Reviews for Tears of the Sun
Guest chapter 3 . 4/21/2014
I'm just going to throw it out there that in my opinion rangers are not on the same level as force recon. I think in u.s military force recon is second only to seals. Force recon would be M6.5
Ygrain33 chapter 10 . 7/11/2012
Read it all within a single round, negliging all I could just to finish this. Wow. It was breathtaking, and the epilogue was more than satisfactory. Cheers!

/sorry for not signing with the ff.n profile, login problems/
Lesatho chapter 10 . 1/16/2011
Awyeah. Finished it all in one sitting. Great story! A real shame about the lost members of a team, but it seems to really get invested into a bad situation like that you have to loose some good folks every now and then. I was just glad Doc survived since the medic always seems to bite it. Red too, he was a favorite.
Lesatho chapter 2 . 1/16/2011
Loving it so far, I'll probably devour this story by the end of the night as well and start work on the other's that you've written. I laughed at this line:

"Heavy risk, but the surpriseā€¦"

Niiiiiice.
swartzvald chapter 10 . 1/2/2011
an excelent story, haven't seen the movie so can't comment there. Really the only thing I can complain about is that 'New Africa' is kind of a boring name.

moving on to the sequal.
Grimlock3 chapter 10 . 1/2/2011
Interesting. There aren't that many good Ash-centered stories out there so this was a nice find. Haven't seen Tear of the Sun so the story was all new to me ;-)

I found myself wishing Enthra was just a normal Asari. That is after all what Ashley based her decision on. In a sense it's a get-out-jail card, or 'brig' in this case :) Ash's decision to let the chopper/shuttle turn back is understandable but she must have known her unit wasn't prepared (or trained) to escort such a large group to safety. That's what N6 (Rangers) is for. As a result several soldiers under her command died. I wonder how she'll handle that (I did read something about a sequel?)

I like Ash as a soldier and her stubbornness and persistence usually works well for her. She's a good squad leader in battle, but other tactical decisions, perhaps not so much. Turning that shuttle back was the easiest choice of the two, with the result in the future and not yet known.

I did like all the other soldier in Ash' team. Good to see she does know how to befriend aliens :) So yeah I did feel sorry for those who died (hence me griping above about Ash's decision). I did grin with Red when he listed what stuff he had packed in his 'bag of goodies', esp. when he detonated them.. must have been a highlight in his career ;-)

The attack on the village in the middle was done nicely and much more like how a proper operation for such a unit would be done. Much more went to plan too there which probably helped :) Red turning away from the nude Asari was fun. I do wonder if the baby made it, I suppose she did. Hopefully she'll forget everything she saw or heard.

Enough rambling from me, on to the sequel we go!
pepoluan chapter 1 . 11/21/2010
Not really a fans of Ashley, but Janizary's high praise of this story finally tickled my curiosity.

And all I can say is: Wow! It's amazing how you, in such short chapter, managed to portray the chaos of the theater, Ash's professionalism, Hackett's leadership... very well done!

I'll certainly be reading the next chapters :)

PS: Hey, Mikhailovich searching for 'proof' of the reapers? Wow, the possibilities... may I use that as inspiration for my next fic?
Loup de Mer chapter 10 . 11/11/2010
Okay, wow. I started reading this when I got back from class this afternoon and was actually unable to stop until I finished it. Loved it! Your action scenes, your characters, and your Ashley all reach deliciously critical levels of badass. Sequel, please.

Also: "Heavy risk, but the surpriseā€¦" Ahahahaha
jen4306 chapter 9 . 11/10/2010
Amazing. I have enjoyed each and every chapter of this story and I will be along for each and every chapter of the sequel.

Congratulations on a job VERY well done.

You made me care enough about your characters that when there were casualties, I felt them as acutely as Ashley did. It takes an excellent writer to make that happen.

Looking forward to more from you.
jen4306 chapter 6 . 11/10/2010
Once again, I am sincerely impressed with your ability to write a proper military scene.

I could picture with clarity the massacre scene at the mission camp and it really tears at the heartstrings. And I think you did a wonderful job in choosing Turians and Batarians to lead the attack, knowing how much they despise humans.

I like the references you make to Shepard, especially since you have truly made this Ashley's story. She misses and loves him, but she is her own woman, and I think that is quite admirable.
jen4306 chapter 5 . 11/10/2010
Excellent chapter. You seem to have an amazing grasp of action scenes. And I do not mean fighting; simply the proper way that a military would interact on a mission such as this.

I have now watched part of the movie Tears of the Sun and your story is a wonderful portrayal of it, though you have made the story uniquely your own.

I look forward to reading more!
Time-Phantom chapter 10 . 11/9/2010
I've been following this story for a while and I've got to say it's kicked loads of ass and I can't wait for the sequel.

I know what you mean about the Tali/Garrus stories that vary from good to very beyond words bad. I was thinking that when you might want to keep Shep and Ashley's reunion kind of bitter sweet up until the end. (because of all the other Ash/Shepard reunion fics that are all warm and nice)

Any way keep up the awsome work!
gpelous chapter 10 . 11/9/2010
really nice story man! Now I have to watch the movie again...

If there is a sequel, well, I'll follow it.

And again, nice piece!
Arkbird7 chapter 10 . 11/9/2010
Another Uber quick update! 2 in a day I think.

The Epilogue is good and basically puts things to your next story.

As I understand you'll do it after the "suicide" mission and since you mentioned, all upgrades and companion missions were done, it means that they'll all come back alive.

Your next story will have action... That's Ok and I don't mind it really, I just feel that since it will be AFTER Omega4 you can make a meeting between the two teams.

On a side note... Ash being poster-woman for the Alliance is a great achievement, with her familly issues with the alliance, it's good to know that at least some times justice is made (in stories and reality).

Oh and one more suggestion...

In the meeting between Shepard/Ash

Shepard could feel resentment towards Ash because of her being a bitch in Horizon. She could be angry and all but saying that he's a traitor...you get my idea...

Oh and towards the alliance, for using his name and then trying to completely hide all what he had done...

Just some ideas... how you play with their resentment that's your story.

Great Story, I loved it.

Hoping to see your next one.
Janizary chapter 9 . 11/9/2010
Loved it from beginning to end. Encore?