Reviews for Alien
newaunty chapter 1 . 4/2
This is extremely good, it's a lovely story and I like it, but it's also very instructive.
Your point about the mixed messages of how we treat people is just as applicable to our lives today as it will be in the future.
We get those messages from our parents, our schools and from the world stage. Treat other kids the same, but boys don't hit girls. Boys and girls (and men and women) should be able to compete equally, but they need to have separate sporting teams. And if you're the guy who tackles the only girl on the opposing football side, you're not going to be allowed to feel good about that.
We mustn't discriminate between people based on race, religion or disability, but the Muslim and Jewish kids get to go to religious instruction, while you have to do revision in the library. The kids with Autism get a behavioural therapist while you can't keep up in maths class. People with disabilities should be able to compete equally on the sporting field, but we need to hold a separate Olympic competition for them. (Good on Oscar Pistorius for challenging this, even if he's since proved himself to be a not very nice person, to say the least!)
I am a midwife, and if my patients don't speak very good English, they get an hour of my undivided time and attention EVERY DAY with an interpreter - none of my other postnates get this much of time, let alone in one block. I don't resent this, but I know some of my other patients do.
Thank you for bringing this point into the spotlight, and for writing a really enjoyable story at the same time!
ptoy chapter 1 . 5/21/2013
Made an account just to comment on this. Those quotes make me wonder if you aren't actually a time-traveller from the future. Great job!
Tsarsilver chapter 1 . 5/19/2013
I love this story! Everything from the progression of xenophobia to the quotes which seemed to be made by real people with degrees on this sort of stuff!
The Renegade chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
This whole story was great, but I especially loved that last section, which I liked so much that I'm putting in my list of quotes to keep, which rarely happens.
Doni chapter 1 . 6/4/2011
Really nice progression there. Well done.
SparklyLalala chapter 1 . 5/6/2011
This hands down is one of the best fic's that I have read in regard to "their time". Love how it can be applied even today, and how you started off with Jim not really understanding but learning and developing through time.

Great...no amazing and brilliant work :).

Now, tell me where did you get the quotes? :)
Layla-V chapter 1 . 12/18/2010
Beautiful. Well thought out and just plain gorgeous!
Old Fiat chapter 1 . 10/30/2010
This is a great story idea! I love the layout of it, with the fake quotes and how they would sort of work as the subject of each segment. It was really excellent. The whole story has great pacing. None of the jumps in time are too long or confusing. It was very well laid out and it felt... real, which is excellent. You really managed to create a very well-written story, almost like a miniature bildungsroman. Great work. I really enjoyed reading this.
WickedWitchoftheSE chapter 1 . 10/14/2010
aw, so precious! yay Jim!
Netrixie chapter 1 . 10/13/2010
Um.

I don't think I have the words to describe what I feel about this.

So. Yeah. I'm pretty sure if you're thinking I hate it, you're on the wrong side of the dictionary. But... love, like, and SQUEE are the wrong words. This shit made me think. And it's a rare fanfic that will do that. And I liked what I thought about it. And your talent is wasted in fanfictions. Please go out and write your own novels.

I'll buy anthing you write.
bowlfullofcherries chapter 1 . 10/13/2010
This was amazing. Very enjoyable. Thanks for the read.
Crysania Fay chapter 1 . 10/12/2010
Wow! That was really good. I like all the inserts through out it.
unknown20troper chapter 1 . 10/12/2010
Awesome!

All the characters are in character. This is really insightful, with all the quotes and all. It shows how and why xenophobia exists, why it shouldn't and how it's overcome. The quote at the end is beautiful, and shows me an advantage of diversity that I've never really considered before.
bookdragon01 chapter 1 . 10/12/2010
Excellent story. Very well done.
CuriousDreamWeaver chapter 1 . 10/12/2010
Wonderful! It was a really interesting study on xenophobia and Jim's progression out of it. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Well done.

_