Reviews for An Actor's Penance
Guest chapter 4 . 4/16/2013
I have no idea how I possibly missed reading this but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it now.
csad21 chapter 4 . 3/5/2012
I really love this story. Mainly because of the same reasons as I loved your other story, "Of Newspapers...": The character analysis, the drama that is not melodrama, that bitter resignation of Tony's, the way Gibbs doesn't really understand even when he thinks he does after Fornell's visit.

Another of the main reasons I love this story is this line:

[ ...Gibbs can "semper fi" them all he wants but in the end, it's Tony who'll stay with them... ] AND [ For a marine, he certainly has been leaving quite a few people behind. ]

Because I've never seen another story that outright said this, and I didn't think I'd ever see one. (Of course such a story could be out there and I'm not seeing it despite actively searching for it, but that's not the point. So yeah. Kudos and thanks for using those sentences *without* any sort of OTT bashing or melodrama that would negate it.)

Of course these lines are powerful as well, in my opinion:

He's always known, though, that his best is never good enough. No matter that he exhausts himself looking for a lead, if Gibbs so much as lifts up the case file, he gets the credit.

[...]

They're not what makes him stay (nothing is, really) but they are what make him not leave.

Because Tony's sense of duty is a mile wide at it's narrowest point, and he doesn't think Vance has ever crossed it. He won't ever have the option of a sojourn to Mexico, or even a two day vacation, whether he stays at NCIS for nine years or ninety. Gibbs can "semper fi" them all he wants but in the end, it's Tony who'll stay with them, Tony who'll hold the team together when they're out of superglue.

people [McGee] loves to hate

DiNozzo's turned down God knows how many promotions for something many would describe as self abuse.

The only thing worse than kicking a dog when it's down is not learning from your mistakes and kicking it again.

And despite the three police departments that have a place on DiNozzo's resumé, Gibbs knows that if either of them resign, it'll be him.

But he can't help but wonder why anything good that happens to Tony is always immediately negated. (Me too!)

It is not the conquering but the fighting well that makes history.

"You'll do? They thought – we thought – I was only just good enough." More hesitation. "Am I?"

(Though gotta say, if I'm honest, not a fan of the fluffy ending-it feels like it was too easy, like it negates some of the drama of the other chapters. But that could be only me.)

Bottom line: really loved this story. Thanks for this very nice contribution to the fandom, and if you don't mind me saying so, hope you'll write more NCIS fanfic in future-or at least some other fandom I recognise, simply because I've come to like your writing style based on those two NCIS fics and would love to see more.
Reader's Friend chapter 1 . 1/11/2012
Don't waste time waiting for Herky to update. She's a starter Not a finisher just check her story list.
Ms Public Serivce Announcement chapter 1 . 9/26/2011
Well if your waiting for an update from Herky you'll be waiting 's notorious for starting multi-chapter fics and then another and another without ever seeming to actually finish them.

Don't waste your time but check out cool slash/mpreg writers such as Taylor Gibbs. Just use search Tony/Gibbs/Romance and youll soon find them or Google.

She will complain this is about 'flaming' her (what an ego!) but it's not. Its more a public service announcement for those readers who appreciate quality writing and author who RESPECT readers having the right to express an opinion.

Spread the word and support authors who deserve it. Ms PSA.
ytteb chapter 4 . 8/4/2011
I only caught this story at the end and so had the pleasure of reading it at one sitting. I like your style of writing very much - laced with just the right amount of humour and showing, somehow, that even Gibbs doesn't take himself entirely seriously. You caught their way of speaking very well so that it seemed entirely plausible that Gibbs could find the words with which to apologise. And I also liked the way that Tony 'shut him up' at the end showing really that he doesn't need very much from Gibbs ... just an occasional thank you. Well done.
Katjandante chapter 4 . 8/3/2011
I absolutely loved this story. You were spot-on in your analysis of the situation, and how Tony is treated, and it's rather upsetting, really, because I have a story in the works that deals with this exactly, and now I don't think I even need to finish it, because you pretty much said it all, and so beautifully to boot! (joking, lol ;)

Really enjoyed it though, like the choice of tense, the humour and insights, and I only wish it were longer :)
peanutmeg chapter 4 . 8/2/2011
Thanks for the update! I'm glad Gibbs finally spoke with Tony, and their dialogue was wonderful! :) Thanks for sharing!
Washington-Jones chapter 4 . 8/2/2011
*dancing out of Joy*

Tibbs family
Washington-Jones chapter 3 . 8/2/2011
Shannon's sentence is marvellous
Washington-Jones chapter 2 . 8/2/2011
Fornell's part is just legendary !
Washington-Jones chapter 1 . 8/2/2011
I wish we could hug him better.
Madances chapter 4 . 8/2/2011
I did enjoy this chapter but it has been so long that I plan to reread all of it again, first to last. Is this the end or will there be more? Tracy
DiNo22 chapter 4 . 8/2/2011
Thank you for not resisting the fluffy ending. Loved it!
Callisto-HK chapter 4 . 8/2/2011
Nice ending.. Thanks for finishing this story, I thought you wouldn't come back for it.
DS2010 chapter 4 . 8/1/2011
LIked the ending rare that those two have a heart to heart