Reviews for Sabbatical March 1996
werewolfsfan chapter 1 . 7/22/2014
Very nuanced. I enjoyed this tale!
ccase13 chapter 1 . 12/5/2011
John just couldn't be interested in just his kids, he just has to be saving people from evil things.
Ashleigh Errow chapter 1 . 4/20/2011
You are a whiz at eliciting my sad yet hopeful emotion.
Zatnikatel chapter 1 . 12/29/2010
Hey you! I wanted to let you know I think this is a wonderful piece of writing. It's weird how so much of what we know of John really springs from his non-presence on Show and Sam and Dean's reactions to their memories of him and the kind of childhood they led. I don't think it can be easy to write something that presents John's faults honestly [and necessarily brutally] while understanding them and presenting his reasons without using them as excuses, but you've achieved that beautifully here. It's not something I would ever try, tbh.

I really like how it all flows and loops and fits together: the push-me-pull-you of John's desire to hunt and seek revenge with his need to be a father and protect his sons, and the same for his individual relationships with the brothers, and theirs with him and with each other. It's like a very intricate maze of feelings, wants and desires crashing up against their reality. Great writing! ;-)
JustOnePogostick chapter 1 . 12/10/2010
I think you've managed to capture the unique dynamic between and among the three Winchesters. Your story made me well up with emotion when Dean was begging for John to shoot him because he didn't want to burn up. I think the set up was clever and added weight and dimension to the scene because we all know that Dean's mother had died in a similar manner. I could feel how agonized John was feeling while I was reading this scene. I was also sick with emotion when Dean was questioning the physical therapist about what happens to people who have no one. I couldn't picture Dean putting up going to a nursing home. He would have killed himself. However, I don't think John would have been convinced to abandon Dean completely. He would have continued to hunt, but probably not as often. I really loved the contrast between Sam's happiness that John had stopped hunting in order to take care of Dean and Dean's sullness because of it. Overall, a wonderfully moving story.
Jill G. Lowrey chapter 1 . 11/12/2010
I'm working my way through your stories so you will see several reviews from me.

Loved this oneshot. Good character development and well written, though I am wondering if you have read the graphic novels. After reading the graphic novels I question a number of things from the show and wonder about Sam and John's relationship. I have read the first and the third one so far. I am excited to finally read the second one. That is the one where Dean learns to hunt.

That being said, reading the graphic novels also makes me wonder about stories that develop the childhood relationship between Dean and Sam and John. So in some ways this felt off for now, but maybe if I come back and read it after reading the second novel it might feel different. I'm not certain, I will be sure to read it again and review again though.

I would like to end this review with something I've noticed in your stories. You have this way of picking out this tragic truth/theme of the story and stating it in such an impactful way by either giving to a character and by putting that character in such an applicable moment. It is rather eerie.
sandymg chapter 1 . 11/11/2010
I know I'm biased, but I love this story. So visceral. When Dean asks John to shoot him at first ... so harsh yet true sounding. His fear of fire. And then later, in the hospital, Dean inquiring about what would happen if he were left alone.

Just heartwrenching and so true to canon.
CeCe Away chapter 1 . 10/31/2010
This was really good coming from John's viewpoint. He has always had a tough job as a hunter and father and you gave it justice.
Linnie McCary chapter 1 . 10/28/2010
Well done! I've never been a fan of John's, and your story didn't change that, but you did a great job of presenting him in a very sympathetic yet canon-realistic light. I thought you handled Sam especially well-I could really feel him growing more and more distant from and disgusted with his father while saying very little. Nice work!
Lamarquise chapter 1 . 10/28/2010
Just FYI, it doesn't make sense to put a neck brace on a kid if the problem is with the thoracic and not the cervical vertebrae. So unless there's some suspicion of cervical damage, they'd probably dispense with the neck brace after the imaging.

Otherwise, good story. The characterization seemed pretty spot-on.