Reviews for The Dragon's Ring
YRPOtaku169 chapter 1 . 3/31
This is easily one of the best Yu-Gi-Oh! fanfictions I have ever read. I came for the ScoopShipping, and found something even better. Just the simple act of sending Carly to Satellite, as The Nail in this AU story, a few months before the events of 5D's take place, and so many things change as a result. Timetables get moved up on both sides. Characters interact with each other in all manner of different ways. And several twists occur that not even hardcore fans of 5D's like myself could've seen coming. Surprisingly, there wasn't much dueling for a fanfic revolving around a children's trading card game, and Yusei, the original protagonist, only dueled near the end of the story, while the first actual duel took place at the halfway mark, and yet the dueling seems like more of a relic of the original format of the franchise. If this wasn't Yu-Gi-Oh!, the dueling could have easily been removed. The characters are all portrayed splendidly, and I felt like I was watching an alternate version of the anime as I read it. I even read the scenes with Ushio, especially the pizza one, with Dan Green's voice in my head, which made it even funnier. And the added characterization of such players as Demak and Yuji were wonderful, and felt like natural, well-thought-out interpretations and expansions of the characters. Overall, an excellent piece of work, and you now have my loyalty as a reader.
SerenePanic chapter 35 . 1/3
This is the best 5D's story I've ever seen... and I've seen quite a few good ones. Wow! Great job, and I totally loved everything about it! It was well written, and the action was perfectly timed! And above all, the plot made sense. Thank you. Thank you thank you thank you.
Guest chapter 23 . 7/31/2013
SAIGA KILLED HIMSELF...THE FU**
scoopshipcrazy chapter 21 . 7/31/2013
it be cool if carly still became a dark signer. cause that arch was pure gold, the only part of it in the anime that really pisses me off is he confesses, almost kills himself cause he loves her and SHE DOESNT REMEMBER ANY OF IT! FUCK!
Scoopshipcrazy chapter 18 . 7/31/2013
absoloutely one of my top three favorite chapters. awsomness doesnt describe it, he kissed her! go jac, go jack...JACK AND CARLY FOREVER!
neko tenchi chapter 2 . 7/31/2013
I was a little unsure at first, but Jack is in charater. I think Carly is too quiet, she;s much more excentric in the anime. But i absoloutly love how your naming your chapters percy jackson style. You look at the title and think what the fuck? then you reat the chapter and it makes sence. like, i take a zebra to vegas. i was like, ?, then it made sence. :)
reminiscent-afterthought chapter 35 . 7/28/2013
Wow, that's got to be the longest fic I've read from you, but it was definitely worth it. I really loved how things developed differently from canon, and particularly how the more minor characters like Carly and Saiga got larger roles (I'm guessing Yuji is Aero in the english dub), and how every one of the Dark Signers, and even Divine, came out having a good side to them - although Divine rather less. I only felt sorry for him because he didn't seem to /understand/ - but to be able to build that sympathy for every one of your characters is really amazing.

Duelling wise, these are a few notes I jotted down during some of the duels:

