Reviews for The Summer Boy
PurpleCat30 chapter 1 . 11/23/2013
OMG! Kai kissed Rick.
Accidentally The Whole Fanfic chapter 1 . 11/4/2012
I think I read this some time back, and I'm not sure how it eluded my favorites list - it really is brilliant. Wistful, nostalgic, uplifting and heartbreaking all at once.

One of the things that really stuck out to me is how the storytelling subtly changed as Popuri got older and matured emotionally. Not just in the tone, but in the events presented - the older she gets, the more the events seem to be focused on her family than Rick and Kai's romantic rollercoaster. (Though those particular moments were very nice, not just because of my fondness of Kai and pairings involving him - they were quite intimate, it almost felt like I was intruding on something I shouldn't be when I read them.)

Or I could just be overanalyzing the hell out of this. Be that as it may, it's still a wonderful story.
The Scarlet Sky chapter 1 . 6/8/2011
Wow. I feel like I need to reread that, because this is something that just needs to marinate for a bit-there's so much goodness spread over so many snapshots of years. Very impressed by how you handled the various plotlines and characters, and how you didn't muddle around too much. You got to the point and gave each instance the correct amount of time to be enjoyed.

Enjoyed this immensely. Good stuff.
Myou Matsuro chapter 1 . 12/23/2010
It was beautiful to see Popuri's insight for once, and everything sounds beautiful. Everything adds up, and even though I had a bit of trouble tracking all the years that were mentioned as passing by, it was still very enjoyable. I love her quiet acceptance of Kai and her brother, and the scenes with Jack.

Jack's work in the barn and mining sound so much more romantic the way you described it than it seems in game, haha so I don't think I'll ever be able to brush or milk my cows without remembering your words. The situation between Zack and Lillia is so bittersweet, and the whole way through I found myself smiling sadly at these events. You did a very nice job, and included so much into this oneshot.
lemonsdarling chapter 1 . 12/19/2010
this made me tear up;; beautifully written, with distinct characters (that really fit the games & stay true to the personalities we can gather from them) and a beautiful plot - it's so intricate, and so true of life and - AUGH, IT'S LOVELY! definitely favoriting (:
Lorelei547 chapter 1 . 11/1/2010
I absolutely loved this your pacing is wonderful and I can tell you spent your time on this. And doing so definitely paid off! I feel like I have so many good things to say about this but I'm lost for words at the moment. It was great though, trust me! (: It was well worth the read.
sugarapplesweet chapter 1 . 10/31/2010
As everyone has said thus far, this is an absolutely wonderful piece!

I especially liked how even though the story was told mostly from Popuri's perspective, the people around her weren't lost through the course of events. We got to see them all grow in their own way, and while we may not know exactly what happens at the end, it's easy enough to it all out.

Good luck with the contest!

Peace and Love
Angel Peach Blossom chapter 1 . 10/20/2010
For something that took three years to write, I must say that it came out very well. It was written well, and I'm grateful you stuck to the same tenses throughout the story.

Grammar looked good, and I didn't see a problem with spelling!

Now this is just me, but to me, I didn't like the fact that we had a lot of small scenes in here. Sure, they fit nicely, but at the same time, it would have been better to me if the scenes were longer. Like the one where Popuri's dad came back for a week. All we got was one little paragraph. This is just a pet peeve of mine that has grown over the years, since I have similar short scenes in a couple of my older works. So, don't mind me.

Still, this is a very strong piece, I think. Good luck in the contest!
Justine Selene chapter 1 . 10/17/2010
Absolutely stunning. The plot weaves together so well...from childhood to parenthood. I love the complicated love between Kai, Popuri, and Rick. So realistic and heartwarming. The characters are so well flesh-outed. When I was reading this, I was literally entranced by how smooth and beautiful your writing is. Excellent job, my dear.

Justine
Ekoaleko chapter 1 . 10/17/2010
Gorgeous. I can tell you put a lot of effort into this. I love the way everything unraveled at a fitting pace, and how the atmosphere shifted from so sweet and innocent to something so mature and nostalgic. This is an amazing reflection/contrast between childhood and adulthood. Definitely something worth reading.
Shimmerleaf chapter 1 . 10/15/2010
I think you did an amazing job with this story, each scene was so clear and easy to visualize plus all the different emotions mixed in made this even better. This was written beautifully.

I wish you luck in the contest! :)
Tozz chapter 1 . 10/15/2010
wow. this is honestly beautiful. the slow build-up, the weaving of the scenes...wonderfully done. it felt like I was watching a movie, watching their lives play out in front of me. every bit felt realistic, from childhood to adulthood, and I loved getting to see the characters change.

this is really truly fantastic. excellent job.