Reviews for Different as Night and Day
eoraptor chapter 1 . 4/20/2013
an excellent, if depressing read
Historian1912 chapter 1 . 12/26/2011
I wouldn't exactly call Gosalyn evil here even with what she's done here. She comes across more as desperate, someone who wants good to always win, but the bad guys just keep coming back. After a while, it looks like the girl became far to cynical for her own good. Had she stayed with Darkwing and not left for Duckberg she would probably be just fine. It must have been so easy to rationalize everything under "they deserved it" that she probably never realized just what she was becoming. This doesn't excuse it, but it might explain why Darkwing didn't notice anything before Gos went off the deep end.

Sincerely,

Historian1912
Mengsk chapter 1 . 3/27/2011
Finally someone took advantage of this potential plot! I love you!

Making vanilla Gosalyn the villain even better. In the great guessing game of which one will it be I did pick the original. Because it's what I (and everyone else it seems going by reviews) would have done. Otherwise you covered your tracks darn well throughout the set up phase. No way to discern which it would be that I could tell. I even believed Friendly Five refered to Darkwing.

The justification was always going to be the test. People are going to want to know why. I might have tried this myself years ago if I had a good answer to why. You have a good answer to why. I like where your head is at. I never considered the overzealous vigilante angle. It's perfect! She even thinks she doing good. I wonder if breaking the legs of jaywalkers is taking it too far. More psychotic than rogue. I wonder how you see her. Is she Batman, he hurts people badly? Hit-girl of Kick-Ass fame, crushing drug dealers with a car wrecker? Or is this full break with reality - DarkWarrior Duck insane?

I was disappointed Darkwing left it to the Five. This was his responsibility. You fell over and lost your nerve avoiding that heartbreakingly tradgic - freakin' awesome fight.
Sailor Pandabear chapter 1 . 3/26/2011
wow. twisted and shocking
ckret2 chapter 1 . 1/8/2011
I meant to read this just long enough to find out whether it was Gos or NegaGos who went bad. (My guess was Gos, but you had me going for a while.)

I kept on reading.

This is a brilliantly written piece. You've captured Darkwing's voice perfectly-his ego, his self-congratulatory interjections, his little third-person side-comments, even his alliteration-basically, his entire narration style. The story also feels like something that could really happen in the show. In particular, I could imagine the entire battle sequence, start to finish, like a scene from an episode. And the idea behind it fits canon well: although usually a strict "good/evil" dichotomy to be simplistic in most stories and would see Gos here as an anti-hero with extremist methods, the show itself DOESN'T really have such shade of gray distinctions, and Gosalyn's actions WOULD get the evil label.

While it's canon-compatible, you also really expand on the world, bringing in a bit of "real world" logic. Although you didn't show the process Gosalyn went through to turn into this character, the end result is sound, and something that makes total sense based on where she's started out. (And even the lack of explanation works well in the story; it makes Darkwing's bewilderment all the more sympathetic as he tries to figure out how in the heck this happened.) The brief examination of what all Darkwing had to give up for his crime-fighting was a poignant analysis of themes that appear on and off in the show itself, and highlighting them was very effective. And yet, even with all you've thrown in-and quite a dark bunch of concepts it is-it never strays from territory that could work in the show.

You did a great job of picking up on, examining, and expanding on so many ideas that are only undertones in the show or never even mentioned (how much of his family's and friends' lives is Darkwing missing out on? What's the point of locking up criminals who are back in an instant? What's the line between "too much" and "not enough"?) and you still manage to capture the characters, the tone of the show, and (possibly the most important part) the spirit of the father/daughter relationship.

All in all, a wonderful fic.
Yvi-sama chapter 1 . 12/8/2010
Nice work.

I figured it was his Gosalyn from the start (even if his narration had me on the edge of second guessing a few times).

The scene at the end was really hard, because you made it easy to get inside his dilemma.
Cheezey chapter 1 . 11/9/2010
This was excellent! In regards to what you asked in your note, I actually thought it was normal-verse Gos at first, but then I wondered if it was the Negaverse Gosalyn. Kudos to you for keeping the reader guessing!

I was glad when it turned out to be Darkwing's Gosalyn, though, since that seems more realistic and she does have that potential for darkness. I also like your concept of Nega-Gos as her hero persona, and the mention of Darkwarrior Duck. Even before you mentioned it, I wondered if that "turning point" that Darkwing didn't know about was that, if even as horrified as she was by Darkwarrior at the time hadn't left something in the back of her mind.

I really enjoyed this story and hope you consider writing more Darkwing Duck fics in the future. *faves*
RoseofSharon7 chapter 1 . 11/6/2010
Hmm, looks like you're getting some mixed reviews here. I meant to add my two cents a little earlier, but I guess it's starting to become a habit for me to read a story a day after it's posted then review a few days after that. But I digress...

