Reviews for From Scratch
really chapter 2 . 8/29/2015
you must hate shifu or something cuz while this is hilarious i cant help but pity shifu
Mjoern chapter 5 . 6/30/2015
lol when I saw all the cooking pun in the chapter's name, I knew you would put a ratatouille reference in there..
and it was majestic!
I was like NOooo! WTF I was right!
Mjoern chapter 4 . 6/30/2015
wasn't she trying to get proves that Tai Lung was still alive?
why would she want to conceal this?
Anyway I hope that when they meet Tai Lung will not be too harsh with her because she left and abandon him a bit like Shifu did..
Guest chapter 11 . 6/3/2015
finally after all this time they've finally done it! not quiet what i was expecting i was expecting the aftermath to be better... i didn't think Shifu would be that bad lolz i was expecting the sweeter outcome between the two but there we go it is lin and shifu...I'm so happy they made up though, was not expecting weishan to be one of the biggest and baddest criminal in china what a shocker! very interested to see tai lungs rehabilitation in the long shot, what now shifu has a daughter how is that even possible shes canine! plz update soon
Anasazi Darkmoon chapter 11 . 6/2/2015
Aww, now that's just evil! And a little baffling. :P But you definitely have me wanting to read more.
nievelion chapter 10 . 5/6/2015
Sorry about taking so long to get back to you with a review, but I've been busy myself, with job-seeking, relationship issues, writing...but anyway, here I am! And I'm glad you didn't give up on this story.

So for highlights of these three chapters I have to say: Lin’s fire-breathing trick; Viper schooling the guys; the palm-reading scene (was Lin saying she'd met Esmeralda and Quasimodo?); Lin’s wonderful heart to heart with Shifu about Tai before they arrived in Shanghai; Wei-Shan and Shifu sharing a grave nod about having to deal with Lin; Chapter 9's title; Shifu being the one to do hilarious non-sequiturs now (and generally holding his own with Lin); Wei-Shan wanting Shifu to treat Lin right; Shifu carrying Lin back from the abandoned bar.

Po helping Tigress train with the nerve strikes is both hilarious and faintly ominous; I get the feeling something is going to go very wrong there, either because she isn't ready or because something (the British?) force them to go too fast in the training. But that may be the only way to win. Which on that note, while I think Lin (and Wei-Shan) are absolutely right that Tai shouldn't be taken back to the Valley yet (especially as we know he's plotting revenge and he admits as much himself), the fact she wants to stay in Shanghai with him is rather bad due to outside events, namely her not receiving Rahim's letter and Shifu not being on-hand to help with the invasion. I am wondering if you're planning to keep the two plotlines running separately (Po and the Five handle the new threat while Shifu and Lin deal with Tai and each other); if so that would certainly be a departure from the usual "Tai helps defeat an enemy to redeem himself" trope. But then it makes me wonder how or even if he can be saved without such an event. Either way it will certainly be intriguing to see how you play this out.

Speaking of Rahim, it's quite obvious that between who he sent the letter to, Lin's tattoo, and her constant references to being with a Bengal that Rahim was the tiger she slept with. To which I can only say: lucky b*tch (literally). Too bad though it looks like they won't be reunited until, perhaps, near the end of the story. I am also getting more and more curious about this wolf, and something about her final exchange with the Wu Sisters has me a bit concerned.

As far as Tai goes, nothing much seems to be changing there, but I was very struck by the moment when he told Shifu to leave and sounded both exhausted and hurt; I think (as usual) that that was his real self and feelings that he hides behind resentment, revenge, and sarcasm. And while on the one hand it's good his meeting with Shifu didn't end as badly as it could have, they have their work cut out for them. Lin is right, though: the child she knew is still in there. They just have to reach him.

I have to say that as much fun as it was seeing Lin and Chen go at it when they first arrived, I also had to enjoy it at face value, because the more we see of him, the less I like him. In fact I was rather furious at the way he treated both Lin and Shifu. Even if to some degree Shifu deserved it for the things he said about Lin (I know what he actually meant, but the bit where he said there was nothing she could teach Tai had me wanting to slap him), Chen was still way out of line, and the part where she talked to him in his studio about Oogway was almost as nasty. If it weren't for things like his gorgeous studio (with the beautiful painting of Lin-why am I getting vibes of Toph from Avatar, with the contrast between her rich formal upbringing and her tomboyish, crude self?) or the sad detail about him never getting married or having the kids he built all those rooms for, I'd write him off altogether as the various nasty names Lin calls him.

