Reviews for Loyaulte Me Lie
LongLiveHumour chapter 1 . 6/26/2016
(If that was a reference to Kate Beaton's comic I will love you forever.)
Igenlode Wordsmith chapter 1 . 10/7/2015
This is terrific writing. You've got a Watson who is dogged and stubborn and brave even when he is utterly in pieces, still instinctively a doctor and a soldier (busy assessing and diagnosing himself and Holmes without conscious awareness); you've got a Holmes with that familiar ruthless edge who sets himself to play a part for the sake of expediency even when it costs them both. You've got a very real bond of trust between them - the first thing Watson notices is that Holmes' words are 'wrong' not because they hurt his feelings but because he is not accustomed to hear the other man in pain. And he understands and accepts at once the necessity of the insults, in a world where his own incapacity is a far greater distress to them both.

The characters are instantly recognisable not just as Holmes and Watson but as the Rathbone/Bruce Holmes and Watson - which is especially impressive as this is a role I would never have associated with Nigel Bruce's Watson. But it's clearly him: "Here now... no need. For insults"/"Sorry, old fellow. But they're the only thing you've responded to" is an absolutely classic exchange that is unmistakably in the voices of those two.
And the suggestion that these events are the *reason* for the incapacities of Bruce's aging Watson is heartbreaking... and explains entirely Holmes' continuing unswerving attachment to him.

Lestrade's voice also is instantly identifiable without descending into phonetic transcription - it's a real gift to be able to characterise dialogue so swiftly and completely.

The *way* the story is told is a brilliant piece of technique: just reading that opening scene is enough to set your own mind skittering wild in confusion, grasping at the passing threads of meaning (how badly is Watson injured? where is he? how much of what is inside his head is real, and what is happening to him?) The reader fights his way through into comprehension just as the character does, and hints of backstory gradually piece together without ever being spoonfed.
(The one element that did feel a little awkward from that perspective was Watson's mental question as to "why Holmes was chained and he was only bound with ropes", which isn't explained and seemed to me a plot device that was possibly better not drawn to the reader's attention!)

Oops - I've just spotted a typo: "he grunted throuch clenched teeth"

The whole description of Watson's confusion and pain works so well; we really feel his sense of achievement at even the tiniest regained mastery ("His brain obliged him with the tired idiom as if it were a gift, and it was, it was", "Find a goal and reach for it, no matter how much you didn't want to") and the relief of giving himself over to Holmes' direction, and the sheer blind upward struggle. "And then something caught him, held him, forced his fingers open. Took the picklocks away" - and in the childlike disappointment of the loss of that focus he doesn't even comprehend that he has done it; he has passed over his burden. He has won.

The imagery is just wonderful, both tangled and yet beautifully eloquent and clear: "The word hung in the air for a long time before his ears plucked it down to be heard. He let it tumble around inside his broken skull like the nattering of small birds until it startled him by turning upright and sensible again"/"his body flew apart, reassembling itself awry, like a watch unmade by a curious child and put back together in guilt-ridden haste"/"Warmth against his hand, wrapping around and entangling itself among his fingers" - and the happiness is as vivid as the pain. That ending is heartwarming without ever slipping into sentimentality ("to tell Holmes that his loyalty was well repaid... knowing he was home, and would always be home") and is so, so credible between the two characters. I can really hear Nigel Bruce in those last two paragraphs!

This really is an outstanding story (and from my glance at your other fics, not the only one, either).
Ranger752 chapter 1 . 5/19/2015
Oh man, that hits me right in the gut. I lovve the loyalty they both demonstrate here. Especially how Holmes responds to Lestrade and stating what he would do for Watson. Thanks for sharing.
Gaslight Saxophone chapter 1 . 1/17/2014
Oh my god. I am never, ever going to view those old Rathbone movies, or Nigel Bruce's Watson, the same way again.
cjnwriter chapter 1 . 5/30/2013
Very well written, and I loved the ending. :)
Guest chapter 1 . 12/12/2012
Have you ever thought of writing Holmes' POV to this? This has been by far my favourite fic for years and I'd love to see more.
WomanInGreen chapter 1 . 11/24/2012
I shared a link to Loyaulte me Lie at .com - as I thought it was so outstandingly well written and such a wonderful rendition of Rathbone/Bruce.

Maybe it's just because I am such a Basil/Holmes fan or maybe it's because Basil resembled the physical descriptions of the canonical Holmes so closely, but I tend to see whispers or more of Rathbone in many of your Sherlock fics. Is this intentional or no?
zealousfreak27 chapter 1 . 8/2/2012
Absolutely wonderful! You've impressed me!
animefreak2015 chapter 1 . 6/26/2012
wonderful. Missed this earlier, but absolutely, tenaciously, perfectly Rathbone and his Watson. (gak, cannot recall the actor's name and can't search for it from here ...) Thank you.
Mysterylover17 chapter 1 . 4/9/2011
Wow! Amazing story. So in character. Very very well written.
althea chapter 1 . 2/9/2011
Your writing is amazing. I very much enjoyed reading this and am now off to read more. I don't know why it has taken me so long to find these stories.
formerfanficcer chapter 1 . 12/21/2010
O_O Oh... that gave me the shivers.

This was engaging and well written, and I will *never* be able to watch those old Rathbone movies without this fic springing to mind. It was just that emotionally effective.

And I have to ask. Did that line re: the jam have anything to do with those "stupid Watson likes jam" comics? ;)
Cryptix chapter 1 . 12/16/2010
Asdjbff-

OMG.

This is amazing.

Suddenly I don't dislike Bruce's Watson anymore. If this is what lead to him being, well, generally incompetent... wow. Just wow.

Your imagery and description is positively breathtaking, the pacing is beautiful, and the emotions and sentiments involved... gah. Way to make a girl jealous, there.
deleted9 chapter 1 . 11/18/2010
Aww, this was so sweet. They really have been through a lot together...I doubt he'd leave him like that, no matter if he hit his head. Great story!
Hagstrom chapter 1 . 11/15/2010
I know you should be getting this a lot, but this was a fantastic piece! I'm loving the idea that Watson simply must get up and ignore all his physical misery and get the job done, because Holmes is asking him to, making him see the reality of their situation in very very harsh words (painful insults included)

But what was still better was Holmes reaction to Lestrade suggestion. IC and well written. Great job.