Reviews for The Lost Civilization
Zakeraz chapter 53 . 5/20
Feels good making it to the end of this story. What a delight it's been reading through your work. These last chapters have been great. The battles are wonderfully detailed and all the antagonists met such cathartic demises. The comeuppance was glorious, especially Puggles! Props to at least doing service to his talent as a warrior by letting him wound Alatreon. Interesting choice for Levin and Ellie to never realize he was responsible for Ellie's Barroth scar. Although, by the end, that was the least of his crimes.
One of the things impressive about this story is how your characters aren't indestructible. They've received injuries that took time to heal, and in the case of this finale, injuries that didn't heal. I bet that's the reason I've so often feared for their survival despite none of the protags actually dying. But geez, you really threw them through the wringer at the end. Poor Levin, only surviving at the cost of an arm and a leg. I don't want to imagine him and Ellie looking hideous with all their scars but... Speaking of which, Farren seems to be the only one who escaped his comeuppance. You've made him quite a complex character, with Levin getting two good assets out of the horrible things Farren did to him. Despite Farren inadvertently doing some good, I still want to STRANGLE HIM! With Levin's dark steel arm. But that can wait for the sequel. Looking forward to starting that by the way, but I'm currently working my way through the DLC and quite enjoying it so far.
Does that offer to join you for monster hunts extend to Generations today? It'll be a while before I get to the latest chapter to see for myself.
Funny you should bring Dekirn back. I had been expecting him to make a reappearance for a good chunk of the story. Nice to see him finally make his return. As for another recurring character, I think your lanternless Gobul has joined NCHProductions' tailless Rathalos in the club of endearing monsters that just can't catch a break.
Thanks again for the story. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have to offer.
Zakeraz chapter 46 . 5/14
These fight scenes are exquisite and beautifully detailed. One of my marks for great battle writing is when i can not only see the action but hear it as well. Your descriptions provide a full sensory experience magnificently.
Zakeraz chapter 42 . 5/13
Oh what the fuck? Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK? This story is more adventure and tragedy than humor. Levin is going to die in Ellie's arms when they're finally reunited, isn't he? I don't see what potential this story has for a happy ending at this point. How many other readers have gone over the despair event horizon at this point?
Zakeraz chapter 41 . 5/13
Are Felicia and Rowan recurring characters? The guard that recognized them seems to imply that I should recognize them too, but I don't recall them appearing anywhere else in the story.
Zakeraz chapter 38 . 5/13
Oh my god this got dark. Poor Nat. This entire arena needs to burn along with all of its patrons and staff. With all the recoverable injuries the characters have had up to this point, I didn't think you were going to do such severe damage to someone like that.
Zakeraz chapter 37 . 5/12
And the school of hard knocks keeps on rolling. Our poor heroes, always in the wrong place at the wrong time and we just know they're heading for more trouble and more good deeds to be punished. I don't think this story needs another antagonist in Silas; there just isn't room for him given how many this story already has.

I was glad to see some touches of humor in these last two chapters. If this story is going to be in the humor genre, it needs to have more of that. It also could use the humor to relieve some of the tension the story keeps building.
Zakeraz chapter 33 . 5/11
Well shit, talk about a wham episode. I thought the Alatreon's 2IC wasn't the giant Rathian since it boasted about how she didn't need much persuasion to join his cause, but he did have to use the whistling mind control on the Rath.

