Reviews for From Scratch
nievelion chapter 7 . 6/4/2011
Oh, Tai...so near and yet so far:

He'd lay low, learn their greatest weaknesses... And then strike. So what if the panda was the Dragon Warrior? It wasn't as if Oogway had actually written anything in that damn scroll, the old coot. "Dragon Warrior" was just a title, and he'd show them all that he was better than that, that he was above a meaningless label. His loss to the panda had been a fluke- one that would not happen twice.

Once again, of course, you prove how well you understand Tai Lung's mindset. This is exactly how he'd feel after Po defeated him. Assuming he didn't understand what the scroll meant, or accept that he was never the Dragon Warrior because he didn't really believe in himself. At the same time, he's absolutely right about it being just a title, but instead of proving he doesn't need a label to be great, he's trying to prove he's so great he doesn't need a label. Backwards thinking. And he's also right about his loss to Po being a fluke, since a great deal of the reason he lost was his temper. Then again, even assuming he really can learn control (and good on him for finally realizing one of his main flaws and control it!), the fact Po just keeps learning kung fu so rapidly and well may mean that won't matter.

Meanwhile: love the way Chen keeps disarming Tai's barbs and pomposity; love the added kung fu details (I assume you made that up about the trident? I can't recall anything like that being on the KFP site); love Wei-Shan's comment on Tai's fluffiness, and him finding Tai and Yan's relationship "funny" (indeed, it's both kinds!); and Yan is so right about tough guys being babies.

What is up with Yan interrupting right as Wei-Shan was going to talk about Lady Wu? Does she actually know about her connection to Shifu and the Wu Sisters, and want to keep it from Tai? Or was her interruption a coincidence? (Love the continued ragging on Tai's accent too.)

Finally, ROTFL at poor Tai, finding Yan attractive, trying not to think about it, finally blurting it out, and then falling for it hook line and seeker when she led him on into thinking she was going to kiss him (or more). Of course we all know she does want to (her not-so-subtle hint here about preferring bad boys would give it away, if we hadn't already been privy to her thoughts on the matter) but she'll do it when she's good and ready. And man does Tai need a woman like her to keep him on his toes. He doesn't stand a chance...but I have the feeling he'll be quite happy in the end, if he can ever let go of his revenge schemes.

The whole bit with Shifu on the road with Lin was as hilarious as I expected it to be. And while it wasn't fair of Lin to think he'd remember every detail of their relationship just because she did (heck, I forgot about the honeysuckle myself, and I only read about it, what, a year or so ago, rather than 30?), I can understand why she felt hurt. And in the end whole scene, from the nostalgia to the tickling to the spooning was so wonderfully sweet, beautiful, and emotionally affecting. I was especially moved by Lin's understanding of what Shifu was going through with Tai, and her bit of wisdom about doing what you want and doing what is right being the same thing.

Crane, loosen up a little, your form is looking stiff. Mantis, don't you dare laugh. Monkey, quit playing with your staff and get on the obstacle course. Mantis, I told you not to laugh! -LOL!

Speaking of funny...the Wu Sisters as the Golden Girls was the funniest thing I've read in a good long time. And I recognized each of them right away-Qiang was the final nail. You did such a good job of capturing their personalities (I am fairly sure at least some of their lines, especially the town named after three brothers, are direct from the show, but some of it seemed new too) that I could really hear Bea Arthur, Rue McClanahan, and Betty White. Comedy gold! And some interesting info revealed-that they are not literal sisters this time around, that Shifu knew their mistress, and them knowing about the invasion from Bengal. Will be interesting to see what info Shifu can get out of Lin in the morning...

Lastly, I still can't get over how well you write Po. Especially his inane babbling when he keeps digging himself deeper-I laughed out loud both times, but especially when he was desperately trying not to sound like a stalker with a crush. The way you are hinting at the building relationship between him and Tigress is very well done too. While I am still not sure about Pogress, it looks like based on KFP2 that I need to get used to it. In which case your story, like others, will be a big help. To be fair it's not that I think them as a couple is impossible-the way Tigress came to respect Po once she realized he wasn't the disrespectful screw-up she thought he was and he defeated Tai, how she mellowed during the end credits, and especially how she acted in the Christmas special, are all good indications that she and Po could work. And I know opposites attract but...I don't know. Maybe my problem is that I think they work better as friends and I am afraid turning it into a romance will ruin the friendship? I guess we'll see.

