Reviews for Parallel Realities
dinoking chapter 50 . 6/10
I love this story! It is awesome!
bobebob chapter 50 . 1/28
Reading through the reviews i saw you got a lot of hate for this story, what with the overpowered character getting his way all the time.
However this is not one of those reviews as i am actually fed up of every story i seem to read here having their main characters be edgy and full of flaws and tragedy with no happy endings in sight and only 'noble' bullshit sacrifices.
I for one thoroughly enjoyed this steamrolling Shepard, its nice to actually read a well written stomp-story instead of a non-stomp story where every character has numerous and pointless flaws.
Omegas Prime chapter 50 . 11/10/2015
LOVE THIS STORY!
Thanks for the awesome adventure! I hope I can write a story as good as this one.
TheVict0rian chapter 50 . 10/6/2015
I don't normally leave reviews for stories I dislike, even less when linked to a story from TVTropes, but after finishing this..."unique"...take on the Mass Effect universe, I felt I had to say something.

I will admit that the premise is interesting, if rather bizarre: Shepard isn't human, but an humanoid alien from a parallel universe. Unfortunately, the instant one reads the description for the Articians, who are shown to be exactly like humans except superior in every way, it becomes painfully obvious that the whole parallel universe gimmick is simply an excuse to turn Shepard into a Gary Stu of galactic proportions.

Considering that Shepard skirts the boundary of being a Stu in the games themselves, this is a problem.

The qualities that establish a character as a Sue/Stu are varied and numerous, but by far the most common is when everything within a story - characters, events, people - starts to revolve around the protagonist, even when it conflicts with the canon. This is true of Parallel Realities to an almost absurd degree. The often-complex morality of the games is discarded in favour of "Shepard is always right, anyone who disagrees with Shepard is wrong." The Citadel Council opposed Shepard in the games, so they must be incompetent and corrupt. He assaults fellow Alliance personnel (and even murders one for making a threat against Tali he was in no position to carry out) and yet suffers no consequences for his action. And so it goes on.

And I must point out that the character of Tali'Zorah is completely mangled and mutilated into something completely unrecognisable. I never much cared for her character in the game, but seeing her portrayed so poorly irked me greatly. First of all, why is she living in a shelter? Tali is an admiral's daughter; she is hardly a nobody or someone of low social standing. She acts nothing like her in-game counterpart, either, being far more emotional and submissive than she has any right to be. Canonically, the only time she ever shed tears was when her she learned of her father's death; a completely understandable reaction. Yet in this story she's bursting into tears seemingly every other chapter.

Tali is, of course, an alien, and the Mass Effect clearly establishes that only asari can breed with other species. But, sadly (and quite predictably), Parallel Realities throws all that in the rubbish so Shepard and Tali can have children and live happily ever after.

Excuse me while I vomit.

And speaking of endings, this story is much like Mass Effect 3, this story falls apart completely at the end. Shepard's home galaxy ousts the Council and establishes themselves as the new government for the Milky Way. Excuse me, but have you ever read the news, good sir? This is nothing less than a military occupation, and history has shown that any occupation, no matter how noble the intention of the occupiers, will breed resentment and revolt amongst the populace. Just ask the people of Iraq. The people of the galaxy aren't going to stand for a foreign power suddenly usurping power, no matter their level of Gary Stu-ness.

"Parallel Realities" is utterly, irredeemably terrible. There are some truly great fan-made Mass Effect stories out there ("Interregnum" for example), but this is most certainly not one of them.
Guest chapter 50 . 8/16/2015
You basically raped the ME franchise with this. There was no tense whatsoever, your fucking Gary Stu had to have pretty much everything go his way. I mean seriously? Leading an army at five years old, never losing a fight and your constant bashing of all most everyone, like the council( your Shepard is the real idiot for putting the entire galaxy at risk because you think they're a bunch of idiots) or Cerberus (Cerberus is not that evil to experiment on kids, except in ME3 since they were indoctrinated so that doesn't count. You killed off Edi like it was nothing, gave Garrus an army and one of the most annoying Mary Sues I've ever seen instead of him holding an army by himself with only a sniper rifle. Most of this fic is ripped straight from the game, probably because you can't write worth shit. This is one of the most stupidest thing I've ever read. I would rant longer but I think I've made my point. I give this fic a rating of MINUS five on a scale of one to five. In short, I hate this fic with all my being.
SaintMichael95 chapter 50 . 4/21/2015
Awwww. Cute ending! I just want to say that this was a really great story. Granted there were some things I would've made different but that's just due to difference of opinion. I can honestly say that this is one of the best if not THE best Mass Effect story I have read. Oh by the way, you continually misspelled the word "species". You would instead write "specie" which means 'money in the form of coins rather than notes' not a race a people. So yeah that was a very annoying problem and should really be fixed.
SaintMichael95 chapter 46 . 4/20/2015
Noooo! Why did you kill Kasumi?! You dick... *sniff*
Guest chapter 50 . 4/11/2015
Awwwwww
So cute
wilji1090 chapter 1 . 2/4/2015
Regrettably, I just... could not finish this story. The poor bastardization of the Council was one of my biggest grievances I have had with this story. The Council makes a lot of boneheaded decisions this is true, yet never once does your Shepard present an option that might sound appealing to the Council ("Oh, well maybe the ship Saren used could have been a Terminus super weapon." or something to that effect) that might give them a story to sell to the public. Yeah, it might create a pseudo-Cold War with the Terminus Systems, but those are the best types of war as it allows for the powers involved to advance technology without the cost of war.

