Reviews for Rule Number One
Queen Lua chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
So fun fact: last spring break I hurriedly printed out a bunch of fic before scampering off to the jungle (literally), and this (as well as "Like a Metaphor" and "Path of Repentance") is among those I brought with me to read. Hope you don't mind me belatedly reviewing what was already a set of older pieces…

I am an absolute sucker for backstory pieces, and I'm an absolute sucker for backstory pieces featuring minor characters I like—so in a way I was predestined to like this.

Bu in all seriousness, I really love this look at Marcia. In-game she's mostly played as a gag character, and she *is* really funny (you do a good job at keeping her, ah, unique vocabulary in this fic)—but I always thought there was something pretty badass about a girl who ditches the army and flies over half a continent just to bail out her loser brother, and I wanted to know more about her.

The way you portray the Holy Guard, the training, and the dynamics thereof was pretty engrossing, giving us so much lovely detail about its mechanics without dragging down the story's pace one bit. I was quite fond of Octavia—as a background-character-OC-thing, she comes across really well (esp. during what was the standout scene in my mind—when Marcia walks bloodstained back home and Octavia's helping to wash her off—I really felt something like the same stunned aftershock Marcia did, in that scene).

Thanks for sharing.
R Amythest chapter 1 . 12/3/2010
I left the proper review at your ficjournal's post. I needed to bump your review count because that "1" is blasphemy.
Mark of the Asphodel chapter 1 . 10/13/2010
I've read this several times and it's really hard for me to assess this, because Tellius is still very much a foreign land to me and I've only played enough of FE9 to encounter Marcia the first time. So I can't speak to the accuracy of characterization or anything else, but the small details of this story stand out very vividly for me. I loved the passage about all the wrong things Marcia could remember in her training ("like how to poison an entire garrison") and the realism of that sequence. The scene where Octavia cleans Marcia up was also quite powerful. I think I liked Marcia as a character- her feelings over her mother came through especially well, IMO. I enjoyed all the little cracks you showed beneath the glossy facade of Begnion.

The parts with Sanaki and Sephiran felt a little odd to me... I think it's because I know they're your preferred characters from this gameverse, and so I was analyzing the scenes with them in a slightly different light than I was the main body of the 'fic. The S&S scenes didn't break the fourth wall, exactly, but I felt a... tension... between those scenes and the rest of the story. And maybe that was intentional.

Anyway. Definitely a memorable story.