Reviews for Hidden in the Mountain
Virtuella chapter 1 . 11/4/2010
I think it was a very good idea to link the fruit to √čarnur's disappearance. The concept of the tree having its own obscure knowledge made sense to me. And I wouldn't worry about Gandalf's words, after all, they're only his theory, not certain knowledge.
Striderette9 chapter 1 . 11/4/2010
What a lovely story, Ellynn - Cairistiona gave me the recommendation. I love your inclusion of so many historical details about how the sapling, found a thousand years later by King Elessar and Gandalf, came to be there in the first place. A beautiful story of providence and destiny.
Mirach chapter 1 . 11/3/2010
You have written something really wonderful here! I have a deep love for trees, and I know Tolkien did too - in his stories, trees have an important role. And the story of the White Tree always touched me deeply with its connection to the line of kings, and the paralleles with Aragorn. (The first story I posted on this site was a poem about the White Tree...) It really makes much sense, to think that the fruit ripened in this time. The atmosphere in the story is really palpable, and I must feel worry and sedness for Earnur together with his Steward. But there is hope in the fruit, like there is hope in the continuation of the kingly line on the North. That's one of the things that I love in Tolkien's writings, and also in this story - that through the darkness, hope shines even brigter, and if there's no hope for the present, it can bring hope for future... Once more I must say - really beautiful story!