And why do I have the feeling that Tigress learning the nerve strike will be a lot more important to the plot than just helping her feel confident in herself again and making Shifu mad at her when he finds out? I just hope it's used against the invading army, not Tai.

Still waiting also to learn more about that wolf...and see what happens if Tigress meets Rahim. :P
SensiblyScrewy chapter 7 . 5/8/2011
Poor Shifu. At least she didn't burp this time. Or knee him in the crotch. Though.. Eheh. Anyways. Awesome chapter! Laughed my ass off. I seriously like Yan-Yan. ;)_
Bowtie Lion chapter 7 . 5/6/2011
I honestly thought that it was going to take you longer but here it is! I really liked this chapter a lot. Thank you for making Shifu's journey a living hell, courtesy of Lin, it's so much fun watching him suffer like that. Things seem to be heating up between Shifuu and Lin, as well as Tai Lung and Yan-Yan, I knew that the were going to get along sooner or later but I never thought that they might be meant for each other. I like Wei Shan, he reminds me of one of my OCs who is easily distracted, I'm prety sure Tai Lung will find him annoying just like my character. I get the feeling Tigress' nerve strike training will end up badly for someone. I would like to know the story of Shifu and Lady Wu, it sounded interesting and sex scandal-filled. Hope the next update comes as soon as possible cause to be honest I would rather know more about this story than to go see the actual sequel of KFP. Amazing chapter, keep up the good work.
nievelion chapter 6 . 4/4/2011
First off-I love Viper, she is hilarious, especially in handling Po and the four males of the Five. But while Tigress does need to accept the truth about Shifu and Lin (though it looks like Lin's confession may have precipitated that), Viper does need to learn when to back off. A trait she seems to always have in KFP fics, it seems... Loved the opening bit with all the Five in general, can't wait to see what happens with them while Shifu is away!

This chapter really shows how suited Shifu and Lin are for each other-because they both have good sides, they make good points, they elicit sympathy and understanding in the reader...but they are also dense, abrasive, annoying, blind, and bring most of their bad karma on themselves. For Shifu's part, while he has a right to be aghast that Po blabbed about the letter, and him going to Shanghai with Lin, it's his own fault-Po wouldn't have known if he hadn't told him about the letter and tried to get him to pry info about it out of Lin. He is also genuinely obtuse, thinking that telling Lin he sees no point in her going to Shanghai because she doesn't know kung fu might not make her feel useless and offended.

On the other hand, the scene with him and Oogway's portrait was very poignant and painful and revealed a lot about why he is the way he is right now. (Not that it justifies the terrible way he was treating Po. I know he can't change overnight from how he was in the movie, but jeez!) And he DID have very good points about Lin leaving him, not being around for Tai Lung, and not telling him about her meeting with the snow leopard. Plus if she had told him earlier, and that she had managed to calm him down a little and not get killed, that might have raised her cred in being able to help now. On the other hand, considering at least some of how Tai went wrong was due to Lin's example in the first place...

On Lin's side, she is absolutely right to be angry that Shifu considers her useless (or seems to) just because she doesn't know kung fu. Her staying around wouldn't necessarily have prevented Tai turning out as he did, though it would give her more info which could help now-though having a mostly outside objective participant may help too. And Shifu is utterly dense when he doesn't see why she is offended, or realize she came back to the Valley for him and only him, and why. Her explanation for why she felt trapped, but wasn't blaming him for it, was especially well written. Still, once he did understand, things got a lot more tender and open between them, if only for a little bit.

But like Shifu, her biggest problem seems to be her mouth. On the one hand, she can't keep it shut and hold back things she really shouldn't say, and on the other hand even when she has something important to say, she always manages to find the worst possible way to say it. Case in point, her little talk with Tigress. I'm glad it managed to be as civil as it was...but I do hope once Tigress calms down from the news she received, she'll realize Lin wasn't trying to manipulate her, just make peace for Shifu's sake. (And everyone's health and sanity.) As for her and Shifu...I want them to be together and be happy (or the closest they can come to that), but it's going to be a long road still (and I don't just mean the one to Shanghai), and they'll both have to change to make it happen.

