Reviews for Stregoni Benefici
neelix lee chapter 30 . 1/9
Jessica314 chapter 4 . 10/21/2021
I read this months ago and thought I reviewed? weird

Love the imagery of the rain and how Aro ponders the larger patterns he has come to see as the centuries come and go. I think I have similar imagery somewhere-how he had once thought of the march of time as a rising flood but now it is no more than an ebbing tide washing in rhythm against his toes. It makes me wonder how much harder it might be for an ancient vampire to switch to the veggie way, when they've come to see humanity as such a small, transient thing.

I've always wondered if whoever does the cleaning in Volterra has ever had to dust cobwebs off of Marcus.

and again SAME HAT! The headcanon that in the centuries following Marcus's little stunt, they had a shrine to St. Marcus for the very purpose of attracting delicious pilgrims. Love when our headcanons match up :)

Nooooo I love Carlisle wearing a cloak while he lives in Volterra! And of course this is so much better, his using it as a home base to visit FAR afield. And Carlisle seems happy to bring the record of his thoughts and everything he has seen as a gift for Aro every time he returns.

You've really captured the mutual respect and curiosity between Aro and Carlisle... as well as the slow souring of it and the feeling that something will have to change soon. I wonder if Aro used that "Young One" name because he knows Carlisle is listening? Or just coincidence?
Jessica314 chapter 3 . 7/27/2021
Carlisle's down-to-earth contentment feels so simple and wholesome here. The strain of muscle, the relief at the warm sunlight, the quiet pride of making something sturdy with his own hands... despite all the lack between him and his father, he seems to have built himself a strong foundation for the trials ahead. Love his insight about how he somehow seems to find more comfort in their faith and in their little church than his father does. Even at this point, I wonder if he can look past his own hurt and pity his father.

Carlisle had a friend named Thomas in Tale of Years too! I'm curious why he said that it was obvious the Reverend wasn't home-is Carlisle not allowed to hum while he works, even a hymn? Or just Carlisle's general state of contentment?

Of course William saw the Great Fire as judgment against *something*. I'm glad you slipped into his POV for a bit. As much as I dislike him as a character, it's still important to find those tender spots and see what good things he might still hope for... even it's as simple as a legacy and a grandchild or two. Seeing Carlisle through his eyes is really intriguing. It makes me wonder what his marriage with Sarah would have been like if she had lived—whether he would have been much different.
Zeerdart chapter 30 . 7/8/2021
I love this so much thank you fôr writing it 3
Jessica314 chapter 2 . 4/12/2021
Poor Carlisle... I know it means the world to him when he's able to save someone that a human doctor wouldn't have been able to, but the pain at the inverse must be something awful. To stand there and NOT be able to intervene when a human doctor would be able to, just because of something as innocent as sunlight. That's even worse than sitting at home for his "sleep" time during a pandemic, wondering if a life or two might have been spared had he stayed for just one more shift.

This insidious "loss of control" is an interesting symptom, and totally realistic. Depression isn't just about human neurotransmitters, you know? I can't imagine the weight of those years of loneliness, especially when he *does* occasionally make a sorta-friend like the chess buddy or Dorothy. But he's not so far gone that he can't rein himself in, if only for the good of the lives he might save (and thank goodness for those lives, because they very well may have saved his).

Anyway, I love the dissonant imagery of his doing modern medical paperwork by candlelight. Great details about how he had to train himself to switch lights on and off for a different reason than his human peers did... and bringing the "undiscovered Hassam" to life was such a neat idea!

Aw. When Dorothy assumed he just doesn't like people... I felt that. He would give anything to be able to be as sociable and friendly as his heart aches to be, especially when he's with a respected colleague. To be understood by all and maybe even loved by a few :(

This headcanon is so SAD, that he still half-heartedly attempts suicide now and then when new methods become available. Oof. Makes me wonder if he ever came close to trying to "provoke" the Volturi when he was with him, as Edward was certainly familiar with that method later on.

And now he's going to have to face a whole new load of suffering and death now that the second deadly wave of the Spanish flu has begun. Hang in there, Carlisle, something good will come out of it all!

OK, I'm ready to plunge back into the 17th century next time (of course I peeked). Thank you for a lovely, heartbreaking chapter.
Jessica314 chapter 1 . 2/16/2021
I'm so glad to finally begin this story! I don't know why I put it off for so long-I thi k back when I first went through some of your fics you seemed to be absent, so I probably lost it in my TBR. I'm looking forward to Carlisle's journey and also to the historical context goodies along the way. I think reading (and writing) fanfiction is my favorite way to learn new tidbits about real history.

William baptizing Carlisle with the cold, bloodied water from Sarah's disastrous childbed :( I love it. And William is such an interesting character. I love to be mad at him-real nice throwing away the name your late wife *wanted*, sir-but there's a nugget of good intentions in there, at least for now. I like the irony that in throwing the name away he actually made Carlisle's existence even more of a painful reminder of the love he lost.

Looking forward to more! I'm a slow binger—I like to take my time and review thoughtfully but also bc I follow way too many fics. But I'll be here, slow and steady, and I look forward to chatting with you about it all. Good start!
LiveLaughLove728 chapter 30 . 7/10/2020
This was absolutely amazing! I’ve never given much thought to Carlisle before but reading this has thoroughly changed that. Thank you for writing such a beautiful, thought-provoking story!
Eva chapter 30 . 6/14/2020
You created a beautiful story, thank you.
megcliff chapter 30 . 6/1/2020
Just devoured this in a few hours. Your writing is superb. Thanks for giving us this brilliant work of fiction!
BellaTesoro chapter 2 . 12/27/2019
Carlisle seems very depressed. The visual of him placing his hand over the candle fire said much about where his emotions are. I'm curious what will happen next.
BellaTesoro chapter 1 . 12/27/2019
I heard this was a wonderful Carlisle story. I look forward to reading it. So far this first chapter seems rich in details and intensity and not pure fluff. I welcome that.
FlamingMaple chapter 24 . 12/17/2019
“And even without a little stick horse, perhaps she could see to it that he went galloping off somewhere...”

Pardon me while I go snot-sob into my coffee...
FlamingMaple chapter 23 . 12/16/2019
Sobs...
FlamingMaple chapter 22 . 12/16/2019
I love the way you weave so many texts and insights together so effortlessly (or you make it seem so).

Even Aro can learn something.
FlamingMaple chapter 17 . 12/16/2019