Reviews for Tales from the Otherside
Evani chapter 16 . 2/2
Rid was an adorable and hilarious story, that last chapter almost made me want to cry, thanks for writing it :)
tin-a-holic chapter 16 . 6/16/2014
Oh my _. Again I am sitting here in complete silence because I am at a loss for words. This whole series was masterful. How you integrated things, how Gulch had his own "magic." Especially after reading these I whole heartily agree with you that having Officer as my brother is not at all what I would like him to be, but Azkadellia might have something to say about that.

I chuckled, I cried, I swooned. I can't wait to devour the rest of the Gulchverse because I want to reread Otherside Encounters again. I know I could read them now again, but I'm a greedy little monkey. I wish there was a way I could send you some beer via Kansas cuz you definitely deserve it. Kudos to you and your fantastic writing abilities. Thank you.
tin-a-holic chapter 6 . 6/16/2014
Seriosly I hate you a little bit. this story was sooooooo ! #$%$#.! amazing just isn't enough. I love the nod to Cain, always loved the original mermaid, one of my most favorite images is by eric kincaid in the now you can read ... book series of The little mermaid circa 1986-ish. Were she turns to foam. Such a great spin. I always love a good retelling of a classic. kudos.

I'm trying to figure out if I can send you the pic via fanfic but so far its a no go.
tin-a-holic chapter 5 . 6/16/2014
I love Gulch soooooooooo much. QC was right perfect.
tin-a-holic chapter 2 . 6/16/2014
I keep Falling more and more for Officer. Argh! such a tease now its two characters I want and can't have, well at least physically. Sorry I'm a mess:)
Guest chapter 14 . 1/2/2014
was this line intended?

"I'm going to strangle her, truly, I'm going strangely her," Elmer groaned, not bothering to lift his head off the desk, "and I'm going to enjoy every damn minute of it."
MaddAlice chapter 16 . 7/20/2013
This was AMAZING! Thank you so much for writing this for us!
8. B. R. Adford chapter 16 . 10/21/2012
And I cried and I cried and I cried. Damn you...not really, how about thank you instead for a wonderful, wonderful story :)
Lcsaf chapter 9 . 9/14/2012
I can see how they're as close as they are with fic. OMG. These two crack me up.
Lcsaf chapter 3 . 9/13/2012
I have never read this before. How have I never read any of this before? It's like it suddenly appeared without warning on my radar when I was casually and innocently perusing your works again...I love it.
CurlyHairedDisaster chapter 16 . 7/11/2011
I was actually reluctant to read this one. I'm generally not a prequel sort of girl, but this. Was. PHENOMENAL. Seriously. Gulchverse might as well be canon Tin Man for me and the way you bring the characters to life is really unreal. I smiled the whole way through (and downright GRINNED at the ending!)

Fantastic!
Megan McAlistair chapter 16 . 4/19/2011
"unable to think of anything to say."

...

I'm too easily influenced by the moods in stories (if they're done well) and now I'm all... funeral-y, though I've never been to a funeral myself

"so they knew that the family hadn't just gone on a trip and forgotten to tell anyone about it"

one of those things that suddenly seem so possible, but they didn't happen

"with the centuries of age he felt settling on his shoulders"

because rookie Elmer has left the scene, Gulch is lurking just over the horizon

"calmly poking the fire to life while the rest of the camp – and her unfortunate classmates – lay in shambles"

a laugh wants to emerge but the heavy sadness is suppressing it, part of me wants to know what happened, part of me wants to giggle at "Mistress of Mayhem(/Magma)" but then there is the part that is too into it that doesn't seem to remember that DG is alive... oh bollocks

"what it felt like to have your lifelong nemesis die."

I forgot at that time that he had gone/would go through that already/later

"he wanted to give her a ticket..."

and suddenly the first chapter of OE feels like so much more, the day hasn't gone wrong, it has gone just right, perfectly right

"Tires squealing, old accustomed imprecations being muttered under his breath, Officer Gulch settled into the old routine with something akin to relief.(...)Officer/Elmer Gulch was hot on her trail. There were questions he wanted answered. He wanted to know where her family had been this past year; he wanted to know why they'd never told anyone they were ok; he wanted to give her a ticket."

