Reviews for An Imperfect Woman
AngelQueen chapter 1 . 8/5/2012
Oh my goodness, this is just BRILLIANT! You did such an amazing job, portraying Winona's life, and Jim's and Sam's, after the loss of George and the Kelvin. I was enthralled from start to finish!

I just wanted to wring Frank's neck, for hurting the boys, and Alice's too, for probably hiding him. Makes me wonder if the authorities ever found him...

You did a great job, building Jim up to the point of where he was at when he met Christopher Pike, the angry and brash young man. Of course, adding the scene where Winona talked Jim into taking Pike up on his offer was an excellent touch. It adds a bit more substance to Jim appearing at the shipyard that morning.

Winona's relationship with Sam just about broke my heart, to see it fall to that. It makes me hope that someday they'll get to be on better terms. Maybe if Sam manages to find Aurelan in this timeline, or someone equally special, things will improve. *crosses fingers*

The ending was just wonderful! I loved that Jim was able to get a photo of the carving in the closet of Winona's old dorm room. I wanted to both giggle and cry a little. Such a sweet move. :)

And the hint at the end that Winona felt that she might be ready to move on! SWEET! Especially since it might be Chris! (I have a huge crush on Christopher Pike, so I would say that Winona has excellent taste. ;D)

Again, wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! :D
BelladonasMom chapter 1 . 7/1/2011
Amazing and real!
Doni chapter 1 . 3/29/2011
So very well done. You managed to make her a sympathetic character and even likable, while still showing that she's flawed. Love the snippets of her and George. I also love the parallels between her and Bones' personalities and Jim and Georges, as well as their reactions to one another. Lovely.
Lantis chapter 1 . 12/7/2010
I'm not being nice just to be a gushing fangirl; this made me cry. And laugh. And spazz a bit, the way good writing does. I love it. Thank you for writing it, and pleasepleasePLEASE never take it down so I can always come back to reread it. :)
sara chapter 1 . 12/5/2010
That was pretty good. I like how Winona wasn't the evil witch. Well written. Now excuse me I have to go see what else you've written
theinspired chapter 1 . 11/27/2010
Yes! love it! It took me a few days, but I made it through. I have this huge smile on my face cause it's so amazing. I really like Winona and Pike together, though I've never thought of it before. Great job!
atymer chapter 1 . 11/20/2010
I wondered when I began to read this, would it be another story of a woman too lost in grief to care for her own.

What I found was a quite realistic look at death, grief and the effect it has on an entire family.

Winona did do the best she could. She trusted her family, and as many of us do, buried any disquiet she felt in that trust. She was attempting to fulfill her life as well as her childrens. It just all got away from her. She didn't consider the signs, didn't take into consideration that although her children were sons of George Kirk, they were not carbon copies. Sam needed his insecurities addressed and I think he came to believe she would not have prevented her brother from abusing them. She didn't tackle his bitter silences and his brother's skittishness.

He could not shoulder the adult burden of protecting his brother and resented his brother because of it. Sometimes life just sucks. Winona had to face the fact her mother chose to protect her own abusive adult child instead of the defenseless grandchildren.

So many regrets.

That is why this story was so realistic to me. Sometimes you can't win them all, save them all. Sometimes you can only muddle through and do the best you can when you can.

Kudos to the author for a very human story. Well Done.
Lady Merlin chapter 1 . 11/20/2010
GRRR! (I'm not actually mad) YOU MADE ME LIKE HER!

I've been working myself up to my usual hatered for one Winona Kirk, and YOU MADE ME LIKE HER! *gnash teeth*

This is brilliant. Lovable, and believable, even though the dynamic between Jim and Winnie is shocking, and utterly unforgettable. Great. Perfect. I'm writing a fic in which Winona is THE biggest bitch to roam the earth, and I'm FINALLY finishing my damned exams (TWO WEEKS! *hysterical giggles*) and I thought, hey. Let's work up some anger, yeah? and I find this. *scowl* It's just THAT good. I'm going to keep thinking about your winnie. I swear, if I steal her and screw her up, you'll have to forgive me. I now officially adore you.

Love,

Lady Merlin
Delete Moi chapter 1 . 11/19/2010
Even though it was long, I totally fell in love with this story. It's like a prequel to Star Trek, all wonderfully written. Great work.
Wahoogal06 chapter 1 . 11/15/2010
Before I start, let me just say that I wish my review would be as eloquent as yor story was, but it won't be.

I *loved* "An Imperfect Woman". It was a great piece that really showed all sides of Winona Kirk, warts and all, and displayed them beautifully. She was more than just tragic widow of the Hero of the Kelvin and you showed just how complex she was in your work. I thought you did a great job showing how much she loved her boys (all of them), what her relationship with the extended family, how she handled the abuse when it was brought to light, what it was like raising Jimmy through his hellish late-teens/early-twenties; you touched on all the cornerstones that I think a lot of really good ST:2009 fan fics do only you utilized the oft-ignored matriarch in a really unique and interesting way. I can't wait to see what else you've done (or will do) and am definitely adding this to my Favorite Stories list for others to see and read!

Thank you for sharing your work with all of us!

~Wahoogal
passionfornight chapter 1 . 11/15/2010
That was so long.

But fantastic. I like this different view of the Winona/Jim dynamic. She was there, but she wasn't. She was the parent, but she was the friend. And in the end she was the key in getting Jim to StarFleet. Wonderful story.
Erroneously chapter 1 . 11/15/2010
This was great - I really enjoyed your view of Winona.
Soului chapter 1 . 11/14/2010
Extremely interesting piece for character development here. Also, very well written. Out of curiousity, why did you decide to have Kirk not go to Tarsus in this universe, just to differentiate it from the original or..?

Are you planning to do more like this. Personally I would love to see one set after the Narada incident. I know it's been done a million times, but judging from this I think it's safe to say that you would offer something of a new perspective on it.

Thank you so much for writing this.
starlette chapter 1 . 11/14/2010
Half way throught this, I was prepared to hate Winona forever. And then you turned it around and made me love her. That takes talent.
Toadflame chapter 1 . 11/14/2010
Oh. My. God. This is one of-no, THE BEST, Winona and Jim family story I have EVER, EVER read! I'm seriously not kidding, all the ones I've read have been like 'oh, she was abusive/negligent towards both of them, let's bash her into the ground with a pointed stick.' This is, in all seriousness, the best one I've ever read. It was funny, it was angsty, it had all the right stuff in it. And the best part? I can't come up with my favorite line. One of the ones up there is about how she's gonna chop Jim off and the knees and she tells him to get a ladder-that's totally what my mom and brother are like, so it had the 'connect to life' aspect as well. Seriously. If there was a 'THE BIG DUMB JERK hearts THE EVIL WHITE WITCH FOREVER AND EVER *LOVE*' button, I would be pressing it.

There might have been a couple errors, like spelling, but I can't remember anymore in light of how seriously awesome this was/is. THank you so much for posting it!