Reviews for Parallel Realities
SaintMichael95 chapter 50 . 4/21
Awwww. Cute ending! I just want to say that this was a really great story. Granted there were some things I would've made different but that's just due to difference of opinion. I can honestly say that this is one of the best if not THE best Mass Effect story I have read. Oh by the way, you continually misspelled the word "species". You would instead write "specie" which means 'money in the form of coins rather than notes' not a race a people. So yeah that was a very annoying problem and should really be fixed.
SaintMichael95 chapter 46 . 4/20
Noooo! Why did you kill Kasumi?! You dick... *sniff*
Awwwwww
So cute
wilji1090 chapter 1 . 2/4
Regrettably, I just... could not finish this story. The poor bastardization of the Council was one of my biggest grievances I have had with this story. The Council makes a lot of boneheaded decisions this is true, yet never once does your Shepard present an option that might sound appealing to the Council ("Oh, well maybe the ship Saren used could have been a Terminus super weapon." or something to that effect) that might give them a story to sell to the public. Yeah, it might create a pseudo-Cold War with the Terminus Systems, but those are the best types of war as it allows for the powers involved to advance technology without the cost of war.

Shepard himself becomes unlikable right from the start in my opinion because of his special powers (Alpha Energy), his "tragic" backstory and insane black and white view of the world. Like some have said, the whole point of the Mass Effect games is that the choices you make have dire consequences, like... Zaeed's loyalty mission: You risk him not being loyal if you save the factory workers over chasing Vido. Kasmui's loyalty mission (which you skipped over) was supposed to be about either letting go of the past or being prepared to face the troubles that would arise from keeping such volatile information. Yet, this Shepard seems to have his cake and eat it too. Not to mention the hair trigger temper he has whenever someone mentions his working with Cerberus which prompts a regurgitation of his backstory every time it happens.

Tali, who I really don't have much of a care about, is entirely unrecognizable in this story. I don't recall Tali being overly emotional or even incompetent in any way with regards to actual story purposes, nor do I recall her getting captured so easily. The way that this Tali is portrayed would have Tumblr Feminists in an uproar over blatant sexism, especially for simply apologizing for being captured by a Cerberus goon. And why did Tali seem to freak out over Liara's fascination with the fact Shepard touched a Prothean beacon? Liara's one of my favorite characters and honestly, I would have just had Tali rationalize it as the beacon itself being what fascinated her not the man himself.

Story-wise, the whole thing is essentially a regurgitation of the plotlines to Mass Effect 1 and 2 with a few attempts at deviation such as Nihlus being alive, yet these small changes seem to not have the attention of the butterflies of alternate history and history seems to rubberband back into place up until the Mass Effect 3 storyline. Largely, I'm assuming this was written before Mass Effect 3 came out so I'm willing to overlook the problems that come up, until the ending. The Galactic Order, the galactic so afraid of the Council subjugating them, takes over the whole system of governance of the Milky Way and they take it sickeningly well. I have a problem with this because when it comes to that kind of action there is bound to be blowback. Why? People don't like it when you interfere in how their government works. Case in point? Iran in 1979 underwent a violent revolution because Ayatollah Khomeini took advantage of the people's frustration with the Shah of Iran who was seeming more and more a puppet of the United States.

A more sensible solution would've been for the sitting Council to have been impeached (I'd assume that the Council can still be subject to impeachment) and a new Council created to be more inclusive of the other members species. Especially since, if I recall, the Terminus Systems largely were people frustrated by the strict rules of the Council and disproportionate representation of the Asari Republics, Salarian Union, Turian Hierarchy, and then the Systems Alliance.

I feel that there was a lot of potential in the story because the concept was interesting enough, but it just fell waaaaay too short of my expectations. Too much black and white morality and not enough grey and gray morality. Especially since Cerberus here is presented more as an organization that Doctor Claw would be proud of and not a well intentioned extremist organization that Jack Harper presented as a counter to the Asari Justicars or the Salarian STG or even the Council Spectres.
Skepsis Forever chapter 50 . 12/7/2014
I loved it. Also, I saw coming what happened with Shepard at the last temple, it was pretty obvious, but still better than the alternative. I didn't see TIM being there, so that at least was a surprise. Best read in a long time, and I'm glad it has closure. Many stories leave hanging the fate of the protagonists, and you were very thorough in avoiding that, and for that also, you have my congratulations.
Guest chapter 50 . 9/10/2014
Nicw
Unknown chapter 50 . 7/19/2014
I really liked this fic but at some parts I had a better idea in my head.
Wanderer101 chapter 50 . 6/21/2014
I just spent 3 days reading this from start to finish...

...

Mind Officially Blown
GostWolfOne chapter 1 . 6/6/2014
I cannot find the words that can describe how much I hate this fic. Numerous times, I found myself dropping and picking up this fic, repeatedly. I knew from just the summary alone that this fic was going to be bad. It doesn't help with the fact that some of my favourite authors have this fic in their favourites. And if you want an in-depth review of this fic, just go to the Library of the Damned, to save yourself from having to read this fic, and read my friend's, Herr Wozzeck, review of the fic in question.

category/mass-effect/parallel-realities/page/9/
h chapter 1 . 6/6/2014
500 Metric Tonnes of Palladium chapter 50 . 6/5/2014
Well, this has to be one of the more bizarre fan fics I've ever read. I usually don't write reviews, but this particular story compelled me to, for some odd reason.

