Reviews for Half Asleep
Lindril chapter 9 . 1/5
Before this, I wasn't really a fan of Zutara, but NOW I ship it. So much. This was absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for writing it. You're amazing :)
Youkomon chapter 9 . 12/14/2015
This was a very enjoyable read, with the way everything was woven together into a dark fariytale, each chapter feeling self-contained, and yet also interconnected with those that came both before and after. Similar, in a way, to how the bulge of a thatched reed can feel like a stark bump to the fingers, yet, on stepping back, can to the eyes be just another jenga piece in an entire basket.

I'm not sure what it is; the almost gothic twist in the horror of the temple where people were left to die, the way Katara was placed in the role of a hero completing an uneviable quest, or the way the characters grew and reflected each others journeys of self discovery as the story progressed...but this piece both fell into the template of a myth and yet defied it as well. Maybe it was because we always had Katara, the honest but flawed narrator and her thoughts injecting the story with her determined and all too human views, as well as her guilt for the way she handled certain situations. It crept in and made it real.

I also found myself really enjoying Mai in this fic. She actually made me laugh, and I enjoyed the respect given to her as well as the way she innately knew she deserved it.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/28/2015
My favorite part of the story is where they go into the forest. As it was playing out, images just came to me. I could see the forest and the temple with my mind eye, and I could feel the despair and desolation of the place. Simply magnificent!
Fanboy chapter 6 . 11/28/2015
Wonderfully done. A true work of art. Kudos to you!
stardust made chapter 9 . 11/12/2015
oh my god. this was amazing. there's a lot more i want to say but i really need to go to sleep and i'm pretty sure there are a couple chapters i haven't reviewed so if i need to expand on my ramblings i will definitely expand bahaha.

my favorite favorite FAVORITE thing about this chapter is the first segment with the two spirits and katara talking. i love the format; i love that the spirits are italicized and i love that katara is talking in the format of how third person is set up; it makes it feel like first person, personal, without doing a weird switch into first person point of view. i thought it was brilliant, your two paragraphs describing the hurt and the pain that she had to go through, that she inflicted on people, and then the paragraph describing all the good things. that paragraph was larger, which was a great physical comparison (kinda like the pros outweighing the cons), and then i love that you included a little bit of everyone, especially that part about jet and dry leaves, because it's all so important to her and it makes her who she is.

i love that the chapter's title is sun, i love that your opening line is hey kid you did good. i think that's a great line; there's a lot of voice in that line, and god! everything tied together! how did you do that?! with azula, with the spirit's warnings and the bone, with the dialogue coming back full circle, with the placement of the flashbacks to set up for future actions - damn. damn you did good - more than good holy crap you are definitely an inspiration. will definitely give this another read and i will definitely look to this as a role model as i try a hand at zutara (one day).

thanks for the amazing read, the heart-pounding, toe-clenching, finger-curling, stupid grinning moments. hope this wasn't too much of a long ramble haha.
stardust made chapter 8 . 11/12/2015
oh m god. this was so intense. i was legit freaking out; everything just opened out like a movie. freaking koh he's so scary! badass katara! and aang and god when azula showed up and every time she popped back into the scene i was freaking out. the dialogue between everyone was so crisp and in character, especially mai's - i loved everything that came out of her mouth. your details are awesome and your creation of atmosphere through details and dialogue is perfect.

a few times i was pulled out due to some phrases that didn't seem to fit, specifically with the action scenes - one that stands out to me specifically is the fight with azula and katara, where katara sees stars, threw me for a loop, not with the fact that she sees stars but the way it was written. it didn't flow for me as well, like it felt out of place, i'm not sure how to describe it.

oh oh! love how koh collapses with "...oh?" god it was just a lovely scene; yo ucould really see it in your head, and the well done part reminded me of the river spirit from spirited away but not cool and awesome but creepy and terrifying. and everything azula said! so crazy, but it fit and it mad sense and i loved it. AND THE PRICE. AHHHH. okay i'll stop now and get on with the next chapter so i can go to sleep. bahah.
stardust made chapter 4 . 11/12/2015
bro your writing of the time she spends in the spirit world is perfectly creepy. your description, the dialogue, the timing of specific details like the teeth in that one spirit's mouth - perfect. sends shivers and makes my eyes bulge.