I like that you exploited this little inconsistency in the show. I personally have a slightly different opinion on the reasons behind it, but it's never explained in the series, so hey, we all have a creative license here, right? I enjoyed your writing style here; you did a great job of showing DW's turmoil. He was very much in character, as were the Friendly Four. I also enjoyed the fact that you had NegaGos take down Gosalyn, just as we so often see DW take down his Negaverse counterpart. You did a great job keeping the balance there.

The thing I really think could have been done a little better was Gosalyn's turning. The reasons you gave needed a little bit more building up to, which I understand you tried to cover by DW just not following what was happening in Duckburg, but in so doing, you kind of made those reasons a little harder to reconcile with the Gosalyn we know. Just a drastic change from the precocious nine year old needed a little bit more history to it.

Aside from that though, I really feel you did a good job with this one-shot. It can be hard to write such emotional pieces and you rose to the task quite admirably. I sincerely hope that this in fact won't be your last DW piece, because you definitely have a firm grasp of the characters and a remarkable talent with the pen (well, computer anyway.) Keep up the good work!
Celeste38 chapter 1 . 11/2/2010
To be honest, I suspected nearly right away that regular Gos would wind up being the messed up one...because out of the two of them (despite who raised who), I always imagined NegaGos remaining a good guy-and always thought normal Gosalyn's wild nature could possibly lead her down a meaner path (only if she had a falling out with Darkwing though-I never considered something like what you did in this story).

I think what you did here was pretty awesome!
Scyphi chapter 1 . 11/2/2010
You're going to hate me for this, but I figured it out it'd be PosiGos almost instantly, before I had even really started reading the actual fanfic (was still reading the author's note at the beginning).

To be honest, for it to have been NegaGos would've been too obvious. For some reason, that's what you expect of her, for her to be the one to suddenly turn bad. As a result, the impact of that sudden change is very easily lost, just simply and completely. Making it be PosiGos bears much more weight and impact. You can actually feel the same loss the characters feel that way. So I just sort of expected it, and probably would've been disappointed if it was any other way.

So, in short, you did not disappoint. :)

It's a decently written fanfic, and the fact that it takes place entirely through DW's POV adds to the impact, although sometimes his ego would kick in at the wrong times and would partially ruin the moment (but not entirely, it was always quickly salvaged).

My only real complaints is the fact that PosiGos's logic for her actions seems weak, and full of so obvious holes that I can't take it one hundred percent seriously. One could partly attribute this to the fact that she's so far gone that she just can't see the obvious anymore, which is definitely not beyond the realm of reality. But I personally think it would've borne even more impact for the reader if even they could see that whatever rationalizations were made to justify her actions would be hard to deny. Here, in this fanfic, that isn't quite managed (at least for me).

My only other complaint is that I found NegaGos and her new crime-fighting alter-ego corny and hard to take seriously, but you were obviously working to maintain canon, so I can let it slide. :)
acosta perez jose ramiro chapter 1 . 11/2/2010
Whoa... impressive. Great job on the dialogues, plot and fight scenes.

Keep the good writing.
MysticIris chapter 1 . 11/1/2010
I really enjoyed this story. It was very well written and it's nice to read a story involving Negaverse characters.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that normalverse Gosalyn is more likely to go bad than Negaverse Gosalyn. The story did a really good job of portraying the pain that Darkwing would go through if his Gosalyn ever did turn evil. I actually wish this was a multi-chapter fic, but it is a good one-shot nonetheless.

I'm sorry to read that you don't think you'll ever do any more Darkwing fiction. You've done a great job with this first one and I'd be interested in reading more of your work for this genre.
Malarity chapter 1 . 11/1/2010
When I first read the description I immediately figured it was going to be Gos who was evil, but then the beginning made me go "No, wait... maybe it is NegaGos..." and then "Oh! Nevermind". I'm actually glad you took this path, because it's a very interesting concept, seeing Gos become the more corrupt of the two.

I think at this point in time she could still be labeled as a brutal "anti-hero" like the ones from comics who aren't afraid to hardcore slaughter the crooks. Which makes sense, because Gos doesn't strike me as someone who would take pleasure in hurting the innocent, and would be more likely to become blinded by a different idea of justice.

Also, I really liked the design and superhero alias you came up with for NegaGos! Especially the ribbons. I think it suits her perfectly.

Anyway, this story was really sad but I still enjoyed it. I don't think Gos could truly hate Darkwing, but I could see her being so angry at him that she'd say it. She's developed her own idea of how to handle crime that is less er... family friendly, and the more ethical heroes just aren't down with it.