Reviews for Observations
godessdestruction chapter 25 . 6/24/2013
This is an incredible One Shot!
As a fan of the character The Architect, this fanfiction does for him what Bioware failed to do: give him a past, or at least an overall vision of what would be the evolution of the character since its birth, so that we may better understand him and his esoteric motivations. And you do it marvelously, with much sensitivity and poetic language.

I hope more fans of the Architect come read your One Shot. It is simple, yet comprehensive, providing an insight of this mysterious and alluring character.
Reyavie chapter 29 . 3/31/2012
I never really tried thinking too much about how Niall would feel, trapped and left behind in the Fade while the Warden enters and leaves him behind. It's bitter, really. It's like he sees everything much better while trapped than outside. And it made me incredibly sad for him.

I don't know. You made me believe he could become a spirit instead of dying out. Odd but it'd fit with this image.

Well done :)
Shakespira chapter 29 . 3/8/2012
I am having trouble forming coherent thought after reading this very moving, heartrending piece.

This: "Or did it all boil down to human nature, and the innate tendency to fear anything perceived to be more powerful than they?" Powerful truth in that, as there was in this: "The influence of the demons grew because of the antipathy and avarice; the loathing and longings of all the people, not just the mages."

You have such a gift for cutting through everything else to touch the heart and soul of your reader with the simple elegance of your writing.

Only one more? I'll be sad to see it end. But grateful that you shared your gift.
mutive chapter 29 . 3/8/2012
Oh, I love evil Niall. And he does make an awful lot of good points. Hmmm...a fun read as always! (And I totally get life being eaten by video games. Oh well...)
Ygrain33 chapter 29 . 3/8/2012
"Those who shared his dream, unfortunately, were usually the quietest of the group. And now in death, trapped here in the Fade, no one could hear him. Even fewer remembered what he had once stood for: peace.

Niall prayed the quiet ones would learn to speak, before it was too late for them all."

So sadly true, and such powerful end lines. Excellent, as always.
ChampionTheWonderSnail chapter 29 . 3/8/2012
It took me more than several minutes to collect my thoughts in order to write this. Firstly, every chapter of this series has been so powerful, so affecting in so many ways, that the emotions and thoughts evoked linger for a very long time afterwards. It feels as though it was only yesterday or a few days ago, that I read your last chapter and even though I know Niall's chapter has been a long time coming, it still feels as though very little time has passed in between.

Niall's thoughts has been captured so brilliantly; his despair and yet despite it all, the faint glimmer of hope as well. I can never say enough times how much of a masterful (mistressful?) way you have with the written word. This chapter opens slowly like a rare flower that blooms only once a year; revealing a new facet of beauty. Niall's observations of the events in Kirkwall are so frighteningly true, one wonders what kinds of thoughts he harbours about Anders. Trapped in the Fade we can hear this gentle Mage's heart breaking.

Only one chapter left? This truly saddens me...But I am glad that you have shared all this wonderful colour with us.

Thank you.
JayRain chapter 29 . 3/8/2012
Oh wow, this has such depth to it. At first I thought it might be about Justice; then possibly First Enchanter Orsino. The curiosity kept me reading eagerly as much as did your way with words. But to get to the end and see that it's Niall? To know that after all this time he's still trapped in the Fade, unable to escape and sensing all the terrible things happening in the world he was once a part of, and the connection to the world he's in now? It gave me shivers. Once again you've provided not just an observation, but a keen change of perspective. Nicely done.
interesting2125 chapter 29 . 3/7/2012
Oh, how the quiet ones suffer. Anders would probably say that their silence is as big a sin as the fanatics' rantings, but then, Anders is just mean.

Niall's character was kind of in the background of my game, and I must say I never really stopped much to consider his POV. I enjoyed the way you added depth and worked in some foresight about the brewing conflict. A fitting parable for the common folks.
Enaid Aderyn chapter 29 . 3/7/2012
Niall! T_T This is so eminently plausible to me, and so heartbreaking that the one who simply wanted to be in peace, if not make a difference, is trapped like this.

"The influence of the demons grew because of the antipathy and avarice; the loathing and longings of all the people, not just the mages." Yes! This!

And of course you speak with such beautiful eloquence to the world at large, not just DA.

And why wasn't this in favorites? *click*
Abydos Jackson chapter 29 . 3/7/2012
Aww...only one more? :-D Nice piece as usual. Your writing is always so poetic and lyrical. :-)
Kendoka Girl chapter 28 . 9/25/2011
This is odd, I could have sworn I left a review for this, but it doesn't show up. :P I swear, the taint is getting to my brain and my memory is going.

Chilling dream encounter with the archdemon! I could see the Warden's final days like that, wrestling with her decisions and making plans to see what happens with the Architect. :D
Kendoka Girl chapter 27 . 9/25/2011
Oghren can be a tough one to write for, but this really taps deep into his character. That was always the thing I wondered about his berserker mentality was how he would turn it off and it would surely get him into trouble. It was great to see his "redemption." :D
Enaid Aderyn chapter 28 . 9/21/2011
Gods, Rox, this is powerful. Heartbreaking and evocative, that the very act of being a hero is itself what destroys the belief they can exist. That last line brought tears to my eyes.
Reyavie chapter 28 . 9/21/2011
What's this about ending? What? What? ;.;

Ahem. This was. Well, what I came to expect from you. Beautiful, heart-breaking pure anguish and reality. No non-sense. I see here Dignity, trying to redeem herself from the mistake she did. Or a bad calling, none can be right all the time. That said, lovely and sad all at once. Well done.
JayRain chapter 28 . 9/20/2011
This was very chilling, and yet so very realistic a portrayal of what the Warden would eventually become. You do a nice job of summarizing the years without dumping information. And Elissa's loneliness, but to-the-end defiance, is a true mark of her character. The most touching line, in my opinion, is that she needs no companions this time, because this time she is expendable. It's haunting that she's going to her death feeling this way even after all she did to help save Ferelden. But your piece is called 'Observations'. And not all that we observe is happy. Well done.