Reviews for In Defense of Hufflepuff
IDM chapter 1 . 11/13/2016
I kind of agree with a good majority of what you say except for the Zacharias bit.

Again, part of the reason we don't really know any characters in Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw (aside from maybe Cedric and definitely Luna) aside from the superficial at best or as a caricature at worst, is because we're seeing it all through Harry's POV. Harry is the EPITOME of the unreliable narrator and a self-absorbed one at that. I mean, let's face it, he can be just as judgmental as the very Dursleys he despises, making snap judgements about what people are like from brief interactions and sticking with his first impression. That's a tool that allows Rowling to make great use of plot twists and big and small mysteries, but the fact remains that Harry's word CAN'T be taken as gospel, especially about people he doesn't really interact with.

What do we know about Zacharias Smith? That in the fourth book he was an ardent supporter of Cedric Diggory and so after his disappearance and his corpse's reappearance with Harry as the only witness he came to the DA because he wanted answers? I'm sorry, but from where I'm standing, that's a more than valid reason to be suspicious and cynical of every word that comes out of Harry's mouth.

Harry might be the audience surrogate, but the thing of it is that doesn't make him a blameless saint.

Does it suck that he now has a reputation as a liar and a possible murderer? Yeah, sure. But so have other people in different ways and Harry himself was guilty of jumping to conclusions about them, same as the public has. How did people like Sirius (who had it INFINITELY worse than Harry) change his perception? By telling their own damned side of the story and not assuming it's his automatic right that people believe him without question.

Zacharias, while rude in the way most teenagers are rude when they DON'T trust someone (and with a valid reason!), gave Harry a hand-wrapped gift of giving him the opportunity to settle the score with the truth to a massive audience who would then go on to trickle down the truth to others. That's the sort of thing most people falsely accused could only DREAM of. Sirius would have LOVED someone to say: "OK, I don't necessarily believe you, but I'm willing to hear you out."

Considering that what happened to Hufflepuff House was the equivalent of Oliver Wood (Harry's beloved Quidditch mentor) only an even bigger idol going missing and the person who brought back his corpse is a virtual stranger you maybe shared a class or two with, who you only know by reputation and that reputation is murky and contradictory even before the media storm, and they're claiming some dead bogeyman from before your time did it.

Are you telling me that if it had been Oliver Wood it happened to with another witness/survivor, Harry and co would not have assumed the worst or tried to get to the truth (albeit being abrasive about it?).

Of course they would. Heck, they might not even extend the courtesy of asking for the other person's side of the story like Zacharias did, Harry is judgmental enough that he might just stick to his first impression and not budge until given impossible to argue proof.

So, with Zacharias "pestering" as some people call it for the truth, does Harry take the opportunity to tell his side of the story IN PERSON to the people who deserve to know?

Nope, it turns into a quell all skeptics and opposition session because it turns out Harry can't abide by people not toeing his party-line.

Then, when he does tell the full story, it's to SKEETER (you know, one of the most VOCAL people saying Harry's a liar throughout the year) and the press. Sure, WE the audience know that Skeeter is bound to tell the truth because of that whole blackmail thing, but how the heck are regular joes NOT connected to that event supposed to know that?

From Zach and other's POV, the journalist did a complete 180 on what they were saying, further muddying the waters of a media that is already clearly lying. The fact that Harry said it to the mercurial media that changes its mind constantly (though effective in spreading the message) but not in person makes him very suspect.

Is Zach disloyal for not trusting or believing Harry? Of course not, because he never once pledged his loyalty to him. He joined the DA to find out what happened to Cedric (implying a relationship prior to that, maybe Ced was his mentor at Quidditch?), displaying loyalty to Cedric.

The fact that Harry did nothing to earn Zacharias' trust doesn't mean the latter is disloyal, just that he chooses who is worthy of his loyalty, Harry was found lacking and so wasn't given his loyalty.

Also, just because he doesn't believe in Harry as a person or a leader doesn't automatically make him a Death Eater sympathizer. It'd be like saying someone who distrusts X Left Wing nominee is automatically a Right Winger. It just means that some people view a particular Left Wing Nominee as someone they won't rally behind, while still disagreeing with Right Wing values. (Hence my hatred of two party systems or overly simplistic morality tales).

