Reviews for From Scratch
Anasazi Darkmoon chapter 4 . 1/11/2011
To be perfectly honest, I thought the sexual humor was hilarious. I actually snorted aloud when Lin made Po think that she and Shifu were getting it on right then and there! She sure did turn into a horny old broad, didn't she? I do have a few questions, though. Who was that female wolf, and who is the "important person" she's looking for? And what was in that letter? Anyway, I'm looking forward to your next update, no matter how long it actually takes.
nievelion chapter 3 . 12/30/2010
Finally got around to this...been so busy with work, and writing, or trying to...

Anyway, as usual, each chapter just gets funnier and naughtier. I don't know which I laughed at harder: Shifu actually thinking his trip down into the village with Lin wouldn't be too bad, Yan-Yan being so evil as to make Tai Lung think she wasn't really giving him medicine but just tricking him to eat whatever she gave him, Lin joking about the elephant and the python, or Mantis's little slip about being fast. But really all of it was hilarious-when it wasn't profound, wise, thought-provoking, or character-driven and revealing.

I loved seeing Tai try to intimidate Yan-Yan and not getting anywhere (I can so see him trying to loom over her) and the thought of him taking suppositories is priceless. I am glad that Yan-Yan added in that she wasn't complaining about Tai's shirtlessness, otherwise I would have had to check her sanity, or perhaps her pulse. Though that does remind me of an interesting point...initially I thought Tai was shirtless all the time to show how hot and badass he was...but as the villain he wasn't supposed to be hot, though clearly the KFP makers failed on that one. Then I thought it was because he needed to have no shirt so the shell could be put on him...except he was without it before Chorh-Gom. In fact he even had no shirt as a cub! And Po is also shirtless. So I guess it must be because of their thick fur making shirts unnecessary?

Side note: please tell me Yan-Yan's name was deliberate when crossed with her being challenged in culinary pursuits...since you could easily say of her "Yan can't cook". *snickersnorts*

The scene with Tigress and Po may make people think you intend to hook them up, and this may even be the case, but what it tells me right now is that you definitely have a handle on Tigress, and I love how you are showing their relationship and how it changes so slowly. For that matter, you really have a handle on Po's diction and character, as shown by the kitchen and the peach tree especially. But then you seemed to have nailed him from the first moment he appeared in Blue Plate Special. You are definitely mastering his instinctive wisdom. And it is indeed quite clear why Tigress is trying to master the nerve strike. To which I can only say, I see why Shifu is concerned (wanting to master it because Tai did, or to earn his approval, is not the right reason at all for doing so), but Lin is also right to grab his ear the way she did. His heart may be in the right place, but the last thing Tigress needs is disapproval, commands, and being forbidden to do something.

Very curious as to whether Lin did in fact hear Oogway, the tree, or what. And if it is Oogway, how you'll handle him and what he will tell her-about Tai, about the looming threat, and whatever else she needs to hear. I also look forward to her growing relationship with Po. As for the upcoming Lin/Tigress match...all I can say is, I would not want to be in between them, or even in the same room with them, unless I was so quiet they didn't notice me. :P

Yay for the shout-out to Ning Guo-that was spot-on, exactly what he would have said! While Yan and Tai's interactions do feel a lot like Lin and Shifu, they put me in mind of Tai and Tigress as well. ;) Also, thanks for the continued references back to the movie, this time with Shifu's fight with Tai, and...those poor orphans! I don't know if what happened while Lin was there is a Noodle Incident or a Brick Joke waiting to happen, but man...

Can't wait to see more!
Bowtie Lion chapter 3 . 12/9/2010
This was a good chapter. Those poor orphans will never be able to heal the mental scars left by whatever Lin did or said at the orphanage. I think the sparks are starting to fly once again between Shifu and Lin. Do I prefer ingesting fowl tasting medicing or for it to be shoved up my rectum? My answer:neither, let it heal on it's own. My favorite parts were Lin's sex related anecdotes/jokes. This is so funny, cannot wait for the next chapter.
ShadowNuri chapter 3 . 12/8/2010
Ahhh, another great chapter. Drenched with sex jokes and topped with scenes of unbearable humor. I bow to such greatness that is your writing! Keep it coming Marie.

