Reviews for Ignosce Mihi
VampireNaomi chapter 1 . 10/29/2010
Haha, it's quite obvious to me how a joke on MSN could develop into something like this. It always happens like that with you. Someone mentions a great idea and then your brain starts working on it and before you know it, you're well into writing a story about it. I mean, how many times has that happened already? And it's awesome because it means you're always working on some good story.

I can't put it into words how much I liked this story. I played the third game something like seven years ago, and Buchelli was instantly my favourite character in it. However, as you can imagine, there was absolutely no fanwork about him (not that there's a lot of GK fanwork anyway). I never thought I'd get to read a fic about him, so I'm just thrilled that you decided to write something about his background.

The beginning is very powerful because you throw the reader right in the middle of the action without stopping to explain why Buchelli is so distressed and what he's doing at the church. It makes the whole thing seem very intriguing and forces the reader to keep going. All the referenced to his great sin and how terrible he felt were well done. I particularly liked it when you referred to him as a lamb caught in a storm - that's some great religious imaginary right there. Still, it was very heartbreaking to read about his anguish because he was blaming himself and feeling so much shame for something that's not actually wrong, at least in my opinion. Buchelli felt like a trapped animal in these scenes.

Your description of Gennaro and what kind of person he is was really interesting. I like the contrast between being an extremely helpful and kind man and yet one who is used to taking what he wants. Even though there was very little direct interaction shown in the fic, the way Gennaro was portrayed made it obvious why Buchelli fell for him. Gennaro feels like a man with enormous charisma. I also like it how the development of their bond was so sneaky. After all, Buchelli didn't realise that part of the reason why he liked visiting the homeless shelter was Gennaro, not just the work he did there. And yet, despite how much I grew to like Gennaro, I can't help but think he's at least a bit selfish. Surely he realised that Buchelli wasn't entirely himself or that succumbing to his desire would bring him pain? Since Buchelli couldn't do it, Gennaro could have tried to keep a clear head in the situation before things got too far. But then we wouldn't have this fic, so I can't complain too much.

Father Donati was simply a wonderful character. My favourite moment was when he took out the bottle of wine and admitted it was one of his weaknesses. His endless compassion and patience were a great contrast to the loathing Buchelli felt for himself. I shudder to think what might have happened to him if he had talked to a less understanding priest. Donati knew exactly what to do and say to make Buchelli feel better, and yet at the same time I never got the impression that he thought Buchelli's "mistake" was irrelevant. There was still the air that he had sinned and done something wrong, but it wasn't treated as an unforgivable crime that he can never make up for. I particularly liked the moment when he asked if Buchelli was really ready to live his life as a priest. Priests have to sacrifice a lot, so it's certainly not a life meant for the weak.

The ending of the story left me in somewhat melancholy spirits. On one hand, Buchelli is going to start a new life in Rome, but at the same time I feel that the path he has chosen is going to restrict his life a lot. On the other hand, I'm sure he can be content even like this, especially since he's so determined to spend his life serving God. I guess I'm just torn because I would never ever in a million years be able to become a nun. XD It's a bit hard to get into the head of a character who's so different from oneself, but you did a wonderful job with Buchelli in this story. I truly enjoyed reading this.