Reviews for Perfect Pitch
Cincoflex chapter 28 . 12/29/2017
Lovely Job!
I was tickled to recognize some of the chosen tunes and it was delightful to have Carter shine a bit in this one; he doesn't get much of an opportunity to show off his less explosive talents!

Great banter, lovely twists and a nice grounding in chorale music, so well done! Thanks for posting this!
Visage chapter 28 . 2/23/2017
This was an absolute delight to read! I very much enjoyed the adventure of the plot, with just enough silliness to make it feel like a real episode. (And being a music teacher myself, I was rather fond of the overall subject matter!). Your characters were spot on and you have a fantastic narrative voice! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!
Belphegor chapter 28 . 1/8/2017
I'm relishing the opportunity to review what might very well be my favourite story in the whole HH archive! (Sorry, this got long. I do go on, I know.)

It reads exactly like an episode, with ups, downs, tension, surprises at every turn, and a happy ending. The characterisation is flawless, and the canon characters all get their time to shine, including canon extra Morrison, who you get to develop and get his own worries and dreams; but it's the original characters that make this story come alive. Signorina Valensizi is a delight, painted in bright colours, knowing grins and witty lines, and a vibrant passion; Fräulein Moller/Elsie Cooper is initially painted as a contrast, muted, rigid, and all angles and sharp tongue where Valensizi is voluptuous curves, which makes things even more interesting on a second reading (and a third, and a fourth...). Captain Baumann is a credible threat all along (and a creep). And I love Sargent Beckett (and his choice of songs. Good Ship Venus, eh? Naughty :D) and the dynamic he has with Doyle, right to the very end and that lovely duet. Plus, of course, Timothy Doyle, who remains one of my very favourite original characters. He's cool, stiff, but always dignified (which is always fun to play with) and with hidden depths. I'm always glad when he pops up in your stories, and this is a perfect introduction.

And the music :o) I love that this is essentially a story about music, from beginning (LeBeau's disreputable grandmother's song) to end (the Stalag 13 Male Voice Choir's rendition of "Hanging on the Old Barbed Wire" - although I loved the former choice of "We're Going to Hang out the Washing on the Siegfried Line" too!). It's everywhere, from the main plot (the concert/diversion) to casual conversation and minor plot points. It's used to convey messages (the very much not innocent use of "Jerusalem", or Valensizi's last encore), show dynamics and highlight character differences (Doyle's and Beckett's... different repertoires), and I love how you've woven it into the fabric of the story (including the hapless Stalag guards' names... snicker). "Perfect Pitch" always makes me want to blare Ode to Joy and sing Clementine when I reread it. (Perhaps not at the same time, though.)

It's very subjective, but part of what makes this story so special is that I sang in a choir, and when I was a kid I did some theatre for a dozen years. It's all there in your story, the nervousness before a performance, the various attitudes of people depending on whichever role they've been given, the relationship between choir and choirmaster, the dynamic between choir and orchestra (who usually only get a couple of rehearsals together before the big night), and the sheer élan that submerges you as you put everything you have into singing. The end of chapter 25 is absolutely beautiful in that regard. Throughout the story I could feel the felt of the chairs, smell the dust in the corners, hear the curtains brush the stage as they open... I probably sound ridiculous, but this story brings back so many good memories, and it's part of why I love it so much. Only part, mind you - the rest is utter enjoyment of the story and style, characterisation, etc. itself :o)
Dinogeek chapter 28 . 5/28/2015
AHAHAHA I FINISHED! I love it! You go Doyle. You just keep going... And I would never in a million years have gotten the hidden clue. Too modern for my education. :P I thoroughly enjoyed this story, and it'd be pretty killer if we ever got a sequel (nudgenudgewinkwink) but alas, this'll do for now. Fantastic job.

Dinogeek chapter 27 . 5/28/2015
Okay so I had an epiphany working at Wal-Mart today (should give tell how boring it can get there) and I wanna know if I'm right- Dowland and Purcell. Their first names wouldn't happen to be John and Henry, would they? Cause I will fall over and give you a round of applause if that's the case.
Dinogeek chapter 19 . 5/27/2015
Yeah that happened to me one time. My dad suddenly started like hacking up a lung and so guess who was the only person not playing...? The trick is to just ignore the crowd.
Dinogeek chapter 15 . 5/27/2015
I couldn't have resisted if I were you either. XD Even though German is, to put it gently, a /rough/ language. It takes major skill to get singing in Deutsche to go well... And I'm just sitting here thinking 'oh boy what's gonna go wrong to take up the next thirteen chapters?'
Dinogeek chapter 9 . 5/27/2015
Ugh that reminded me of so many rehearsals I can't even handle it.
Dinogeek chapter 6 . 5/27/2015
Oyster Nan is one of those songs... You wanna sing it to everybody, but you also wanna forget it ever happened. And OMG Doyle is such a choir director. O-o There's just no other way I can put it.
Dinogeek chapter 1 . 5/27/2015
Ahahaha, I'm gonna adore this story. I'm a musician. And it comes with a soundtrack! I love Certon... Looking forward to the rest of this story.
sparra-music chapter 27 . 8/15/2013
This is really for the end of 28... That Barbed Wire knockoff is now stuck in my head, and I could come up with endless verses:
Ah, I can just hear this...
If you want to find Burkhalter, I know where he is... yelling at Klink to shut up.
If you want to find Klink the fink, I know where he is... drowning in the old paper war.
If you want to find Schultzie, I know where he is... sitting around and stuffing his bloody guts.
If you want to find Langenscheit, I know where he is... seeing as little as he can (we taught him, we taught him) follow Shultz's example and see nothing.
If you want to find the tower guards, I know where they are... leaning out to drool over Helga.
If you want to find the Colonel, I know where he is... talking Klink into doing what he wants.
If you want to find Hochstetter, I know where he is... yelling, "what is this man doing here?" (it' won't help, it won't help) The colonel is the boss around here!
Beloved Daughter chapter 28 . 5/9/2013
Awesome story! I know someone with perfect pitch and she is the most exacting choir director I have ever heard... But they do make good choir directors! :)

Thanks for writing and posting!
konarciq chapter 27 . 3/24/2013
Just thought I'd mention this. I have read this story again recently, and once again (just as I remembered from previous times) I was amazed at how *high* the story leaves me at the end. Just like as if I'd been participating in a concert or performance myself. A great feeling to end a story with!
SpaceEngineerPeanut chapter 28 . 2/25/2013
Absolutely fantastic, I could easily see this as an episode, thank you!
sparra-music chapter 28 . 1/13/2013
So, after listening to "Hanging on the Old Barbed Wire" on youtube, it occurred to me that Schultz might be less than happy with them if the 2nd/3rd verse of that song was adapted to run: If you want to find Schultzie, I know know where he is... He's shoveling in another plate of strudel. If that is, they didn't just stick to "sitting in comfort stuffing his bloody guts."