Reviews for Blacking Out the Friction
Guest chapter 4 . 12/15/2013
I cried reading this chapter when kurt explained about Ella and his mon
Five Elements chapter 2 . 10/22/2013
Ella should be Lucy.
Lucy is awesome.
mailroomorder chapter 4 . 9/22/2013
I think the story ended a bit abruptly, and Kurt's ending characterization seemed like a bit of a facade. I wish it were expanded upon more. But I don't think that Ella is as bad of a character as you think she is! Just a bit underdeveloped. I enjoyed this story regardless. It was pleasant.
mailroomorder chapter 3 . 9/22/2013
I really like Ella. I think she is a bit mysterious, which is fine. She's not mysterious in a Mary Sue way, just in a 'we only see her when she's there' way-which is good. I do hope we get to learn a bit more about her. And I'm anxious to see how things turn out with Kurt.
mailroomorder chapter 2 . 9/22/2013
Really interesting chapter. I like how forward Ella is with Kurt about how she doesn't feel welcome by Kurt.
mailroomorder chapter 1 . 9/22/2013
SO far so good! Can't wait to read more.
Guest chapter 1 . 9/16/2013
YOUR HUSBAND WENT TO SCHOOL WITH KESHA?! That's awesome! Like insanely awesome! I like your story but I don't think it's one of your best. More klaine please! Your awesome and your an amazing writer.
Guest chapter 4 . 3/23/2013
lol... ella is amusing... catty bitch fight over kurt
Guest chapter 4 . 10/25/2012
i think this is a really good story and i would kinda want to read more...
trufflemores chapter 4 . 10/17/2012
Brotherly Furt is the best. Well. Except for Klaine, but you already knew that. I loved Finn's conversation with Kurt, and how he urges him to tell Ella even though Kurt's still on the fence about it. It seems amazing that after the events in the last chapter he could even consider ignoring what happened, but at the same time, it makes sense. He's so desperate to keep that one part of his childhood untainted that he's willing to go to extremes to keep it that way. I'm glad that Finn was able to talk him out of his shell somewhat, even if he was only partially successful. Kurt never actually told Ella that he was gay, after all, so we'll never really know if she did or didn't know. It was actually a very succinct ending for this, and I enjoyed it.

This entire chapter was the perfect closure for this, because it brought together all the finer elements of the story into one coherent whole. There was closure for all the characters involved, and overall, I can't foresee a better ending for this story, and I'm pleased that you choose to conclude it. I enjoyed it, and I can definitely see how Ella was a prototype for Lucy. She has similar mannerisms, but Lucy's definitely more fine-tuned and developed. If I had to choose a favorite between them, Lucy would win easily, simply because I adore how you've worked her into your other stories, whereas Ella is more of a shade from Kurt's past.

I'm glad that he's at peace with himself, even if it's not perfect, in the end. I'm sure that someday he'll sit Ella down and tell her the whole, long truth of it and maybe they'll still be friends and maybe they'll part ways and maybe she'll move away again and they'll never see each other again, but either way, in this moment, he seems happier than he's been. He's better rested and better equipped to deal with the future, especially after Finn's conversation. It's an alternate universe in its own way, and I find it a fascinating read.

I enjoyed this. Thank you for finishing it; the conclusion was just right.
trufflemores chapter 3 . 10/17/2012
Poor Kurt. A falling out was inevitable, since he couldn't simply ignore Ella forever and the starry-eyed looks that she was giving him couldn't be tamped down subtly, either, but it's still heart-wrenching to read his reaction. He's so distressed and upset and frustrated because despite his best efforts, keeping a firm foothold on his past has still slipped out from underneath him. Ella did the unexpected and he wasn't prepared for it, and it completely shatters any hope that he can simply ignore that anything has changed over the past eight years and moved on. He couldn't do it to begin with, not indefinitely, but he was trying and now he doesn't even have that shield. He's just been stripped raw and Ella still doesn't even know the full truth, and that's heartbreaking, too.

Poor bb.

I really enjoyed reading this whole chapter. The way it progressed from a tentative friendship to a borderline romance flowed nicely, and it made sense that Ella would jump to the wrong conclusion in that moment. There was definitely some emotion just waiting under the surface to be brought out into the open, except it wasn't mutual love: it was Kurt's revelation that he was gay. In that moment, it seemed, he almost gave into temptation and told her that he was gay, but instead she kissed him and everything sort of spiraled downward from there. So close, and yet so far from being perfect. He was too edgy to hold everything back forever, but he would certainly try until he snapped, and unfortunately for him, he didn't even need to snap for it to happen. Ella broke the spell, and now they can't return, and that's a tough revelation for him to swallow.