Shepard himself becomes unlikable right from the start in my opinion because of his special powers (Alpha Energy), his "tragic" backstory and insane black and white view of the world. Like some have said, the whole point of the Mass Effect games is that the choices you make have dire consequences, like... Zaeed's loyalty mission: You risk him not being loyal if you save the factory workers over chasing Vido. Kasmui's loyalty mission (which you skipped over) was supposed to be about either letting go of the past or being prepared to face the troubles that would arise from keeping such volatile information. Yet, this Shepard seems to have his cake and eat it too. Not to mention the hair trigger temper he has whenever someone mentions his working with Cerberus which prompts a regurgitation of his backstory every time it happens.

Tali, who I really don't have much of a care about, is entirely unrecognizable in this story. I don't recall Tali being overly emotional or even incompetent in any way with regards to actual story purposes, nor do I recall her getting captured so easily. The way that this Tali is portrayed would have Tumblr Feminists in an uproar over blatant sexism, especially for simply apologizing for being captured by a Cerberus goon. And why did Tali seem to freak out over Liara's fascination with the fact Shepard touched a Prothean beacon? Liara's one of my favorite characters and honestly, I would have just had Tali rationalize it as the beacon itself being what fascinated her not the man himself.

Story-wise, the whole thing is essentially a regurgitation of the plotlines to Mass Effect 1 and 2 with a few attempts at deviation such as Nihlus being alive, yet these small changes seem to not have the attention of the butterflies of alternate history and history seems to rubberband back into place up until the Mass Effect 3 storyline. Largely, I'm assuming this was written before Mass Effect 3 came out so I'm willing to overlook the problems that come up, until the ending. The Galactic Order, the galactic so afraid of the Council subjugating them, takes over the whole system of governance of the Milky Way and they take it sickeningly well. I have a problem with this because when it comes to that kind of action there is bound to be blowback. Why? People don't like it when you interfere in how their government works. Case in point? Iran in 1979 underwent a violent revolution because Ayatollah Khomeini took advantage of the people's frustration with the Shah of Iran who was seeming more and more a puppet of the United States.

A more sensible solution would've been for the sitting Council to have been impeached (I'd assume that the Council can still be subject to impeachment) and a new Council created to be more inclusive of the other members species. Especially since, if I recall, the Terminus Systems largely were people frustrated by the strict rules of the Council and disproportionate representation of the Asari Republics, Salarian Union, Turian Hierarchy, and then the Systems Alliance.

I feel that there was a lot of potential in the story because the concept was interesting enough, but it just fell waaaaay too short of my expectations. Too much black and white morality and not enough grey and gray morality. Especially since Cerberus here is presented more as an organization that Doctor Claw would be proud of and not a well intentioned extremist organization that Jack Harper presented as a counter to the Asari Justicars or the Salarian STG or even the Council Spectres.
Skepsis Forever chapter 50 . 12/7/2014
I loved it. Also, I saw coming what happened with Shepard at the last temple, it was pretty obvious, but still better than the alternative. I didn't see TIM being there, so that at least was a surprise. Best read in a long time, and I'm glad it has closure. Many stories leave hanging the fate of the protagonists, and you were very thorough in avoiding that, and for that also, you have my congratulations.
Guest chapter 50 . 9/10/2014
Nicw
Unknown chapter 50 . 7/19/2014
I really liked this fic but at some parts I had a better idea in my head.
Wanderer101 chapter 50 . 6/21/2014
I just spent 3 days reading this from start to finish...

...

Mind Officially Blown
GostWolfOne chapter 1 . 6/6/2014
I cannot find the words that can describe how much I hate this fic. Numerous times, I found myself dropping and picking up this fic, repeatedly. I knew from just the summary alone that this fic was going to be bad. It doesn't help with the fact that some of my favourite authors have this fic in their favourites. And if you want an in-depth review of this fic, just go to the Library of the Damned, to save yourself from having to read this fic, and read my friend's, Herr Wozzeck, review of the fic in question.

category/mass-effect/parallel-realities/page/9/