As far as we see, Zach considers Voldemort the much bigger evil, but to fight and put your life on the line for a leader you don't trust? Especially during an AUTOCRATIC REGIME.

My parents lived through a totalitarian regime in their youth. You want to know what their thoughts are on that? If an army is marching your way, getting out of dodge is the SMART thing to do. It's not cowardice to run from an advancing army.

To paraphrase Talleyrand: "Those who have not lived under the regime don't know the sweetness of living."

We don't know anything about Zach except Harry's judgements so a lot of people give him grief because he had the gall to not automatically like Harry.

But the thing of it is, Harry is just as human as Zach, and he can also be an undeserving, judgmental $$H0LE in his own right. (This is not even touching on the fact that Harry put the entire school in danger by announcing himself and having that flashy duel when he could've delegated and sent PROXIES to get the fangs and FIND HELENA AND DIADEM!)
Anonymous chapter 1 . 6/17/2016
YESSS! Fellow Hufflepuff! Finally, a person who doesn't think Hufflepuffs are weak-kneed wimps. J. K. Rowling even stated that her daughter said, "Shouldn't we all wish to be Hufflepuffs?" and the answer is yes.
And while Slytherin has produced the most amount of dark witches and wizards, Gryffindor is close behind. Then comes clever Ravenclaw, and finally Hufflepuff. What does that tell you?
Could you do this for Slytherin? Because I have a Slytherin friend who is the nicest person I've ever met.
SkyetheRaven chapter 1 . 1/26/2016
Hufflepuffs for the win! ;)
Guest chapter 1 . 10/2/2015
Thank you for saying this! Hufflepuffs are the best:) seriously though, loyalty, friendship, and hard work are often more important than flashy ambition or bravery. Loyalty causes people to be brave, anyway, so it's practically the same thing.
Cheerfully Blue chapter 1 . 6/15/2015
Wow! Great arguments! I was also sorted into Hufflepuff, and I was heartbroken for a little while until I realized there was really no other place I would rather be.
HufflepuffHero chapter 1 . 6/10/2015
Thank you! I am a Hufflepuff and proud of it and I have always hated how the other houses put us down a lot. The way I see it, Hufflepuffs make up for their lack of other qualities by working hard and being determined and loyal. Hufflepuffs seem to be a lot of outcasts like me, and I like the fact that Hufflepuff is full of many people like me! Sure, there are a lot of jerks in Hufflepuff, but the other houses have their share of jerks as well! Every Hufflepuff should be proud, and Hufflepuffs have more fun! Once again, thank you for writing this!
imketys chapter 1 . 4/24/2015
Thank you.
Diamond chapter 1 . 9/22/2013
Beautifully written, great explanation. You give me Hufflepuff pride!
NimbusSeer14161 chapter 1 . 2/25/2013
I completely agree. Although all the quizes i have taken show i am gryffindor, i hav an undieing respect for the loyal huffelpuff!
Dark Chrona chapter 1 . 2/3/2013
Thank you! I love Hufflepuff ever since I read the first book personally but the way you show proof of how Hufflepuff is just as good as the other houses is amazing :)
Into-Your-Gravity chapter 1 . 1/14/2013
Good for you! I, a fellow Hufflepuff, (according to pottermore) commend you for this proper analysis.
Not Afraid To Dream chapter 1 . 11/5/2012
Hufflepuffs are whats the word...TOTALLY AWESOME!
HufflepuffFinder98 chapter 1 . 9/25/2012
As a Hufflepuff, this fanfiction makes me proud of my house! Hufflepuff rules!
Guest chapter 1 . 7/7/2012
LONG LIVE HUFFLEPUFFS.
BlueViolets87 chapter 1 . 4/27/2012
I was always wanting to be in Ravenclaw but I have finally have come to be glad to be in Hufflepuff. Hufflepuff pride! Thank you for writing this. We are not nothings and never will be!