Oh, damn, and I keep forgetting to tell you this: It is called the Hall of Warriors, not the Hall of Heroes. I think your confused with the Sword of Heroes. Meh...I hate correcting people...makes me feel like a whore. Anyways, yes, great chapter- Hall of Warriors- Keep it coming- So on.

Lovin it.
lildino chapter 3 . 12/8/2010
OHHHHH i bet on LIN she'll win hands down
SensiblyScrewy chapter 3 . 12/7/2010
Initially, I think I'd bet on Lin, but... it all depends on if things escalate past verbal. But who knows, maybe Lin's got some fighting moves of her own she picked up in her travels... I think I noticed three (count 'em, THREE) intended relationships in this chapter. The first is obvious. The second is kinda obvious (Po and Tigress). The third... well, I may be seeing things. But Tai and Yan-Yan sure do bicker an awful lot like another couple I know of... We shall see. Great chapter. ;)_
Wonder Panda Tan-Tan chapter 3 . 12/7/2010
30 bucks says the apocalypse is gonna happen. Thats all I can say for Lin and Tigress.
nievelion chapter 2 . 12/5/2010
Wow! When you decide to do plot advancement, you don't mess around, do you?

The first section not only shows your excellent and fascinating research and knowledge (so you theorize that the movie took place during the 1800's, when the British were colonizing India? But hadn't they already approached China at that point and been shut out of the ports? Hmm, guess that would explain why they never heard of Tai Lung), it introduces a fascinating new viewpoint. I love Rahim! He seems so intelligent, level-headed, and sophisticated. I am not sure yet exactly what this has to do with the plot-though the British doing their colonizing, the saber-rattling which seems to be happening the eastern provinces, and the shutting out of the ports I just mentioned give me a few ideas, and I must say if that's what you're going for it's quite the original plot bunny-but I do hope we see more of Rahim. And on a side note...yes this is probably TMI but I wouldn't feel right without mentioning that he sounds exceptionally hot. Not only is a tiger, big, and a daddy type (older men are hot), but you introduced him to us in a scene where he was contemplating nudity. 'Nuff said. :P

As for the rest...once again you've proven how good you are at writing Po and the Five. You say writing Tigress is difficult but it doesn't look like it from here. And yes, I knew she wouldn't be getting along with Lin at all. Lin, though, is as usual a nice contradiction-that spiritual side of her you revealed, and her connection (or lack thereof) with Oogway and Tai respectively was quite stunning, but at the same time she's still her usual annoying, naughty, contrary self. Yet I also had to enjoy the bantering, and she still has those wise life lessons to teach which Shifu refuses to see. Shifu himself of course is as clueless as usual, as well as evil to Po. Though he has a point about Lin showing up out of nowhere and inviting herself, he did give her that standing invitation to live there...

The part in the kitchen was comedy gold-you have Mantis so down pat, though really everyone there was totally in-character. And OMG, how Lin used her puppy-dog stare on Shifu, and how he then used the Grand Mastership she reminded him of to pull a fast one during the voting, was priceless. (Nice to bring that up, BTW...as well as Shifu having lost both son and father, and the broken staff-and for that matter, Po's pants. It's the little details that stand out.)

So I wonder what Chen's plan will be for Tai. (Yes, I can SO see him as John Mahoney!) I also love Yan-Yan, she's a hoot! And who is that mysterious wolf seeking out Shifu? Unfortunately we get so few clues thanks to Wei-Shan's flakiness. I look forward to finding out more about this and everything else, and especially the continued interactions of Lin, Po, and the Five. Will be fun seeing them have to band together to face a new threat, and how that story crosses with Tai's possible redemption and whatever will happen with Lin!
ShadowNuri chapter 2 . 11/12/2010
Continuing to LOVE this story. I also really appreciate the "handsome mug" in Lin's sketch dump. XDDD

Anyways, keep on truckin with the story. Hope to see more and more of the Shifu/Lin couple. Halarious.