By contrast, Wei-Shan remains amusing and dippy as ever (if surprisingly lecherous), and Yan-Yan as always is a breath of fresh air. Her anger and resentment toward Lin are realistic and painful, but I love how they manage to come to terms and be friends again, and they do make a deliciously fun team. And I love how even though she isn't nasty with Shifu and is even willing to help him, both with Lin and Tai, she never backs down from him either and speaks her mind. Shifu needs more people like her, since she's more likely to show him what he absolutely must change in himself, without alienating him the way Lin and Chen do.

As for the main big thing...I have to say that as always, the back-and-forth on Lin and Shifu's relationship is so painful: Lin alternately getting Shifu and not, him getting her and not, their heart-to-hearts vs. their arguments, their sweet and heartwarming makeouts vs. him actually pinning her down like that on the bed (which horrified me even as I knew he didn't at all mean it the way it looked)...what is also so upsetting is how, as always, they're both right and wrong in so many ways. The argument about whether Tai should stay in Shanghai is a prime example, as is the argument about Oogway's sending: Lin absolutely does understand why not getting contacted hurt Shifu, while he was horrible to her for thinking she could interfere with Tai/spiritual matters, but she was dismissive of his feelings at first and wouldn't bother to explain herself in front of the others, and without that explanation he had every right to be confused and angry about being ignored. They're both stubborn as hell, and full of pride, and neither is accustomed to explaining themselves or sharing their thoughts and reasoning, let alone their innermost feelings. It's why they will always be at odds and willing to argue until such point as they both let those walls down, but once they do they'll be a rock-solid team, I think.

And while I'd be an idiot to think them finally sleeping together will change or solve any of that, at least they've finally taken that step, which for them IS important-because without it, Lin refuses to think Shifu seriously wants her, and he refuses to believe she isn't just waiting to yank the rug out from under him and mock him. There's a lot of underlying issues to deal with (particularly him being afraid to open up and get hurt again, something he doesn't realize is also true of her), but getting past this hurdle is a big moment for them.

One final bit: I had to feel a bit uncomfortable about Yan-Yan and Lin's sex talk, as even for your writing style it seemed way too frank and adult for Kung Fu Panda...but I also allow that it makes perfect sense for their characters and their relationship, it was funny as hell, and it's very true to how close friends (especially ones of the same gender) talk about such matters. So I think I just need to get over my kneejerk reaction...though I still doubt we really needed that TMI on Wei-Shan. Just saying. :P
CookBoss88 chapter 10 . 1/26/2015
If Lisa Lampaneli could see one of Lin's lines, she'd be proud! :) (YouTube her if you don't know who she is, she's hilarious!)

Love the sexual tension!

Please keep writing :)

PS: no pressure! ;)
PieLover314 chapter 10 . 1/19/2015
You know, every chapter its like 'They just need to do it because the sexual tension is just so thick.' But I never actually expected it to happen.
Also, the situation with Tai Lung is going to be interesting to see what happens with him.
Babycakes22 chapter 9 . 11/10/2014
What a reunion! well at least no one was sent to the hospital this time -_- hmm wonder who's Lin's message is from? ooooh Lin and Shifu things are beginning to get steamy between the two lolz
jokes aside i love these emotional moments between the two it really shows how far they've come i had a feeling about wei shan so I'm really glad Shifu and him had it out in the open bad Lin! cute ending plz update soon :D
Babycakes22 chapter 8 . 11/1/2014
I'm so so happy you decided to continue this story! I really thought for a second there you'd never return! I can see Lin's still as amazingly bizarre as where you left off ;) and Shifu thank god she finally told him, how dense can ya be! the palm reading though loved it so clever and sweet! dun dun dun shifu, Lin and Tai lung in the same room umm think Yan-Yan may haft'o sit on a few animals here...
Plz update soon :D
Anasazi Darkmoon chapter 8 . 10/28/2014
Oh lord, I have missed this story and Lin's antics! Totally gonna go back and reread all this, just to get it refreshed in my mind. :D
Bowtie Lion chapter 8 . 10/28/2014
It's good to see you back posting amazing chapters of such a great story! I found this one to be both funny and endearing. I like the fact that Lin can hold her own in a battle, especially an argument! Very excited to see what happens in the next chapter because I want to see what hapens when Shifu and Tai Lung come face to face and because I like the interactions of the characters that live in Chen's house and how they all drive "the fat badger" insane! Can't wait for the next update!
FashionablyHospitable chapter 7 . 4/12/2014
Uh, you okay?

Your fics are lovely, hope you're alive.
Guest chapter 7 . 8/11/2013
So there gonna be a chapter 8 right?
Guest chapter 7 . 8/11/2013
What happen to this story. I just read both blue plate special and this story and fallen madly in love. Are you off traveling world? Should I come back in 33 years? I would love if you car back to this story and updated it. I don't think I can find another story like this one and I'm too lazy to try. Please update again I just read it and I need more. Or my mild will go wild and ill land in a nuthouse. Please continue!
68 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »