Reviews for The Raven
Brother Mirtillo chapter 1 . 10/21/2012
[stares at computer screen] What… sniff…
I haven’t looked around this site much for spinoffs of this poem. I do know of one. It was for Teen Titans, and in hindsight, some of the lines feel a bit forced, and the ending, though emotionally gratifying, didn’t really match the source material’s mood.
This one isn’t like that one. On any of those counts.
Superficially, the rhyming was superb. A wide palette of “ore” words, some nice A/A A/-ore couplets to keep the rhythm going, and the occasional but reasonably-stretched poetic license to show you’re thinking about the message at least as much as the rhymes. Appropriately, V got the vast array of words xe deserves. Some of them held enough of a mocking and joking connotation to bring out the smiles I so often associate with this webcomic.
But those words and rhythm only made the crash worse. From impatience, to frustration, to inquisitiveness, to familiar but friendly annoyance, and then… then the final, yet painfully-precedented falling apart. Perhaps some of the lines came straight from the original poem, I don’t know. Nor do I care - you chose the last one well regardless. I didn’t quite understand the second half of the second to last stanza the first time I read it. Now I do.
This is where I snap my fingers for you. I’m fairly sure that’s what folks do when a poem moves them.
GhastDream chapter 1 . 12/14/2010