Reviews for The Scout and the Crab
finnly chapter 36 . 11/24
I just wanted to say that i love your story! I hope it continues!
veagleeyev chapter 1 . 9/4
Tense. You need to work on keeping in tense. "Had make" instead of "had made?" Nope.
Similarly, you can't say things like, say, for example: "He rolls and then jumped." It's gotta stay in one tense. I mean, there's perfect past and perfect present and what not, and that's fine. Just use the proper auxiliary verb.
But if you're going for proper grammar, you can't just switch to present tense when writing in the past. Present tense is a bit more complex and is harder to be consistent with, I'm told, so maybe that's why people prefer past. I digress.
But if you're writing in past, you may get confused and put -es on a verb instead of -ed, thinking, "Well, it's happening now."
You'd still put -ed. You would still have was instead of is, for when in past, it still means something is happening at that moment.

Ex: He ran. He was running.

It doesn't mean he was running earlier. If that were the case, you'd say, "He had been running." Basically, present becomes past, and past becomes perfect, and future is still future, but has "would" instead of "will". Likewise, the hypothetical tense (ex: He wondered if she were... If were to exercise, he wouldn't be fat.)

At one point, you put this:

Even though he was standing right there in the open on top of the covered bridge.

That doesn't words as a sentence alone. Why? Look at the first two words it contains. It's a dependent clause. It needs the independent clause, the part that can be a complete sentence, to exist. It was part of the last sentence. You could have said, "Even though he was standing right there in the open on top of the covered bridge, [independent clause]."

You also had a participle phrase as a complete sentence. A participle comes in two forms: past and present. However, in this explanation, the past participle is irrelevant. The present participle typically ends in -ing. Remember in second grade when you'd say, "Johnny was running," and Misses Sue told you that "running" was the verb? Well, instead of explaining a whole buncha stuff that wouldn't be relevant until you were a big boy, she lied. The verb in that sentence was "was".

Now we have these -ing words that combine with "be", but they also can form adjectives, and, like gerunds, nouns. (A gerund is an -ing word that functions as a noun.) I'm going to outline the participle phrase in brackets for each of these examples.

"Heavy spammed Engi[, demanding a Dispenser]."

"[Demanding a Dispenser,] Heavy spammed Engi."

As a parenthetical phrase: "Heavy[, demanding a Dispenser,] spammed Engineer."

Notice how such phrases don't form complete sentences? Why? A sentence requires two things: a subject and a predicate. But there are a tonna technicalities to that, so let's go with a subject and a verb, 'cause those are needed too.

There is no subject in a lone participle phrase. A subject is what the sentence is about. "The sickly man died." If you want to be a perfectionist, the complete subject is the sickly man. But the noun which the verb is tied to is man, so for simplicity's sake, let's focus on that. Subject: man. Verb: died.

"The man was sick, dying." The verb here is was, but it still needs "sick". If you asked me where he was, and I responded, "He is," you'd just look at me like I was an idiot. So yeah, "was sick". It's a verb phrase. Dying is not the verb. Now that I look at it, it's an adjective. I could put "dying" in front of "man." I dunno if it works that way every time, but I just noticed it here.

Yeah, I'm nitpicking. I mean, not to the degree of seeing a movie based on a favorite book, but . This was fun to read. So far though, I like the summary best, 'cause, well, let's be honest—it was a fantastic summary.

Cause the story is good
SleepyAnarchist chapter 36 . 8/21
;m; y? Y u no finish ;m;
Evilemster chapter 5 . 8/21
God this is just brilliant! _
GammerGrl chapter 36 . 8/11
AssassinPyro chapter 36 . 8/8
Thought you might want to see a fanart I made of this story.

Dabestscout chapter 1 . 7/23
We need more updates please and you have a nice drawing of spycrab ya know it is too cute downloaded it in my phone
Girl Supersonicboy chapter 1 . 7/20
update! update update! update update update! update update update update update update update update update update update update update update update update update update update update update update update update update update update update update...
*gasps for breath*
... please?
Chibichux chapter 1 . 6/3
This is quite amazing thus far!
I just had the question if you are ever going to finish this or update it, possibly?
It is your choice if you are willing to update it or not, but I'd love to see how this will end, unless that is the end.
cellison.95 chapter 36 . 5/31
I love how the story is going and more than anything, I'd love to see this great story finished. You have done very well up to this point, my only complaints are the inconsistency with the chapters and a few inconsistency's with the story-line. Besides that, I have really been enjoying this story thus far. To be honest, I have been dreading the end of this, it was just that good. But I must admit, its worse just leaving off like this, leaving me wondering if there will ever be a conclusion. May I leave a suggestion? Well, in my personal opinion, I'd love to see the story off with you collaborating with art1st4786 again and have the war come to an end, the spycrab becoming human again, as well as getting to stay with the red scout. Maybe you could try tying up the blue scout and spy's relationship and the red sniper and engineer's relationship, if you were planning on going anywhere with that. This way, you could leave a happy ending for both the reds and the blues. Anyways, it sounds to me like there are only a few more chapters at most to go till your done. So whatever ending you choose, its up to you, just please, don't give up! ;)
That is a literal spycrab
Wolffress chapter 36 . 4/5