Reviews for Bearing Gifts
kfatica chapter 1 . 7/12/2016
Simply beautiful.
Alinyaalethia chapter 1 . 11/16/2013
I especially like 'Harriet the mother of future Anglican communicants, stumbled for a moment into Harriet, the hopeful, respectful agnostic, and the two bowed respectfully to each other and went their separate ways.' But I do love all of it. A real treat to read.
harpomarx chapter 1 . 7/23/2013
Oh, what a marvelous (and marvelously told) story! So glad I stumbled upon it.
HarnGin chapter 1 . 1/24/2013
That was one of sweetest stories I've ever read (though I have to ask where was Paul?). Thanks so much for writing.
constantlearner chapter 1 . 12/26/2012
Wonderful, and very, very Sayersesque. I don't know how I missed this before, but I'm especially glad I found it now.
sodacityscribbler chapter 1 . 7/22/2012
Marvelous!
ericshipperforever chapter 1 . 11/14/2011
I'm a big Peter wimsey fan and love Jill Paton Walsh's "fan fiction". I really enjoyed your story and thought it captured the mood perfectly. Thank you.
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 9/21/2011
This is just perfect! From the row at the beginning (completely in character on both sides) to the shift in emotional key as they face the impending separation, to Harriet's frustration with her lack of talents (and reminder of her real talent) and her conversation with her son, to the final conversation with Bunter, every word is a perfect note in the whole song. I loved how you tied Harriet's comforting conversation with Bredon about the stars as a way to think of his father with her own stargazing at the end, after the story reveals how the quarrel from the beginning was patched up. (And that was done so nicely, with both Bunter's revelation of Lord Peter's permission and Harriet's own recollection of the subsequent conversation with her husband.) So many lovely lines, in addition to those quoted by earlier reviews, with whom I totally agree: "Even in so eloquent and indeed, cerebral a relationship as that between Lord Peter Wimsey and his lady, there is a time for silence. Harriet went to him." "Peter, whose innocence - already hard beset, for those eyes had been born to see too clearly what most children in his position found it very easy to ignore - had ended so abruptly in the war. Now only the first war." And best of all: "Harriet the mother of future Anglican communicants stumbled a moment into Harriet the hopeful, respectful agnostic, and the two bowed courteously to each other and went their separate ways." Sayers herslef could hardly do better.
Littera chapter 1 . 7/18/2011
This is by far the best Peter Wimsey fic I've ever stumbled upon, and it almost provokes me that it hasn't got more reviews.

Not only is it well written from a purely literary point of view, it is also a spot on personification of all the characters involved. It made me cry a little, it made me forget it was fanfiction (because it felt so much like Dorothy Sayers), and it was absolutely marvellous! Thank you for writing it!
Azdak chapter 1 . 6/16/2011
This is beautifully done! My absolute favourite moment is the image of the statue - "It means little to say that a man's face was like a statue's; many statues have expressive and open faces, clearly legible to the curious, faces that would be quite mobile if transmuted to flesh. Bunter's face was like the flat stone before ever chisel has been set to it." - but the story is full of excellent turns of phrase. The quarrel that opens is utterly believable - Peter's unintentional smugness at his own moral superiority is exactly right - and I really like the way Harriet's point of view is illuminated at the end. And Bunter as father Christmas is grounded in a reality that overcomes sentimentality. Great stuff! (I'm so glad you avoided the temptation to have Peter come back for Christmas. Oh, and I must mention how much I liked Harriet's newly developed sense of feminine solidarity as she reflects on how lucky she is compared to many other women also waiting for their husbands).
Captain Weirdo chapter 1 . 12/16/2010
Great. Juuuuuust great. Evidently my punishment for reading this gem at work is to have to explain to my co-workers why my eyes are all red and teary.

Thanks a lot.

~grins~

cw
charverz chapter 1 . 11/25/2010
Excellent work. You've captured the characters admirably, and true to Sayers's work. The age diffeence between Peter and Harriet is really only played up in Gaudy Night, when they feed the ducks, but is an avenue that deserves more explanation.
Nans chapter 1 . 11/24/2010
What a delightful story, it touched my heart

Nans
Sabrina chapter 1 . 11/21/2010
Wow. This story hit all the right notes - perfectly. Your writing is truly beautiful and all of your characters are so true, especially Bunter and Harriet.
gypsymuse chapter 1 . 11/18/2010
This was really quite beautifully written, very evocative and true both to the characters and the period. Thank you.