castaways' families reacted to their return, but the idea that the castaways have become strangers to their families is very likely, though very sad. Perhaps not to their parents, but to their siblings and certainly the next generation, the castaways are very changed people. The one true home and family they have left is the one they made on the island.

Your title is perfect. The rescues fail because to the castaways, being with their friends on the island is truly being saved.
JWood201 chapter 1 . 10/3/2010
Ali! You're too cute! The theme and plot of the story is simple, but I actually think it was genius to set it after the reunion movie. Everyone tends to ignore the movies and write for the show, but I love how you thought outside the box to set it there. I'm jealous I didn't think of it!

I always hated that whole Herbert business (WHERE DID HE COME FROM?), so I'm glad you took it into account. I would've liked MA to attempt to explain where he came from, why she was going to marry him, etc, but I guess that wasn't the point of this story.

I didn't realize you were so hardcore MAG! I'm glad there's another one here with me. :)