Very much wondering who Tai's "friend" will be. And of course wondering what will happen next. Sorry to hear about the writing delay but believe me I understand. Will be waiting for more when you get to it!
Ulver33 chapter 6 . 3/28/2011
I am sorry to hear that we have to wait for another chapter, but they are always worth the wait. Of course the humor between Lin and Shifu is always hilarious and I can't wait to read how their trip goes. Curious how Tigress will deal with the gang back at the palace too. Great chapter.
SensiblyScrewy chapter 6 . 3/28/2011
This, ma'am, is the perfect way to start off a spring break. So, thanks for the laughter, and I'll be keeping an eye out in May! ;)_
Bowtie Lion chapter 6 . 3/27/2011
They are not going to make it to Shanghai one piece if they keep fighting. I am sure that plenty of sparks will fly during their trip. Someone else will know of Tai Lung's existence? Seriously, I hope Chen beats the crap out of Shifu for actually wishing that Lin had killed him with her guns. Good chapter, hope there's more insults for Shifu in the next one.
nievelion chapter 5 . 2/19/2011
First off, it is once again so good to see Yan-Yan agreeing with us Tai fans: "I blame the abs. And the pecs. And the biceps." :D On the prospect of her trying to make her ex jealous...that is not at all a good reason to start a relationship with Tai, but she is enough like Tigress, and she can clearly handle him when no one else can. Not to mention she can understand and sympathize too. Even with her All Girls Want Bad Boys meantality, I hope they get together.

I also have to reiterate: your Tai Lung is so much truer to the movie than mine is. So much nastier, meaner, crueler. Certainly I didn't make him set on revenge the way yours is. And you definitely represented the crimes of the rampage (both what they were in detail and how they fit into Chinese law and morality) much better than I did. Heck, you even did it better than Luna. So I'd say I was wrong in calling your Tai's characterization based off of mine and Luna's-you've surpassed ours, and I bow to your better writing skill and characterization.

I can see it will be interesting when Yan Yan meets Lin again, considering there seems to be some fairly justifiable resentment there...

Wow...I can imagine Tai having nightmares, and Po, but Shifu? I never even though of such a thing, what an amazing way to add depth and emotion to his character. Lin comforting him, even in her own way, was really rather sweet. And Shifu's simple, quiet "All right. Love" was heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. How she is so concerned for him and wants to tell him about Tai is also very touching, and surprising. I guess, like the Five, I still have things to learn about the goodness and kindness that is hidden way, way, WAY down under that crusty raunchy exterior. Thank you for opening my eyes.

Now...how embarrassing, to have your little brother be bigger than you (and seemingly hotter). Then again, clearly the hotness runs in the family, as does the randyness, so maybe Rahim didn't lose out that much after all. ;) Also, was Manan implying he himself doesn't have good sense, since his son didn't take after his mother in that regard? Because he seems pretty sensible to me. And yes, hot, though my love of Rahim hasn't lessened one bit. Particularly because he is such an honorable tiger who clearly doesn't want to see China and the Valley of Peace attacked—and not just because of the selfish reason of India being caught up in it. Though I do wonder how he knows of the Valley—just because it is famous, or is there more to it?

So you are indeed pursuing the plot I thought you were, not that you were exactly hiding it. I am fascinated, excited, and concerned all at once, wondering where you are going with this and how far you'll go. Not to mention puzzled as to whom Rahim's "insane woman" is—the first person who leaps to mind that fits that description is manifestly impossible. But I have a couple others in mind... And I wonder if she is the one he is going to contact, or someone else... Plot! Thickening! As to whether he and Tigress will get together, who knows—he is a little old for her, but then so was Tai Lung, hah!—but not every tiger who appears in a KFP story has to end up with Tigress. It will at least be interesting seeing them meet.

Other things I loved: seeing Lin and Shifu together period, I never get tired of it; the hilarious but brilliant code in the letter; Po not being able to meditate because of cooking smells; Lin being a grandmother to him. Poor Po, but you're right it is fun to torture him too, look at what I did with him in my vignettes. ;) ROTFL at Chen stopping a volcano erupting—I’m with Po, I could almost believe that! And an even bigger ROTFL at Po thinking Lin was some secret great kung fu master. You’re making fun of me for thinking that, aren’t you? :P Also, Shifu 3'ing Chen, and his Digging Himself Deeper moment.

