Reviews for Try, Try Again
RansMuse chapter 1 . 2/16/2011
As I mentioned in another review, I've enjoyed all your GrimGrimoire (and ones from other genres, too, of course) stories. I just wanted to mention that this one is probably one of my favorites from this whole genre. Lillet's shy modesty and cunning way of turning the questions back on the queen was amazing. It shows her intelligence in a very subtle way that very much suits her.

It also has my absolute favorite Lillet line. "Why you should make me Mage Consul… ...I win, your Majesty…" That entire monologue makes me grin like a proud parent every time. Yes, Lillet Blan, you do indeed win. _

So awesome. Thank you for the great story. :)
DezoPenguin chapter 1 . 10/24/2010
Sorry for the delay in getting this review up!

All in all, this is a fun little story, and one which looks into a spot that the game doesn't look at-the Epilogue reveals that Lillet thinks Mage Consul is bit of a silly title and that she's modest about her magical abilities, but that begs the question of why she took the job. As a bonus, we get to see the Queen on-stage, one of the characters who's important to the game backstory but never actually seen.

I like their discussion. It's fun early on to see Lillet manage to trap Martelle a couple of places with clever diallogue ("Is this an interview?" and "Why didn't your Majesty go to the Silver Star Tower...?")

The dinner scene had all kinds of fun bits, as well, such as the Queen wondering about how being a farm girl related to appetite (which flags how the sheltered life at Court keeps a princess from understanding the effects of hard work), and her subsequent reflections on the uselessness of certain noble customs (where she basically flags that she knows that the previous point exists). Lillet's diet plan was funny.

Of course, I have to say thanks for all the shout-outs, but since you did decide to set this within the continuity of my stories I have to mention one specifically: when you talked about Lillet's work as a Royal Magician, where you picked up on a couple of the things I mentioned she'd been doing in various stories and brought them together into a unified project focus. That was neat!

With regard to the actual conclusion, I can only repeat what I said to the draft version, since it still applies: Lillet in the game is always focused on the personal rather than the external; her ambitions are personal—learn magic, help her family, rescue Amoretta, save her friends and teachers, keep Margarita and Bartido from being penalized for their external allegiances, even her last line is "have I become what you wanted—a great magician?" There's a point there in regard to this story—Lillet was a kid when she went to the Tower, and even with a thousand years or so of learning, she didn't get the benefit of that in terms of life experience. What you're showing here is Lillet-the-girl essentially graduating into The Real World, where instead of being what amounts to a government-sponsored research scientist, she's being asked to apply that knowledge to life as a whole. In doing so, you did quite a nice job on expanding on the metaphor of "Life in a Bottle," during which that story takes place. That title referred to the literal life of Amoretta and to the effect on Lillet that the hostage plot created, an emotional imprisonment—but here you expand it from "closed, restricted life in a classroom or lab" to "participation in a life in which her decisions have a real, direct impact on people's lives."