I. just. noticed.

Lady of Repetition, Queen of the Meaningful Echo, Ruler over the Perceived Time

you are... world flee me, our language is too limited to express what I wish to say
Megan McAlistair chapter 15 . 4/19/2011
"the crowd melting – scrambling – away to allow his passage"

so he does have supernatural powers, and one hell of an instinct, respect

"Officer Gulch wasn't here right now,"

...but if you'd like to make an appointment, there go the Batman-references again

"someone far, far more dangerous was."

wow, that made me shudder, it's so... effective! like I am one of those teenagers and am witnessing it along with them, realizing that the person I have always teased is a wild, protective, but still civilized and effective BEAST underneath

I say beast because to me raw awesomeness always has something animalistic to it

"the last truly rational thought he was going to have for quite some time" - "The black rage took over." - "predatory, like a big mother bear protecting her young"

I didn't think you'd help me with my opinion, so this made me go 'squeeeeeeeee'

"his voice so low and rumbling"

squeeeeeeee! also... reminds me of Dark Knight, with the growling and such, also very funny out of context

"inexorable"

I never told you this but you use a lot of words that I have to look up, that I've never even heard, which proves you're cool

"There was a long crackling pause and then a hesitant reply"

*shudder* because even he almost doesn't recognize that tone, that seriousness

"I have a few ideas, but I'm open to suggestions..."

completely different feeling, he sees DG alright and well and boom goes the dynamite: he's okay again

wow, not said directly and still so. damn. obvious. that's good writing
Megan McAlistair chapter 14 . 4/19/2011
"So nothing's missing?"

is disassembly a crime? so funny

"French apple with a chunk of cheddar."

firstly: that seems to have become his regular, secondly: cheese? why cheese with pie?

"right after they finish raiding the bar that is."

mean, so mean, and soooo funny

"have fun trying to find them."

oh, we all remember, revenge is sweet... even though it's five years late

"trust Officer Gulch to remember."

oh yes, he knows what you're afraid of and will prapare a warm milk for you... or maybe an escort

"Nemesis."

any other story and that would be dramatic, prompting a dun dun duuuuuun! but in your context it's extremely funny

"she didn't mean to superglue his face to the desktop."

of course not, she'd never do that... did Nancy get nail polish remover?

"Truce?"

because while their bickering might have been fun it has to stop now
Megan McAlistair chapter 13 . 4/18/2011
"relatively well behaved plot devices"

you mean they aren't so well-liked by the readers that everyone demands the story from their point of view as well as their background story and additional adventures?

to be honest, the Gulch-verse lacks a bit of a villain now that they're married and all

(unimportant, just fo the heck of it, even though it doesn't match the tone of your story -)so Roxanne and Bobby mysteriously come to the OZ in a magical accident where they get posessed by... either the remains of the Witch of something nightmare-related, then they come to haunt DG and Gulch, who must then discover that as unpleasant as the two were back then, they were never truly evil

"from time to time in his youth"

...more and more frequently later, much later

"if she should happen to know the perpetrator she might try suggesting they cut it out now."-"and if certain motorcycle parts DG had despaired of fixing magically reformed or replaced themselves while she was at school"

that made me laugh so hard, I can't contain myself anymore

"F-udge it, he thought"

even. in. his. thoughts.

"Elmer did a"

always Elmer, never Gulch, when used more than once every story... the name sounds very endearing

"his utility belt caught on some out-jutting scrap of metal or other"

that is giving me precisely two thoughts: 1. whenever someone says utility belt I automatically think of Batman, 2. there's a joke I once heard and the punchline is something along the lines of: "What, he fell off the scaffolding? but that's at least a hundred feet!" "ah, it wasn't that bad, he got his eye caught on a nail"

"holding up well under operational demands they weren't really designed for"

I'm sure they'd love to receive such a letter, it's like a review to the manufacturer

"he could watch to see if she got home alright."

a silent guardian of the night... just like Batman!