As usual, you're also doing so well at showing your own takes on fanon concepts so dear to our hearts, like how you emphasized Po’s humility, his showing the scroll to everyone, and that everyone can be a hero, or the explanation of “It’s nothing!” and Tai’s feelings on getting the scroll. Spot-on as always, but it was even better seeing Shifu at least tacitly agreeing with how his son must have been feeling in that moment.

On the other hand I was stunned by two other things: that Lin actually told Shifu about Tai Lung, and Shifu’s reaction to the news. The former, it seems, is yet another way in which you succeeded in making me think too much like Shifu, assuming that she would keep the secret just because she is so private and likes keeping secrets to yank Shifu's chain, even though she clearly does love Shifu and we know she always loved Tai. As for the latter...the red panda's reaction is understandable and IC, but so terrible. I can see why he felt as he did, especially after how Tai almost killed him—taking Po and the Five along as a precaution would seem like the sensible thing to do. If Tai had been left in the village square, as he was in my fic, but not knocked out, that is surely what Shifu would have done then too. But Lin is right, everything may be different now that Tai knows the truth about the scroll, so he should give his son one more chance—and not antagonize him with Po or the Five.

As for wanting to protect Lin, it's sweet, but between that and his initial attitude about Tai being alive, I rather think Shifu deserves everything he's soon to go through on the trip to Shanghai. I am very interested, of course, in seeing what happens instead of giving a gift basket (LOL!) and what Lin's role in all this really will be. Her own busybody nature aside (and perhaps a bit of guilt, since some of the things she told Tai as a cub may have helped set him on his path?), her communing with Oogway does seem to suggest something more is going on here. It's surely not chance this is happening at the same time the British in India are moving on China and that wolf is on her way to the Valley. Just how all these intricate threads weave together to make a plot will be fascinating to read I am sure, as well as funny and, eventually, action-packed (at least for your kind of fic *winks*).

One last thing—how can Lin seriously still think the way she acts is “nice”? Maybe by her standards yes, but unless she's deliberately being annoying in insisting on that term, or is actually blind to how she's perceived (and I seem to recall her saying she knows how others view her), she must surely know she isn't nice by other people's standards.
SensiblyScrewy chapter 5 . 2/7/2011
Wait, wait! There's another reference. I wouldn't even have spotted it if I hadn't just gone on a Star Trek rampage. When Yan-Yan says, "I'm a doctor, not a judge!" I couldn't help but think of Dr. McCoy/Bones. Nor could I stop laughing. I have my doubts as to whether you meant it to be there, but that just makes it funnier. Seriously though, I love Yan-Yan. Tai Lung has met his match in Chen and her. And I am forcibly holding back any over-flowing humor left from this chapter. It had me holding my sides too many times to count. Thank you for the update! ;)_
Bowtie Lion chapter 5 . 2/7/2011
Woah, I totally cannot believe Lin pussed out that easily about keeping the information of the letter from Shifu. I am digging the Tai Lung and Yan-Yan conversations, I feel sorry for her and I can totally relate. War is literally on its way and somehow I can't stop to think that Rahim will fall for Tigress. After all, both of them are single. I can't wait to read what happens when Shifu and Lin make it to Shanghai, what will Chen do to the red panda? What will he do to keep him and Tai Lung from tearing each other apart? Damn, the tension is killing me!
AegisNeko chapter 5 . 2/7/2011
GRRRRRRRRRR...

Im SO MAD AT SHIFU!

Im loving the story keep going!
nievelion chapter 4 . 2/3/2011
Once again finally getting around to this...it is very annoying when one's own writing interferes with enjoying other people's.

Although the confrontation between Tigress and Lin was short (likely luckily so, for Lin's sake), it was well worth the wait. Once again, Tigress was perfectly in character. And while like Po I do like Lin because I know who she really is, how she feels, and why she acts the way she does (at least I think I do, she can still surprise me on occasion), I also think Lin needed to have that happen and hear those things. Because while Tigress is being a bit unfair, and does need to lighten up and be more polite, everything she said about Lin was absolutely true and she was right to say them. I can't expect Lin to ever change, let alone now when she's so old and set in her ways, but she does need to adapt and take different approaches if she expects to be accepted and to get alone with others-especially Tigress and Shifu.

