Reviews for The Etrian Odyssey 3 Travelogue
Thomas Harvey chapter 1 . 6/24
As a person who's read all 100 chapters, I can say that this is one of the longer fan fictions I've read so far. The fact that it goes through most of EO3 is actually something to be proud of.

However, due to the unfinished state of the story, there is buildup to something, but it never quite gets there. Questions like "What will happen between the surface and the Deep City," "Will the Abyssol God be destroyed," and "Are Julius and Alexis going to get together" are left unanswered, and ultimately bring the mood down.

And while some characters are memorable due to in-story actions (Julianna and Alexis being the more prominent examples), most of the characters end up dropping out of the spotlight due to the large roster of protagonists, and it's hard to keep track of who's who in-story.

Overall, despite the few (glaring) problems the story has, it still is worth checking it out as one of the longer Etrian Odyssey fanfics around. Just be warned that it hasn't updated in years, and that it isn't complete.
W0lfeDarke chapter 100 . 3/9
Very well done. I see that you have been inactive with this for quite awhile. I hope one day you will come to change that.
KireiYume chapter 14 . 12/27/2014
I've read this fanfic ever since I was a lurker and I absolutely love it! Midori and Rook are probably my favorites this far but I love the dynamic between Alexis and Jules. Love EO fics so much and this one is done so well with all the POV's.
Twinbell101 chapter 83 . 12/21/2013
Who the fudge is Eurydice? Like...seriously?
PrinceKat chapter 1 . 12/23/2012
The character development is so good, and I love how each character is slightly different.
Although I love this story a whole bunch, and really want you to continue it, I also know that there could be viable reasons why you stopped (lost motivation, writer's block, etc), and I wish to not place pressure on you.
mooman23 chapter 100 . 11/5/2012
Man Pure, I really enjoyed this series. Hoping that you will continue it eventually. I enjoy all of your characters perspective as they go down the labyrinth. Alexis is one of my favorite characters.
Twinbell101 chapter 100 . 8/26/2012
Wow, I honestly hope that you'll be getting around to the next chapters. And I love all of the different character developments.

Please write more soon! .
Kinda101 chapter 100 . 6/13/2012
Hi! Made an account so I could say how much I love this story. I like seeing all the different perspectives, makes it different from other stories. You haven't updated in a long time, and I understand that things might be busy on your end (I don't know, I'm only just a reader, ehehe) but I wanted to at least give you a heads up that someone out there still likes reading it!
Soshiru chapter 100 . 12/11/2011
Excellent chapter, as always. When are you gonna update this story next?
Phoenix Lord chapter 6 . 5/21/2011
In regards to chapter six: Do I really need to know what happened? Look on the bright side, Jules. In New Game, you'd be looting them faster than you can say those three words again.
BakaGrappler chapter 1 . 4/29/2011
This is...interesting. It's a nice experiment in writing styles, but it's already been done before. In a play called Love Letters or something close, where the entire show is two people reading their love correspondence over the course of decades even as they marry other people and have completely different lives.

In other words, it's like reading another person's mail without context for who is doing what. I can't get a sense of the characters and I cannot visualize them either, and a good author is one that causes you to see the actions that you are reading. If you cannot imagine who someone is, how are you suppose to care for them? How are you suppose to put some emotional investment into their well being and success?

Also, most of the people had a bit too much of a similar vocabulary and style of writing so the characters ended up blurring together quite a bit.

And also, this is a very dangerous writing style to use. There is "first person" perspective story telling, like the protagonist in Native Son, where everything is described through his eyes to overcome cultural and regional differences.

There is "third person" perspective, like the Aubrey/Maturnen series of books that hops from one character to another as required to accurately depict all the character's thoughts and actions in a scene so the reader gets a complete idea of what is happening.

...This is a "no person" perspective story, where we have no place, character, or time frame in which to experience the story. I have no idea how I am suppose to overcome that as a reader. I give you kudos for bravery and follow through, as well as imagination. I just can't see your positive parts inside this writing style.
JC chapter 85 . 4/16/2011
This is a nice story,but I like to see a Update on Morality chain,Pureauthor.
WithLove chapter 72 . 2/24/2011
Hello, Pureauthor, I happened upon this story just yesterday and I simply had to tell you that I really enjoyed reading your work. Normally I stray from stories that are formatted in any manner aside what one is likely to see from a typical research paper. In all honesty, you simply have the amazing capacity to flesh-out your characters despite the short spans that you allow yourself to have in these journal entries. Each entry give enough history/insight into the characters to make them "alive", and are obscure enough to allow the readers the ability to imagine the actions as they will.

The only fault I can find are the short chapters, but given the nature of you stories structure, it must be done.

Beyond that, I find your story excellent for three main reasons: 1. Characterization (as stated previously) 2. Staying true to - and manipulating - the original game effectively (plots are within the spirit of the game, while not going verbatim with quest/mission results and dialogue) 3. Proper use of English (Which is crucial to a story).

I look forward to the next chapter, and the (hopefully) many more to come.

With Love,

With_Love
anna142 chapter 61 . 1/29/2011
Oh no! Poor kitty, I hope they find it.
Dmitri Clements chapter 10 . 1/16/2011
Pureauthor, I have to say, this is one of the best etrian odyssey fanfics I've ever read. I've read through the first 10 chapters already, and while I haven't actually played EO3 yet (i HAVE played the first EO and I love it! started a new file recently, and want to buy the next two), this fantastic story gives me a great feel for what the game will be like. all of the characters have a lot of... well, character, and you can tell almost right off the bat that most, if not all, of these characters will grow and develop, or "flesh out," as the story progresses; that's a key component of any story.

I also think that making the entire story play out solely within the journals and diaries of the characters was a very nice touch. I don't see that very often, so it's definitely a breath of fresh air.

I am planning on righting an EO fanfiction of my own someday, and I wonder if you, like me, are creating a story using characters you actually played as in the game?

Anyways, this is a story that I look forward to reading more of. Seeing that there is a total of 57 chapters (at the time of this review; here's hoping there's more to come!) definitely gives me a lot to look forward to.

On a side note, I've seen that you have written fanfics about other games that are favorites of mine, such as megaman starforce and fire emblem: sacred stones. I look forward to reading those too, but I digress. Keep up the great work!