Reviews for Hic Sunt Dracones
NarusseRussandol chapter 2 . 1/10/2014
Great! PLEEEEASE finish this!
Guest chapter 2 . 11/7/2013
Please Please Please write more! This is such a great idea with so many possibilities for interesting cultural interactions. I love it.
DigitalSorceress chapter 2 . 7/26/2013
This is great, I hope you find inspiration to continue one day.
spedreder chapter 2 . 5/6/2012
This is facinating. I love the Horatio Hornblower books (and the movies that BBC made). Although it has been a long time, I would love it if you had an update. I can't wait until Hornblower actually meets Faramir.
Beloved Daughter chapter 2 . 8/26/2011
This sounds like an absolutely fascinating story. I love what you have written so far. It seems like it came right of out the Hornblower series. Though of course, maybe you should add some characteristic Hornblower clearing of the throats! :)

I really hope you update this story soon as it's way too awesome of a premise to leave alone!
Seo Hwite Hlaefdige chapter 2 . 3/21/2011
I just realized I wasn't logged in when I reviewed this chapter. But that last reviewer, the unsigned one without any name, that's me.

Oops.
Guest chapter 2 . 3/21/2011
This review is a little late, sorry about that.

As a linguist, a Man of Gondor speaking English kills me just a little. The Lord of the Rings was written on the pretence that the language the characters were actually speaking was merely translated to English. But since this is Forester's dream, I can take it. Plus to change that would change your story completely, and I don't want that.

Other than that, all that you're missing is Hornblower's ceaseless self-doubt and worry. Like, for example, would he tell his officers "You need someone who can speak Spanish," it sounds like an excuse as to why he's getting in the jolly boat. I don't doubt Hornblower would think it, but I don't think he would have said it out loud. He's always so concerned with behaving in a way he thinks an officer and a captain should behave. Explaining himself kind of undermines his orders... oh, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. But Hornblower definitely does silence people when they cheer for him (rather than just ignoring them), because of course he never thinks the things he does deserve to be cheered.

I know, I know, I'm nitpicking over trivialities, but it's that or gush over how much I loved this chapter, because the only things wrong with it were trivial and I'm more comfortable nitpicking. But so you don't get the wrong idea:

This is amazing! I know it's only the beginning of the story, but I love how you're going about it; picking up a galley slave, mistaking him for a Spaniard, and then for an English soldier (I can already picture him capturing the fleet of Umbar). I just love the realistic misunderstanding. And I love how you know how to use nautical terms. And I love the way you're writing. It's not quite C.S. Forester, but it's not far. And I love Hornblower. And, can you tell I love your story?

Please keep going!
Seo Hwite Hlaefdige chapter 1 . 2/15/2011
How is it possible that you only have six reviews? This is brilliant, really, a light shining out into fanfiction. Hornblower and lotr... I used to have dreams about this crossover. My favourite books put together. And on top of that you're writing is good! Could this be any better?

I'm sorry, my reviewing skills are deficient. I don't seem able to express even a fraction of how excited I am at finding this story. Thank you, thank you, thank you for writing this.
mthespinner chapter 2 . 2/12/2011
Please miss, I want some more.

Very good.
lindahoyland chapter 2 . 2/4/2011
A fascinating have me interested.
Barbarossa Rotbart chapter 2 . 1/29/2011
Interesting idea. And a very interesting beginning. It seems that Forester has weird dream after reading some chapters of Tolkien's yet incomplete novel.

There is one problem. If they are now on the Anduin they should have passed Pelargir which has not been given up and is still settled. And there is only one place they could sail northwards between Minas Tirith and the Estruaries of the Anduin and that is thee last part of the river between Pelargir and Minas Tirith. Between the Estruaries and that point they should have sailed northeast.

But the rest of the story is interesting.
Nimloth9 chapter 2 . 12/7/2010
This is very interesting. I like both The Lord of the Rings and the Hornblower series too. Can't wait for more!
ss2gohan chapter 2 . 11/6/2010
Just rented a few of the episodes from the library today, and thought I'd see what fanfiction were out there for it.

I like this idea, most especially the conversation between the two writers in the beginning, very well done. I look forward to seeing what you do next.

Keep on keeping on!
5HourOpera chapter 2 . 11/1/2010
You are an excellent writer, and this is an interesting idea. Please, post more soon.

-Opera