Reviews for DUDE! That Thing Just Talked!
Digidestined Dude 15 chapter 1 . 11/19/2012
XD That ending never gets old! I'd pay to see Lianjie's face when Terriermon waved at him! LOL
Heartwarming Friendship chapter 1 . 11/30/2011
Lol that was funny! I love Terriermon though :P And Jen too :]
Ian R. Moros chapter 1 . 5/8/2011
Right off the bat I'm going to say I love how you've fleshed-out Rinchei's personality. I don't think he had so much as a single line in the show, but I'm not sure if that makes it easier or harder to turn him into a developed character. Either way, the final product turned out well. Having him be a serious gamer makes sense, but again we're given so little to go on with him that there's no real wrong path to take.

Though you did express some doubts, the humor in this story really does I particularly like about it is that, while it is all built around one central joke, the humor takes on a whole variety pack of forms and flavors, ranging from the running gag of Rinchei getting Terriermon's name wrong to the slapstick moments, the schadenfreude over this string of embarassments, and the visual humor. If I might address the last of those first, I find that your writing style invokes an image in the reader's mind that amounts to more than just what appears on the page. During the space between when Rinchei sneaks Terriermon into his room right up until the end, I found myself imagining his gestures as being much more extreme and dramatic as a result of his frustration, being labeled the crazy one. Throughout the piece, in fact, there seemed to be more jokes happening than you had written. I know it's not exactly an experience that every reader will share, but I think the tone, the pacing, and the imagery you provide facilitates an imaginative interpretation.

Speaking of Rinchei's 'breakdown' toward the end, it really pokes fun at the whole premise. We just take for granted that Terriermon, a living, breathing creature, can just pass for a stuffed toy despite frequent and repeated close contact with the family. No one so much as bats an eye at it. It's absurd, and I love absurdist humor. Then all of a sudden, Rinchei seems to have an almost religious awakening; by simply asking "Aren't you, I dunno, a little old to carry that thing around?" he unwittingly comes close to breaking the fourth wall. He sees through the plot fog and realizes there is something more than a little off going on. Only then does he start to see the things that anyone should be able to see when they aren't wearing their contrivance goggles. And then the real irony of the situation is that everyone else treats HIM like he's the crazy one. Of course he's correct and you would have to be insane not to see the same thing. And then it all tops off with Janyuu asking if he's on drugs. I could tell you were having a ton of fun with that scene-when a writer's having fun the writing reflects that. It does raise an interesting question though. When does this take place? Clearly this is all before the rest of the family knew about Terriermon, but there was a time when Janyuu knew about Terriermon while the rest of Jen's family were still in the dark. I'm not sure if I prefer to think Janyuu is playing it straight or if he's actually in on Jen's efforts to deceive Rinchei.

Finally, I'll just say I love how none of the three central characters escape this story with their dignity intact. Terriermon really gets put through the wringer when it comes to keeping his disguise at all costs. Rinchei is made to question his own sanity. Even Jen has to jump through hoops to cover for Terriermon and, of course, had Rinchei burst in on him at an inopportune moment. (Actually, that one brought another unwritten visual gag to mind.) Nothing helps humiliation like spreading it around.

I'm not going to say it's perfect, but it's damn close for what you seem to be going for. The variety, pacing, and genuine quality of the humor really hold this piece together.
Riku Murasaki chapter 1 . 2/19/2011
XD FUCK YES! This was hilarious. A wonderful comedic bit. I almost think a sort of "coming out" story for Terriermon's existence might be pretty great. (It would obviously be extremely AU.) Hell, Ori-san? What would you thin of a collaborative work based on that. I have yet to write Digimon fic, but I have writing experience elsewhere, and I think that would be pretty awesome.
The Silent Insomniac chapter 1 . 2/5/2011
Who knew terriermon could withstand such abuse?

Good job
AlphaWolf13 chapter 1 . 1/17/2011
WOW! I seriously almost died. That was the hardest I've ever laughed IN MY LIFE. Seriously Ori, bless you. You are amazing. My life would have little meaning with your writing. Never stop, writing is clearly what you're ment to be doing.

AlphaWolf13
Some1 U Dunno chapter 1 . 10/18/2010
Oh god! Cant stop laughing! So hillarious! But I feel sorry for Rinchei. Keep up great Lee family works! :3