In Aki’s duel against her father in Ch 25, Aki draws Black Rose Dragon. Since Black Rose Dragon is a synchro monster, it shouldn’t be in her main deck so she couldn’t draw it during her draw phase. Synchro and fusion monsters go in the extra deck. Also, you use the effect of Fragrance Storm on the Unhappy Maiden, who’s a spellcaster type monster and not a plant. And didn’t Aki already draw Rose Bird thanks to Violet Witch? The second one wound up being useless. Also, in Ch 28, “abandon” is a poor choice of words when we’re talking a duellist like Crow or Yusei (or any of the Signers really) who have very close bonds with their cards. Crow’s in particular are famous for their bonds with each other. Also in Ch 29, again Aki though this time against Divine, Gigaplant only requires one sacrifice but you had her tribute two tokens. Later in that same duel, Divine labels Premature Burial as a trap, when in fact it’s a magic/spell card. And if I understand correctly, Aki played the World Tree as a chain link 3, linking to Half-Counter (2) and Divine’s attack (1). World Tree is a normal spell though, so the trap and attack will resolve before that and Aki won’t gain a flower counter. She would have had to play it in the main phase of her previous turn. You might also want to explain how Carly can use a normal spell in a riding duel; I think the original Speed Spell allows for it (or maybe it was only Speed World 2 – one of them anyway), but there was some associated damage and I don’t know if she had the life points to spare for that. It’s also not as well known a fact, as I don’t recall it happening in the anime. Overall, I also found the duels a little difficult to follow life point wise, since you don't mention how much life points are lost where, or even that they are lost in some cases (the most notable instance of that would be the duel between Misty and Rua, because I found myself wondering how Rua was able to use Megamorph later on since he hadn't attacked to take life points, but then backtracked and realised Misty attacked and took damage on the rebound). That would be a lot easier to follow if you work in numbers in some places; readers would have to be familiar with every single monster you mentioned - in the japanese translation names no less, when games and real life decks use the english names and not all those cards appear in the anime) and be able to keep track of the numbers. I don't think it'd be too difficult to work the numbers in.

You also had a few spelling errors - which came as a surprise since this is the first time I"m seeing spelling errors from you. I would only worry about that if you're planning a revamp though; I only remember that one of those was a A instead of an I in one of the Aki duelling chapters. Speaking of Aki, I felt you didn't play on her desire to cause pain enough; I thought you had actually removed that part of her past, until Chapter 33 where it showed up unexpectedly; she came out a little too oblivious to the pain she could cause herself in a sense, so I felt that to be a weakness to the way you presented her character.

And I might have missed this one, but what in the world happened with Yliaster? Did they just vanish to appear in an non-existent (or perhaps later existing) sequel?
andrewjeeves chapter 35 . 7/19/2013
Loved your fic, it was great from beginning to end, I know you're not going to be writing a sequel to this. But if you did would you have detailed the fight against Yilaster, the Machine Emperors, Aporia, Z-ONE, Antimony and the WRGP or would you have gone towards a different storyline completely?
Kita-Kawashi chapter 4 . 6/12/2013
This is a good story!
Bakurafangurl91 chapter 35 . 4/13/2013
This story was amazing. I love how everyone met and how Jack and Carly escaped Satellite, Kiryu and Crow escaped prison. This story had me on the edge of my seat. It was really intense. The duels were incredible! You write them so well. Those cards that you made up are really cool and they should be real. I love how Aki dueled Divine and Rua dueled Misty it was a nice twist to things. I love how Dr. Fudo talked to Goodwin and never gave up on him. I love that you put Yusei's mother in here too. The trap that Rudger set for them was amazing! I didn't see that coming at all. Ushio and Mikage's relationship was amazing. I love how Carly woke up and thought she was in a dream and everyone had to conquer something about themselves. I love how the King of the Netherworld couldn't trick Yusei and with the Crimson Dragon he was destroyed. I love the trial that everyone had. I'm glad that Divine is going to be locked away. I love the part with Misty and the children, I think she needed something like that to help her cope with the loss of her brother. Like I said this story is amazing and I'm glad that I decided to read it.
Strata's Stargazer chapter 35 . 2/8/2013
This story is amazing! I laughed - Crow is such a snarker - I got choked up, and I just thoroughly enjoyed the story from beginning to end. Now I'll have to finish watching the anime for sure :D
azure blue espeon chapter 35 . 12/17/2012
Love this story! It was great! I've read some of your other work and it was awesome too. Your an awesome writer!
pili chapter 35 . 12/12/2012
Fairy-tales do come true in Neo-Domino city! It was a beautiful ending, even a bit better than the end of season 2! Thanks for all the emotions and the feelings while reading!
byakuren-chan chapter 35 . 8/5/2012
love this story i wish it was more
HappyFestus chapter 35 . 2/21/2012
Aww! That was one of the best fanfictions I've ever read!

XD. 'nuff said.