I do understand though why Lin still keeps things from Shifu, aside from being a private person and loving to tease him. That whole bit about what she's doing at Bao Gu being to impress him (or at least that she wants him to be impressed by it) was very sweet. And while I understand why Shifu is so uptight about her sexual humor and crudity-not just his prudishness and formality but the fact he too is very private-I wish he would relax and loosen up because she is still a riot. The joke she played on him when Po caught them was mean, but fricking hilarious.

As usual, loving your take on the Shifu/Tigress relationship. Though by now the nature of it, why it's the way it is, and the things they say and think about it have been pretty much codified by most KFP authors (if for no other reason than that they make so much sense it's hard to view it any other way), you still have shown and expressed it in your own unique way. I do wonder what it will take for Tigress to admit to him what is really wrong and why she is trying so hard to learn the nerve strike (news of Tai's survival? Whatever the impending danger is? Her getting injured again, or him?), but I look forward to it when it happens. Side note: loved them both agreeing about Lin's, ah, unique traits, and how he used Po to find out where Tigress was.

I love Guotin. I really, really do, and even though he seems like a One Scene Wonder, I really hope he'll show up again (and not die). Even though he's a bandit, he seems like an honorable one (for one thing he doesn't seem to be in favor of killing most of his victims), but just as likable is his humor, and his constant flirting. He does seem like he might actually be quite attractive for his age (scar notwithstanding) but what makes him attractive and likable is his personality. His interactions with the female wolf were a gas. I also loved her inability to get the language right so she kept screwing up names, and her utterly naive innocence. Though I am still burning to know what she needs from Shifu (or Po?) in the Valley, whether this is connected to Rahim and India, or whatever the big threat will be, or if this is just one of a number of intersecting plot threads.

Loved the reference to the holiday special. Also loved the reappearance of your culinary knowledge, since we now get to see it from Po as well as Lin. LOVED the horrible mistake where Ping thought Po and Lin were an item, ROTFL! And it was just as funny how only Lin and her raunchiness could be the one to turn Po off of food. :P At the same time, it was really sweet seeing him be her friend, and really understanding her, including her love for Shifu. Too bad he can't explain it to Tigress, but even if he could put it in terms she'd understand, and even though Tigress has mellowed (somewhat) toward Po, I doubt she'd be persuaded by him about anything, let alone Lin.

So, Chen's letter got delivered after all, and of course we know why Lin is hiding it and the reason for her trip to Shanghai from Shifu. If he keeps pressing and trying to find out what's going on, this will end badly... Still, as long as she doesn't let him get his hands on the letter, I have every faith in her ability to keep a secret. :P So I will just wait eagerly for more of Tai's travails as a convalescent, everyone's reaction to Lin's beets, Shifu's doomed attempts (hopefully) to get that letter, and getting to see that hunky older tiger Rahim again-I mean, find out what is going on in India that is so compelling he has to travel to China to warn someone about it. Okay, actually I want both. ;) Because I really am very intrigued about what he knows and how that will affect the plot, not just how hot he is. :D
ShadowNuri chapter 4 . 1/13/2011
Funny chapter, and I can see the plot is really starting to roll. I don't have much to say except update soon! I hope Lin and Shifu get to travel together...though I doubt Shifu really wants to know what is being hidden from him. X3
SensiblyScrewy chapter 4 . 1/11/2011
Yus! Two days before finals, I find this beauty. Who said God doesn't love me? ;)_
Bowtie Lion chapter 4 . 1/11/2011
This was great chapter. Something tells me Shifu will try to steal the letter from Lin and she will try to keep it out of his reach. A funny image just entered my head. Who is the she wolf and who is she looking for? I suspect that despite what happened between them the two wolves are both going to end up banging each other, but that is just me assuming, thinking with my hormones, only time will tell. I loved the part when Po caught his master and Lin in the 'compromising' embrace, what he thought of it and Shifu trying to explain with Lin making it worse. Speaking of... maybe that's what Tigress needs so she can ease down a bit and not come off as a bitch. LinXPo... I just shrugged at the thought. To finish up here I want to say that cannot wait till the next time.

Also, don't hold back on the sex jokes, they're hillarious and they piss off Shifu.
48 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »