Reviews for A Matter Of Decorum
JeniDRalph chapter 4 . 5/31/2012
Yes. We all know that being "Severus Snape" is a VERY good thing.
JeniDRalph chapter 3 . 5/31/2012
VOMIT... hehehehe. I love your explanation of the house elves' need to serve. I do tend to cringe, however, when Severus uses the word "Mudblood" since he admonished former Headmaster Black's portrait not to use that word.
JeniDRalph chapter 2 . 5/31/2012
I love that he didn't recognize the emotion in her eyes... and it was controlled amusement. I guess he's not used to students reacting to his deductions and detentions with laughter. That would explain why he didn't see it for what it was.
JeniDRalph chapter 1 . 5/31/2012
The Weasleys' reactions crack me up. This is a wonderfully fun story. (I originally read it on the Exchange. I'm on a re-read here.)
excessivelyperky chapter 3 . 5/26/2012
Your final examination on the subject," his mouth gave a little curl, "will be at the Ministry Ball in May."

-Snicker. (it would be wrong of me to mention the phrase from MY FAIR LADY, "he oiled his way across the floor").

Hermione would have been better off if she'd ever read science fiction and realized what it was to adapt to an alien culture.

Snape is quite right; Hermione judges everything by either Gryffindor standards, but mostly from middle-class British standards, neither of which will get very far with Professor Snape (who has experience of poor underclass standards and Extremely Upperclass Pureblood standards). He does have a better idea of what Hermione is missing than almost all purebloods and most Muggleborn, though, due to his personal perspective.

(horrible thought-what if the Dursleys and the Grangers ever met? Aiee...)

Excellent chapter.
Delphi Psmith chapter 8 . 4/25/2012
Oh my...this was so immensely satisfying a story. Well done. Very well done indeed.

i"Antihistamines," she said, "I love you."/i

How nice the the Muggle world helps save the day!

iShe actually began to enjoy herself. Instead of anger at her opponents, a bubble of glee formed inside her and her smiles came more and more easily. They're just people, she thought. Sad, bitter people who just lost a war./i

I found this very touching, for some reason. Nicely phrased.

i"Deliver this note to Kingsley Shacklebolt. Quietly. And return with his response."/i

Oh the mystery! I am fully intrigued now...

iHermione fought to keep her voice steady for the next name, one that wasn't on the list she'd been given. It was hard, so hard, to put her hatred aside and do this. But if she didn't try, then they were doomed to fight this war all over again in another generation's time. "Bellatrix Lestrange."...On she went, interspersing the names of those on the other side who had died fighting..."In death all are equal."/i

It's rare that a fic makes me laugh out loud, and even rarer that one brings tears to my eyes, but this bit did, with its generosity of spirit and genuine greatness of heart. Kudos for this.

i"I gave you all the tools you needed to succeed in a game of corruption, and I knew very well what it might do to you if you played it...And instead of corruption, you played compassion and won the game for everyone." He took her hand and kissed the back of it. "You take my breath away."/i

I know just how he feels :)

i"Severus," Hermione said and raised her wand, turning it in an elegant curve. "Capilli comptus!"

His hair was ruffled by an invisible breeze, pushed away from his face and bound with a silver ribbon./i

Aaaaand here is where I squeee like a helpless fangirl, completely and totally :D

You've gone above and beyond the average fanfic here. This is a lovely re-imagining of the Pygmalion/My Fair Lady motif - you've used that as a springboard, but made it completely your own. Many many cheers, and my thanks for a lovely hour and a half read :)
Delphi Psmith chapter 7 . 4/25/2012
i"You mean he didn't tell you?"/i

Mischief definitely not managed...

iThat night, Hermione feverishly reworked her Arithmancy equations with her new data. When she saw the result, she nodded to herself, but felt nothing./i

iThe chest opened. He was buffeted with memories, feelings, images.../i

Oh, I love this! Gorgeous symbolism/analogy work.

i"Why should I hate the Head of Slytherin for being a Slytherin? That would be rather silly."/i

iSnape said, outwardly calm. Is this what I have taught her? To think so much like the worst kind of pureblood that she considers cold-blooded murder to be logical?/i

Ah, the teacher has taught too well? Nice twist!

iIt was then Snape realized he didn't want her to go to the ball, didn't want her to embroil herself in his affairs./i

*happy sigh*
Delphi Psmith chapter 6 . 4/25/2012
iThere is a bright flash as the ghost of Colin Creavey takes a photograph./i

Awwwww. Poor little kid...

i"That won't do at all." He leaned forward, a slight smile on his face. "When you get back to Hogwarts, this is what you must do..."/i

You sneaky bastard, you!

iThis wasn't a kiss in the midst of battle, fuelled by adrenaline and joy; it was soft and tender with a touch of possessiveness. And Hermione felt nothing./i

AH-HA! Good thing too, I'd have been very disappointed ;)

iRealizing she wouldn't get any sleep unless she resolved that question too, she set forth on a second set of equations.../i

This is SO cool, the idea that you can reduce emotions and relationships to mathematical equations. If anybody could do it it would be our Hermione, of course...I wonder if this is a new thing she's discovered? Will there be a publishable paper in this for her?

Again, so loving the way this is evolving...
Delphi Psmith chapter 5 . 4/25/2012
i"Five points from Gryffindor, Miss Granger, for sticking slavishly to the textbook."/i

I really like that he's pushing her beyond academics to a more intuitive and, well, intimate place, where she's actually internalizing/integrating what she's learning rather than just memorizing it.

iShe shrugged. "It can't hurt to ask."

"Ah, but it can," Snape said. "Your questions tell your enemies not only what you desire to know but what you know already."/i

i"After all, we wouldn't want to risk the virility of the Malfoy heres ex asse."/i

Yay! Am loving the way this is progressing (on both sides)!
Delphi Psmith chapter 4 . 4/25/2012
Wow. I am so drawn in by this, I can't even express how much! Really unusual and original. I'm so glad there's more the house-elf sub-plot! Lovely the way Hermione figured out how to connect with them (a little anthropology in with the Arithmancy?) On to the next chapter with great anticipation...
Delphi Psmith chapter 3 . 4/25/2012 is considered erotic to... fondle the hair of one's lover./i

Wait, is this going to be about Lucius after all LOL?

I love, love, LOVE the little course in elementary logic that he walks her through. You've put a lot of thought into the whole house-elf question and it's really intriguing.

i"And what makes you assume that English is their first language? The grammatical errors of house-elves are far too consistent across the board to be the result of stupidity."/i

VERY interesting point. (I know this is probably a side issue to the main plot, but it's so great when all aspects of the story are well thought out, even the secondary ones!)
TalesOfSpike chapter 9 . 4/25/2012
I love that Hermione is already exercising her reforming zeal. Severus really had nothing to worry about, did he? And Minerva deserves a slap on the wrist for jumping to conclusions. Oh and I loved Severus's response to Hermione's query as to why he wasn't giving Ron his own Death Glare in return.

Thanks for sharing all over again.
TalesOfSpike chapter 8 . 4/25/2012
I didn't review most of the chapters as I reviewed when I originally read it on the exchange, but on second reading I noticed a possible error, or it may simply be that for dramatic effect you chose to make Bellatrix the first of the DE dead. If not, then you might want to add both of the Barty/Bartemius Crouches to your list.

Rushing on to the all new epilogue.
Melissa72 chapter 9 . 4/14/2012
Good fic! I liked the progression of Snape's feelings towards her...gradual like.

The Idea was a bit rogue. It's one thing to mourn the dead but principles in and of themselves aren't good. Evil is still evil. But I liked Hermione's ideas about mixing more with other students. Bravo!

Fav part? The hair ties at the end. I didn't get it at first that the actual ties meant something...but I think the idea was sweet. Also liked when Severus leaned back to see his watch "27 minutes"...hehehe.

Thank you for sharing the gift of writing God gave you:)
Dimac99 chapter 9 . 3/19/2012
I absolutely adore this - fantastic plot, well executed. Also, Snape being gentlemanly and still Snape at the same time. Him not teasing Hermione about her crush and then feeling guilty that he's changing her were especially sweet to me.
173 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »