Reviews for Braid
anjumstar chapter 1 . 11/20/2014
I'm going through an absolutely ridiculous phase of reading all of the Pokemon creepypastas on the creepypasta website, and I came across this one. I started reading it, very intrigued by the good writing and various voices. I soon realized why the story was called 'Braid' and became even more enraptured by the cleverness and how the story would ultimately come together. It didn't disappoint! I wouldn't exactly call it a creepypasta necessarily, but it was a super cool story! I love Celebi and legendary myths in general and this one was very well-woven. Kudos!
Okami No Yume chapter 1 . 10/8/2014
I...wow.

I loved this. Loved it, loved it, loved it. This is a take on Celebi that I've never seen before, and I've gotta say, my mind is blown. I also loved the origin story you've spun for Ilex Forest. This has a sort of dark folktale feel to it, and it most definitely sends chills up the spine.

My hat's off to you. Very well done. Color me impressed.
Scorching Streaks of Paint chapter 1 . 9/6/2014
Whoa... AWESOME!
Pizzadone chapter 1 . 2/2/2014
That was amazing, but I am now thoroughly terrified...
Kallios the Scholar chapter 1 . 9/2/2013
This. Is. Amazing.

I just got my HeartGold game and haven't even beat the first gym yet but OH MY GOD I think I'm terrified of Ilex Forest now. I don't want to make my little pixelated character go in there. I don't wanna. He'll get turned into a tree and I'll have to restart the game and oh heavens I think I'm being irrational.

Celebi scares me now. I will never look at the little green time pixie in the same way ever again.

BUT ASIDE FROM THAT... I like the formatting you chose, of telling two different stories at once with the Rules serving as good "introductions" to each new segment. I'd never be able to pull this off myself, but you made it very understandable and easy to read.
Shadowr2d2kirby chapter 1 . 8/1/2013
WHY WOULD YOU MAKE ME THINK DIFFERENTLY OF CELEBI!?
Okay, look. I'm not denying this is written well. The spelling and grammar is fantastic, actually. what I hate is the fact that you made Celebi some evil witch creature that turns people into trees so that they're stuck like that forever. This is not what I consider a good premise for a Pokémon fanfic.
This rage is due to my personal like for Celebi, and the realistic equivalent of what Celebi is.
Blue-Klowd chapter 1 . 7/4/2013
Wow. This was amazing. Very creepy. I had to go get my blanket because I literally got chills. It was awesome! Love it!
Bhel-Elryss chapter 1 . 3/12/2012
Okay, that was really creepy. Lovely, but creepy.
Omega the Omniscient chapter 1 . 8/12/2011
You exhibit an extraordinary ability to capture hopelessness and draw out futility. It is an excellent skill for an author to posses. 8)
Tanon chapter 1 . 5/10/2011
Phew. Solid story. I like your nine rules... and you ended the story really well. Interesting to see a fic written in 2nd person...

Not much criticism, except the Farfetch'd excuse seems a little...well... far fetched. Seriously, any 'boss' should know if his pokemon are obedient or not... and even if he doesn't, why would a pokemon run into that forest? Meh.

9/10
shamrob42 chapter 1 . 4/8/2011
What can i say...you have come up with a superbly executed twist on one of the cute pixies of the Pokemon world.

The second person narrative was used beautifully, creating a divine yet sympathetic feel to the ghostly murmur that goes unheard to the victim. The 3 part narrative would have been tricky for most to pull off, but your story progressed fluently, and had the added bonus of carrying a strong sense of foreboding. And how the two main stories blended...well done. Well done!

The imagery greatly added to the sinister, ethereal atmosphere, and the last line was perfectly chosen. All in all, a terrific one-shot. I look forward to reading more of your works in the future!

-SR42
Scholar of Emeralds chapter 1 . 3/14/2011
Wow! Eerie, yet enchanting at the same time...like poetry. I truly did enjoy this little piece of literature, and I'm deeply surprised that it has only received two reviews. I mean, really? Only two? I mean, jeez! You might not be Shakespeare, but this story is definitely a favorite of mine. You told the origin of Ilex Forest without over doing it, plus you managed to caused several shivers for me.

My penname might be Emerald Celebi, and I might love the fascinating Grass-type, but this story has officially made me look at that tiny legendary twice. Shoot, should I consider changing my identity and avatar? Plus, in my story my OCs will soon be going through Ilex Forest, so should I just turn them all into trees?

Hope not! To close this review, I truly hope to see similar one-shots from you in the future, and hopefully in second person like this one. Thank you so much for creating a wonderful horror/fantasy tale.
VocalDissonance chapter 1 . 2/14/2011
I... freaking LOVED it. I'm actually not a big fan of horror stories, but this was so amazing and original. Your writing style remains simple yet elegant at the same time. I'd like to have your talent. ;) But anyway, this is the best thing I've read in a long time. ('Cuz most Pokemon stories are about OC's anyway. It's nice to go back to the basics once in a while, y'know?)
Stolloss chapter 1 . 11/4/2010
That was very well done. The rules were presented without spoiling the plot, but instead building anticipation for it. That twist at the end was especially nice, but more on that later.

The story was very clean. The only distraction was a single error in one of the italicized sections. I had almost passed it before I noticed anything was wrong, so it was very minor. Other than that, the reading flowed very smoothly.

I would like to say that this is the best horror story I have seen in all my time here. The initial tone was light, but laced with something ominous. The means by which the main character arrived at his (or her, it wasn't very clear, but the tone feels like a guy to me) end was very logical, as was the way the curse came about. This made the story all the more gripping for me, because it felt much more real.

The sections were logically laid out and easy to identify once they had all shown up. I'm rather interested in finding out who was reciting the rules, but it's probably an omniscient narrator with nobody behind it.

The back story was very interesting. I was able to predict some of it, such as the "witch" being Celebi, but I had no idea the end would be like that. I won't be able to pass through those woods again for some time without getting goose bumps. One would expect Celebi to be less cruel, but she is the embodiment of the forests, not humans.

The main story was even better. Combined with the flow of the two other sections, the rules and the reason, it was very strong, culminating in a strong sense of horror. That is what makes it the best story I have ever read - it was a full story, but also fully horror and suspense, a good balance.

Back to what I said earlier, Celebi is now a much more ominous figure. Her strong regard for plant life, valuing it over human life, is disturbing. Even more disturbing is the narrator's assurance that Celebi is always with you. Initially, I thought it was supposed to be a comfort, but I now I see it as a warning. Chilling.

I have nothing for this story but praise. An excellent idea, good characters, almost flawless execution - great job. I enjoyed it very much.

If the formatting is messed up, I apologize. I typed this up in a separate application, and it butchered it when I copied it over.