I will concede that it possesses an interesting concept - the idea that Shepard isn't human, but an alien from a parallel universe - and in the right hands it might have made for a unique take on the Mass Effect universe, such as hanging a lampshade on why Shepard is just so much better than everyone else in-game, or exploring the issue of whether humanity would accept Shepard their "saviour" after finding out that he isn't actually human. But this fic DOESN'T do these things. Instead, the whole "parallel universe" is just an excuse to make Shepard into one of the most blatant Gary Stus I've ever encountered in ME fan fic.

Case in point - Shepard belongs to a race that looks just like humans, but have natural biotics that exceed those of asari martriarchs, have physical strength five times that of humans, can perform mind-melds on a far deeper level than asari, are far more intelligent than humans, mature at a far greater rate than humans, and live in a utopian society without war or crime. They're an entire race of Mary Sues, and strike the reader as extremely improbable (consider that a race this powerful, that matures THIS quickly, would like require a caloric intake that would preclude them for doing anything except filling their faces with food all day long).

And yet despite ostensibly being an alternate universe story, there's a heckuva lot of copy-pasted dialogue from the game. I found myself skipping over most of it, for the simple reason that I'VE ALREADY PLAYED THE GAME SEVERAL TIMES. It rather defeats the purpose of having an AU story when so much of the plot and dialogue is just taken straight from canon.

And then there's Shepard himself. The last of his kind, stronger, faster, smarter than everyone around him! Took part in not one, not two, but ALL THREE of ME1's psychological profiles! Killed four (no, twelve!) thresher maws on foot! Helped design the Normandy! Cures Tali's weak immune system! Wields what is, essentially a lightsaber, and SOMEHOW manages to use it effectively in a universe where everyone uses GUNS! The list goes on. Shepard here literally has no weaknesses, and whatever flaws he possesses never, ever get him in trouble.

I ran this particular Shepard through the Universal Mary Sue Litmus Test, and even being conservative in ticking off boxes, he had a score of 58...putting him firmly in the highest echelon of Suedom.

Most damningly, he displays the classic Sue trait of being the moral fulcrum of the story. What is good? Whatever Shepard approves of. What is evil? Anything Shepard disapproves of. Who is good? The people who like Shepard. Who are evil? The people who dislike (or even merely disagree) with Shepard. Shepard murders an Alliance soldier in cold blood for daring to insult his choice of girlfriend, and the story gives no indication that this a bad thing. One of his allies KILLS EDI (who is shown to be nothing less than a fully sentient being in the game) merely for being based on Reaper tech, and once again, it's NEVER brought up as somehow morally wrong (or even morally questionable). He even manages to avoid any of the serious moral dilemmas presented in the game. One of the first sidequests in ME1 is deciding whether to allow the Alliance to study the body of Samesh Bhatia's wife in order to develop countermeasures against the geth, or to demand that her body be returned to her husband for burial. It's a question of doing the moral thing versus the practical thing, but here Shepard is just so awesome that he manages to satisfy BOTH parties! Likewise, during the Bring Down the Sky segment, Shepard manages to have his cake and eat it, too, both saving the prisoners AND apprehending Balak!

Furthermore, I take issue with the way Tali'Zorah is presented in this story. She's far more weak and helpless than she is in canon, to the point where, after being held hostage by Cerberus agents, she APOLOGISES to Shepard for getting captured! Not only that, the fact that Shepard can cure her weak immune system robs much of the poignancy to the in-game romance, where the danger of becoming intimate with Shepard was used to show how much she was willing to trust him. Here, it's just brushed aside so the two can easily get into bed with each other (in a love scene that's far too graphic for what's permitted on this site, I might add, and has more description dedicated to it than any action scene in the entire story!)

And what happens in the end? Shepard's galactic order effectively TAKES OVER THE GALAXY...and none of the races of the ME universe take issue with this, apparently.

To sum up - it's very difficult to keep the reader's interest in a story that features such a blatant Gary Stu, because there's no tension whatsoever. Nothing can threaten him, nothing can challenge him, and despite being presented as a paragon goodness and justice, his actions are often morally reprehensible. At this point, there's nothing that can be done for him except to hack him apart and bury him at the crossroads.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/7/2014
Hard to say how I feel after reading it.
It's now officially the best OP Shepard story,
but it mostly mental masturbation as Shepard
blows through any opposition and sticks it
to anyone that was every a nuance in the
games. It would fulfill that goal perfectly if it weren't so serious, what with Shepard always repeating the fate of his people.
That and the few points where some copy and paste were obvious had me skipping ahead. I hope they were copy and paste as it means you weren't repeating minor errors.
Still, a very impressive epic, one that hopefully spurns a sequel that puts the new gov in opposition to Council loyalists.
Thanks for the story and keep writing!
doctor anthony chapter 50 . 2/26/2014
A very good story.

The Council deserved what they got frankly. Ignore the critics.
Magisking chapter 50 . 2/26/2014
UUUUUUUUUGGGGHHHHHHHH... this story hurts my brain!
This ending makes the ending of ME3 look good. GOOD! I just... HOW!? Stupard and Tali-in-distress have such a cheesy romance that I can actually smell it. Stupard is a My Immortal level Gary Stu, as are every Parallel Reality species!

BTW, congrats. You're on the Library of the Damned.
doomsta27 chapter 1 . 11/17/2013