One thing that hinders Levin and Ellie as characters is their motivations don't have much weight to them. They're both concerned with finding their families through different methods, which would have weight if we actually knew anything about them. As it is, it's hard to care about the fates of these nameless, faceless families. You have the perfect framing device to give us some info about them through the vivid dreams the two of them are having. You could also use the flashback dream like you did for Zhanin and Salem. Alternatively, just have them tell stories about their families; storytelling has been such a strong recurring motif in the... story, that doing so wouldn't be out of place.
Zakeraz chapter 32 . 5/10
The detail in these hunt scenes make them quite engaging. Well done on those. Oh man, poor Zhanin. You made a tragic backstory for the devil that's just as sympathetic as I was hoping it would be. It's like the opposite of Winry Rockbell's parents from Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Feels bad, man.
Zakeraz chapter 30 . 5/9
How did I forget to mention Lynn in my review of side characters? At first I thought her exaggerated accent was some sort of racial stereotype until it clicked that her accent was based on the fan favorite Jaegermonsters from Girl Genius. She has a good backstory and current plot with her little Lost boy.
Zakeraz chapter 28 . 5/8
The numerous villains and antagonists is resulting in uneven screentime and development. The Alatreon is certainly the most dangerous with its ability to mess with the heads of people and monsters alike. He could use some foreshadowing as to why he's so interested in Levin or whether or not he's tormenting others in a similar manner. That was quite creative giving those powers limitations during the huntathon and it was fun imagining his thought process when trying to wrangle the Qurupeco, Ludroth, Jaggis, and grazers. "Where the hell do you think you're going, you oversized chicken. Get back in there! No, stop attacking each other, you team killing fuck-tards! Ugh, can't believe I'm settling for herbivores but if that's what it takes... Amatsu better not get wind of this or I'll never hear the end of it."

This illegal gladiator guild (had a hunch they were working on an underground fighting ring) is off to a good start. Developments are coming at a good pace that's kept me quite apprehensive about them and fearful for the protag crew ever since the hunter's exam arc. Their menacing and shadowy nature and the hints of a coming heel face turn from Micah.

Puggy is the most despicable of the bunch and the one I most enjoy hating. For what he's done so far, I want to shove that Lance of his up his ass until it punctures a lung. His chapters with Noxramus have a problem though. The similarity of the nicknames Nox and Nax make it plausible that any instance of their name is a typo intended to be the other one. Context and the tone of their lines made it fairly easy to figure out the names were correct in most places. The one memorable exception was when the crew returned to Noi's mansion, explaining what happened. "Nox" was cursing Ellie and Levin for not doing their jobs as hunters, so I figure that was supposed to be Nax.

As for Zhanin, he gets the worst of the uneven screen time, with no significant actions on his resume so far. It's a pity since he has the potential to be the most interesting provided his motivations are complex and relatable, especially if he or someone he cared about were harmed by the arrival of the Lost. Here's hoping for him to get some development in the next arc.

One thing that impresses me about your story is that, despite the fact none of the characters have died yet, the tension still has me worrying, "Are the characters going to make it out of this?" instead of "How are the characters going to make it out of this?" That's probably because they've come so close to dying so many times at this point and partially why I'm so hooked into the story.
Zakeraz chapter 27 . 5/8
This story has been much too engaging to write reviews. That would force me to stop reading for a minute. Ellie and Levin have great chemistry together. Could do with a little less abuse from Ellie since Levin never reciprocates; I don't care for the double standard of female on male violence being comedy, but the way she does it only in jest and Levin takes it lightly helps tone the implications down. Seeing their relationship develop at a reasonable pace has been a pleasure. I've also had some fun imagining the whispers in Levin's head bicker about much more mundane things than what to do about the Alatreon. It's like his emotions from Inside Out decided to overuse the intercom.

I'm also quite liking their supporting cast of friendly hunters. Nat and Kim's current plight really worries me, which shows how much of a shining I've taken to them. At least Kerrigan and Harker are okay. Picturing them as Kerrigan from Starcraft and Cave Johnson has been amusing.
Zakeraz chapter 5 . 4/25
Can't review; don't want to stop reading. The characters are certainly engaging enough that I didn't want to put this down. Looking forward to seeing how the big hunt goes. As for typos, when Levin discusses the plan to go out to the crop field, "You see," should be "You'll see."
Zakeraz chapter 1 . 4/24
Nice work so far. I'm not quite hooked yet, but chapter 2 deserves a chance with the character introductions. Spotted two typos in this chapter. "The man's fists clenched into fists," the first fists should be changed to hands. There was also a part that said the story of the Alatreon never had any altercations. That should be alterations.
Adam Arashi chapter 28 . 10/28/2016
I hope you kill Pugnax. He deserves it.
Adam Arashi chapter 27 . 10/28/2016
I remember you commenting on how a lot of monster hunter fabrics had opinion characters, and i figured it was because in the game you can do overpowered things and such.