ahhh aang. that was a good, dramatic scene. i liked katara's reasoning; i could definitely see that she would lash out and that he wouldn't retaliate and how it would bother her. i also really love how toph understands everyone so well and how sometimes, their best traits can be their worse - katara's mothering, aang's passiveness. am i sensing a little taang, too?! :D
Guest chapter 9 . 7/27/2015
THIS IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE ZUTARA FIC. IT HAD EVERYTHING IVE EVER WANTED. THE ANNNGGGSSSSTTTTT YESSSSSS. ZUTARA. KATARA SACRIFICING HERSELF TRAGICALLY. BADASS FIGHT SCENES. ZUTARA. AN AMAZING WELL THOUGHT OUT AND PLAUSIBLE PLOT. ZUTARA. IN CHARACTER CHARACTERS. MAI AMD TY LEE. ZUTARA. RIDDLES. YOU ARE AN AMAZING PERSON AND I LOVE YOU. I WILL LEAVE YOU NICE MESSAGES ON TUMBLR NOW TOO. my url is darkheartlink. Prepare to be spammed with compliments.
accioelements chapter 9 . 7/24/2015
This is absolutely brilliant, one of the best fics I've ever read - atla or not! You have an amazing writing style, everything flowed so well & you give such vivid descriptions I never had a problem picturing what was happening! This felt darker than some of the other fics I've read for atla but it was never overdone or over exaggerated, I loved it. It's refreshing to have an author willing to play outside the lines, I was on edge the entire time reading - it really makes it more exciting because I genuinely never knew what to expect! My heart was racing to the point where I could actually hear it beating in my own ears/worried it was gonna break through my chest & i love a fic that can actually do that (it doesn't happen often hahaha). All of the character developments were so thorough, & I loved how you were able to write each one so vividly! You managed to stay true to every single character & develop each of them in a way that would align with the show but was still exciting to read which was awesome! Not one character was left untouched - even Pathik had moments! I LOVED your take on the spirit world, it was twisted & complex & very believable - it felt so real! I was almost sad when they escaped because it was such an exciting place! You're plot was amazing, I don't even know where to begin - it was so carefully constructed & intricate & I really feel like it could have happened in the show. All of the subplots & transitions & everything was so brilliant & detailed - I'm sad I finished reading this because I want it to keep going! I loved the final confrontation between Katara & Koh, that was thrilling! I loved seeing Katara find all of the little hints from toph/sokka/friends & tie them together! i really loved seeing a Katara who wanted to take care of business & could actually do it! Oh and the whole thing with aangs face/Koh revealing katara & zukos secret?! AMAZING. It was so unexpected & my heart dropped I was pretty much dying because it was so sad but even though I wanted to scream I couldn't help but grin because it was so brilliantly executed. There were so many amazing moments! This deserves all the reviews in the world, it's by far one of the best fics on here! I'm gonna go try & calm down because now I'm feeling things & then I'm gonna stalk your profile for more stories bc I loved every second of this!
rengisol chapter 9 . 7/23/2015
What a wonderful story! Great work!
Serendipithy chapter 9 . 6/26/2015
The drama, suspense, and especially the description were well executed and written! I'm not a huge fan of ATLA, so my knowledge of the Spirit World is fuzzy at best. Though I had no clue what the Koh was, or if it even exists in canon, you were able to describe it perfectly. It was easy to imagine the action, the characters and spirits, and the emotions. Thanks for a great read!
nyanyanyan chapter 9 . 5/25/2015
I binge read this fix for two days. You are really an amazing writer. Is there a sequel?
Vena Grey chapter 9 . 5/20/2015
This is extremely well-conceived. I'm both surprised and not surprised that it doesn't have more reviews; surprised because you write with an elegance and fluidity that's rare in fanfiction, not surprised because the stories that tend to get the most reviews on FFN are heavy on the romance element. This was a fairly traditional narrative, but it was engaging and made me think.

Others have described the way you portray the spirit world as creepy, and I agree with that. It's a more sophisticated and mature spirit world than either ATLA or LoK portrayed and that adds a certain something to this story I really haven't ever seen before in this fandom. The Mai-Katara friendship was also nicely developed. The only thing I didn't like was Azula's portrayal as a fairly straight-out villain, but that's mainly due to the number of stories I've been reading lately that feature a redemption arc for her character. Yours was more canon-loyal, and anyway, she was spot on. Very nice work overall.
electric gurrl chapter 9 . 5/10/2015
I loved this. It was enrapturing and had a creepy, intriguing build. The imagery was lovely, the characters were all perfect. Zuko and Katara were IC, which is good, but Aang also was IC and not belittled and got a part of the story that I think he deserved. Azula was a villain, but she was so well written, so scary, the climax had my heart racing. I think I just read 80k words in one night, wow. Mai, I commend you on completely. She was portrayed as not right for Zuko, but not a bad person because of that, and she and Katara's friendship was awesome. I love the idea of them being friends, and that's kind of rare just because they share a potential LI.

I found this because I have been scouring my fandoms for a really good eerie, mysterious type of story since reading a really good one in the HP fandom, and I found it and more here. There also was a great journey, and the stakes were constantly high without being overreaching. The danger was so real, the plot was really well thought out and everything tied up neatly.

And a happy ending, oh yes. That makes me very happy. Amazing fic!
mollrat chapter 9 . 5/2/2015
I like that Mai and Katara got to interact. Great story!