Reviews for Moonlight and Mists
Wayward AMP chapter 3 . 7/10/2014
An interesting story, plausibly settled into Ravenloft. No complaints about format, language, or grammar either. Crafty idea to use chapters for an anthology. Thanks, for sharing! Oh, and as you like Sherlock Holmes... . wrote 5 stories about his own renamed Sherlock (Hector ?) settled into Ravenloft, too. Two of them I liked very much, made me regret I couldn't invite him over here to FFnet. Bye!
Razell chapter 5 . 5/16/2012
Excellent stories! As I've said before you have a talent for both mystery and horror. Suspense, tragedy... The last line, "I wish they had been right." That was somehow sad and horrifying at the same time, to be in such a horrible state. Once again, I didn't see the ending coming, I thought she was a Penanggalan? (Is that how it's spelled?), though they usually prey only on women. There are so many horrors in the Ravenloft/Gothic Earth setting that anyone could be anything, nothing is ever as it seems. You've captured that very well,indeed.
Razell chapter 2 . 5/14/2012
Trust No One. You surprised me there, I thought it would be the wolves trying to get their territory back. You have a true talent for suspense and the unexpected.
Razell chapter 1 . 5/13/2012
At first I was afraid this would be a story about "The Gentleman Caller", after all, this is The Demiplane of Dread. You did a great job portraying the costs of so-called 'victimless' crime. And running it as a mystery instead of just pure horror was an excellent idea, I even thought I knew who the thief was! I don't much like it either the way we tend to glorify criminals in our society. I'm looking forward to reading more of your stories!
GeshronTyler chapter 5 . 11/5/2010
Not young Dr. Frankenst_ie_n, then? _

Only the head of his wife? Did some graverobbing then? Or body-snatching, rather.
GeshronTyler chapter 4 . 10/23/2010
I've read a science fiction short somewhat in this vein, wherein some person stalking a victim shows himself to be something more than some mundane serial killer, only to find that his victim... isn't. Big fish and bigger fish and all that.
GeshronTyler chapter 3 . 10/18/2010
I didn't get the "sheeps clothing" bit, but I did expect the guy in the cloak, being the only one apparently dressed for the outside, and the only one that didn't look somewhat "upper crust".
IzanagiMikoto chapter 1 . 10/13/2010
I've got mixed feelings about the Gentlemen Rogue genre, but I definitely liked your portrayal of the Moonlight Rogue. Rather than being some Robin Hood sort of character, he's a purely hedonistic, spoiled rich boy who thinks its all a game.

As far as narration goes, I liked the little tidbits/sneak peaks at these "peripheral costs" he inflicts on society. Each little side story colored the Moonlight Rogue's actions in a negative light and felt very real. The suicide totally grossed me out though. Suicide by itself is tragic, especially for a guy that I infer from the reading was innocent. The manner by which it was carried out had me wishing I could turn away.

The only criticism I would have about the narration is that it feels like someone other than Osgul would've been a better choice. Tasya seems like a much more interesting character, and I'm a lot more interested in what she was up to, if anything aside from staking out the place. The steps and preparation for defense becomes almost moot point with the ease that the Rogue takes them out with sleeping gas.

The only other thing I can think of is that I wanted the Rogue to have suffered more. We read the manner in which he is viciously killed but its from Tasya's POV. We didn't get to know how terrified Aric was in his last moments since we can't see into his head. Naturally, I assume he was scared out of his mind, but for someone who got his just deserts and was the target/antagonist of this story, his final thoughts are absent, like icing or filling missing from the cake.

Overall, another well written piece. Got problems with my review window so I'll submit a review for chapter 2 later.
Pope William T Wodium chapter 2 . 10/11/2010
I called half the twist once we noticed our protagonist's wound, but I wasn't expecting *both* cups to be poisoned, so to speak. Nicely done.

Reminds of a Ravenloft module I was fond of, acutally.
GeshronTyler chapter 2 . 10/10/2010
Yup, I thought so. _ Treacherous Eve, indeed.
For Spite chapter 1 . 10/7/2010
It was a well-written piece and your stance is quite correct. The only way someone like this can possibly be a hero, like most criminals, is when the opposition is worse. Even if the damage is something the victim can safely absorb it has nasty side effects ("Going Postal" by Terry Pratchett ends up addressing that issue with con men) so in the end the only way it becomes justifiable is if you're RUINING someone who is simply too horrible to be allowed the kind of power that comes with being vastly wealthy. That's not a game and that still will have 'collateral damage' but it becomes a 'for the greater good' (and, probably, revenge) kind of thing.

Of course, this and most other such cases aren't really such a thing and so it was fun to see the tables turned (it was especially funny to see the Vampire Secret Police as the lesser evil but that is rather what they are here since anything that undermines the social order is only a better option when it's encouraging a positive change rather than simple anarchy).

Well, I just got way too wordy but, basically, I enjoyed it, nice speech at the end, original take on an often misused concept, good spelling and grammar, etc.
GeshronTyler chapter 1 . 10/7/2010
Yes, a bit of a dark twist on the idea. I do have the general impression that the Constabulary isn't exactly selecting for Sherlock-level competence, though. The Kargat's little speech was a nice touch, considering the dark nature of the setting. The culprit being someone for whom the "rules" didn't normally apply was good bit as well. Including his "bad" end. _