(Used to be AnimationlovBWMS :B) Anyways, yeah...GREAT chapter.
SensiblyScrewy chapter 2 . 11/11/2010
TWO. Th-there's TWO of them now! Two chapters! *falls over* ;)_
Wonder Panda Tan-Tan chapter 2 . 11/11/2010
It's good to see a sequel to the original story, it's funnier than the first.
Anasazi Darkmoon chapter 2 . 11/10/2010
Man, I can't believe I missed the announcement for the first chapter of this! Oh well, at least I caught this one. I'm really happy to see that you've finally started on a sequel. I loved the first one so much, and I'm really enjoying this one so far...especially Lin's tendency to ride the Drama Llama wherever she goes! -cackles- Anyway, keep up the awesome work. I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this.
Bowtie Lion chapter 1 . 11/1/2010
Hi there, let me start by saying that I cannot wait for the next chapter/vignette. Lin is officially one of my favorite unofficial characters from Kung Fu Panda, I love her. I know i'm going to like this story, so keep up the good work.
nievelion chapter 1 . 10/24/2010
Finally got around to reviewing this-things have been rather busy over here too.

I was so excited, and surprised, when I saw this in my in-box, since based on what you said before, while I thought there could be a sequel in the works it didn't seem likely. Glad to be proven wrong!

So much to love here, as usual. Chen is hilarious, I loved the way he kept darting around Tai and poking him unseen because of his height, not to mention daring to tell Tai no. Lin is her usual annoying, cantankerous, and hilarious self. Shifu is suffering, as we all love to see, though at least some of this isn't brought on himself this time. But what I really loved is the other POVs you've shown, and where this story is going. I said before but it bears repeating, your Tai Lung seems very much like a combination of mine and Luna's-which makes sense, since I at least partly based my conception of Tai on hers, and hers is pretty much the standard as far as I'm concerned. Others seem to think so as well. But I am so glad to see you bringing him back and, hopefully, giving him some redemption. Will be interesting to see how you do it similarly to/different from everyone else.

I love Yan-Yan, she's awesome-especially when she told Tai he had no right to an opinion because of having gone bat-sh!t. That's telling him! And I have to laugh at her having gotten to see Tai naked (and his reaction) as much as Po having learned about Tai's teenage erotic fiction collection (I guess even without Lin around he eventually learned about sex after all? Wonder who from...surely not Shifu...). But why did he roar when he learned about Lin being in the Valley? Something to ponder...

Your approach to Tigress and her relationship with Shifu is as welcome and accurate as your understanding of both Po and Viper-I was tickled to see you getting into their heads! And wow, Lin really IS off-putting if even Viper has trouble liking her... I expect there will be hell to pay when the Five find out Lin basically invited herself to stay and Shifu really couldn't stop her. Wonder what her job is-painting something from Tai and Po's fight, perhaps? And hah, again with the troping! Of course Lin is Genre Savvy enough to know you can't assume death if you Never Found the Body. And of course Po, meanwhile, would think of the finger hold that "No One Could Survive That"!

Anyway, so glad to see you dealing with snarky, growly Tai (him being found and nursed back to health by Chen of all people was brilliant!). And between that, seeing more of the Five and Po, the fact that Lin and Shifu need to learn to love each other all over again (and from his side at least it may be rather difficult), and your note in the fic description about war looming over China, and it seems you definitely have a lot of awesome plot coming, and I cannot wait! :)

Last note: this does indeed encourage me to reference Lin more in my vignettes, expect to see her soon. ;)
Shektor chapter 1 . 10/7/2010
A sequel. Yay:) This is going to be awesumness, I can tell. I also think you should do that prequel on Quan, or Chen, I'm confused with those two.

Keep Writing.