Reviews for Pausing to Smell the Roses
cassikat chapter 1 . 12/23/2021
I always thought Susan was treated a bit shabby by her family and the Chronicals. I mean, yes she turned her back on Narnia in favor of grown-up things...which, in the 40's-50's, for women were dolling oneself up to attract a (hopefully) good husband. And yes, one could see that as turning her back on Narnia...but so few ever stop to look at it from her point of view.

In Narnia she's a queen. True, she's expected to defer to her brothers, but she commanded respect! She Did Important Things! And then after two visits to this completely different land, and an incredible amount of growth... it's snatched away and she's trapped in a world where she's patted on the head and expected to let the men take all the responsibility. The sheer amount of mental scrambling to try to Make Sense of everything she was going through...it's no wonder her parents thought the trip to America would be good for her!

And then the loss of her entire familyparents, siblings and cousinI'm frankly surprised she didn't end up in a sanitarium wearing a hug-me jacket!
Guest chapter 1 . 9/6/2020
Even though Edmund Pevensie is a jerkass Anti-Hero that does a Heel–Face Turn in the first book, his personality is quite ambiguous and hard to define in the rest of the books and especially the movie versions. While he is on the good side in the second and the third parts, many factors like his Deadpan Snarker tendencies and his dark thoughts that seem to be brought to surface in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader several times still reveal traces of his Anti-Hero mode. He's the only character who has a page specially dedicated to his personality.

Acts of Aslan that some readers have found questionable include refusing aid to an untrained child in a fight with a battle-hardened leader of the Queen's secret police, raking the back of another to punish her for drugging a slave to escape an arranged marriage, and mocking one of his followers for asking for healing. He may have an Omniscient Morality License, but as with all such characters, there will be people who disagree with this.

Since Aslan is Jesus in a different form, some people blame Aslan for the train crash in "The Last Battle". Some blame Aslan either for not preventing it or causing it. Others point out there is no indicator Aslan caused it, Aslan merely took Peter, Edmund, Lucy, Digory and Polly at the moment of the crash so they could win the Narnian apocalypse for good and end up in Heaven without enduring the painful, deadly injuries the crash would've inflicted. It has been a pretty contentious discussion, let's leave it at that.

Susan, infamously. While there is more going on with her absence from the ending of The Last Battle than simply an interest in makeup and parties, many readers feel that her failings are not as bad as Lewis intended, and that losing both of her parents and all three of her siblings in a train crash (and the fact that nothing in the book acknowledges how this will affect her) is a disproportionately cruel ending to give the character.

The books contain the lesson that the real world is a harsh and violent place that sometimes takes a fair amount of violence to survive in. C. S. Lewis was even quoted once as saying that pretending otherwise would do a great disservice to children. Once again, an example of a very true and important Aesop, but one that many parents would rather their children didn't know.

Lewis has taken a lot of flak in recent years for his Values Dissonance-laden statement in LWW that "battles are ugly when women fight." But other books do show that Susan and Lucy and Jill Pole are capable fighters and can hold their own in a battle. Consider that the U.S. Military didn't allow women in combat zones until the 1990s, and not in direct combat at all until 2013. Lewis's statement, written in 1950, merely refers to situations in which wars are so terrible and invasive upon the civilian population that women, who would only have been in the civilian (not military) population, are forced to fight for their lives. Replace the word "women" with "civilians" in your mind and it conveys more closely what Lewis actually meant but in a modern context.

The Last Battle. The children will live in Narnia forever, which is what they always wanted (Aslan's Country being Heaven), but it's still jarring to realize that, in our world, they're all dead. Neil Gaiman notably takes this into account in his fanfic "The Problem With Susan," wherein Susan confides to a girl interviewing her on her teaching career that she had to identify all the corpses of her friends and family in the aftermath.

there's a good amount of fans who prefer to ignore the final novel because they think is too dark of a conclusion, specially the ending where Narnia is destroyed. The Seven Friends of Narnia died in a trainwreck (5 of them have less that 30 years, two of them were minors) and only Susan survives because she decide to grown up from Narnia many dislike the way the franchise ended in such a bittersweet note with some feeling like it contradicts Aslan telling to the children in previous books to grow-up from Narnia and prefer to stop reading after either The Silver Chair or The Magician's Nephnew (depending your prefered order).
Yuki Suou chapter 1 . 3/13/2020
Not gonna lie, I cried. I'm one of those who had always spoken up in support of Susan and this fic gives a wonderful ending to that.
BlazeStryker chapter 1 . 8/26/2019
Fan Fiction Net (why give their link? They don't like other links) may or may not like this, but it is what it is; over at Twisting The Hellmouth (look it up) there's a few stories of an older Susan Pensevie that rea but remained a part of the adult world.

I think you'd like those tales. I know I liked this one.
NaniteSystems chapter 1 . 5/9/2019
Beautifully crafted and bittersweet. Great work!
Forum Explorer chapter 1 . 5/7/2019
That is a quality story right there. I do love characters with faith though.
bibliophile632 chapter 1 . 9/7/2018
Susan is so strong and gentle here. It made me teary
LCat chapter 1 . 8/14/2018
Excellent!
Dee474 chapter 1 . 6/1/2018
great story
Guest chapter 1 . 2/26/2018
*low-key sobbing in the corner*
ntalcenent chapter 1 . 12/21/2017
This is amazing. I've never thought Susan's actions could be considered this way. Thought-provokingly brilliant!
random-k chapter 1 . 8/7/2016
I love this Susan with purpose. I hate how she was treated in the last book, and this potrayl is so refreshing and free of bitterness.
dreamflower02 chapter 1 . 5/5/2016
I love this. I, too, have always believed that Susan remained in the world for a purpose, and led a long and happy life surrounded by her children and grandchildren.

Beautifully done.
The Fourth Monado chapter 1 . 4/14/2016
Congratulations. you have hit me right in the feels.
Spidey-phd chapter 1 . 1/19/2016