On a more lighthearted note, I loved the Finn and Puck bantering at the beginning. Their friendship is refreshing, because there aren't any complicated nuances underlying it. They're just two guys that enjoy playing video games together and helping each other movie furniture and doing generally testosterone-inducing things together. Puck was spot-on, and I love how he bowed out as soon as they got to sorting clothes. He's a good guy, and his presence was nice after all the heaviness that Kurt is undergoing.

But I suppose things only got worse for Kurt, despite his best efforts, and I'm very curious to see how it all pans out in the end. Nicely done!
trufflemores chapter 2 . 10/17/2012
Mary Elizabeth Sloane! I remember her. And how you worked her into "Lima Loser." :) Clever, bringing her daughter back into this.

This is such an interesting story. It's fascinating to read about Kurt with his hackles raised around a childhood friend because he doesn't want to 'ruin' his friendship with her. He doesn't know how she'll react to the news that he's gay and so he's bottling it up, which isn't helping either of them, since it's giving her the impression that he doesn't care about her at all anymore and it's leaving him miserable as he attempts to keep everyone under control. Namely Finn, who would naturally tell Rachel about Ella and then bring her into a potentially disastrous conversation about it.

I just love the way that you've written her into this. She's sweet and well-meaning, but she's not the same and neither is Kurt, and so they're both a little more hesitant around each other. She is definitely a piece from his past, and that would bring back all the Mollie feelings for him. He's been able to distance himself from almost everything relating to his mother except for this living, tangible reminder of that past and its existence. It has to be heartbreaking for him, knowing that Ella still exists when his mother is long deceased. There's that culture shock of meeting a friend that he last knew as a young child again as a teenager. Their interests have changed and developed (as Ella succinctly pointed out, they aren't interested in Barbies and playing Wizard of Oz characters in the backyard anymore). They're not the same children that they once were, but at the same time, there's still a bond between them.

Ella wants to rekindle it. Kurt wants to stay as far away from it as possible, because he's terrified of tainting that part of his past. Everything else is set in stone for him, unchangeable, and yet Ella has returned and now he doesn't know how to react. It's fascinating to read his struggles, because even though he's trying to be polite and not offend anyone, he's still under enough stress that he's letting some of it show.

It's interesting to watch unravel and I'm excited to read more.

I also thought that the gray kitten was adorable, and now I want Kurt to have a cat. So he can love and snuggle it.
trufflemores chapter 1 . 10/17/2012
Kurt is such an interesting character to read about because he's so dynamic. He changes from season to season with noticeable differences, and that's what makes it so fascinating to read about him. He's incredibly complex, and capturing all the faucets of his personality is a considerable feat, since he's undergone so many experiences and expressed so many emotions canonically. And yet you always manage to keep him in character and develop him even further flawlessly, and I love it even more. This stage in his life is really interesting to read about - the earliest segments of Season 2, that is - when he's just transitioning away from baby-faced sophomore to wary junior. He closes off a lot more in this year, and a lot of things come to light about his character that weren't really evident before (except in his snarky jibes against the jocks).

I love how you've shown him reaching out to the Hudsons post-Theatricality basement incident. At some point in time, Burt and Kurt did peaceably reunite with Carole and Finn, because we know that they all move back in together and eventually Burt and Carole marry. And yet Glee leave it to its viewers' imagination as to what transpired between that incident and the reunion, since Burt clearly stated in the basement that he wouldn't allow Finn and Carole to stay if Finn treated Kurt that way. Somewhere along the line, Burt and Kurt accepted Carole and Finn back into their lives, and I love that it's Kurt that initiated it. Kurt had to be the one to initiate it, in a way, because Burt wouldn't have gone against his word like that, even if it meant sacrificing his own happiness. He'd keep his word because it would mean protecting Kurt against the type of people that torment him every day at school (which Burt, unfortunately, doesn't learn about until much later in the season). Kurt actively deciding to reach out to Carole and Finn makes the most sense, and I love that you showed that here.

It's just incredibly interesting to read and I'm amazed at how, even this early into your works, you've captured all of it so well.

I'm excited to read more! Onward it is.
The Peppermint Field chapter 4 . 6/22/2012
I really enjoyed this piece and found it an interesting take on Kurt's character. Your writing is really great :)
Ravenpan chapter 4 . 4/15/2012
Aw maaaaan I wanted to see how he eventually told! :) I, for one, really enjoyed this story, so there :)