Reviews for Made of Grass
Aerlinnel chapter 1 . 7/25/2002
!

Another Hobbit/Elf slash! So I'm not the only crazy one who thinks about things like that! :-D (Seriously, my "The Smallest Person" grabbed ahold of me and would not let go until it was written.)

This is so sweet, Deborah. So completely Bilbo in tone. And it rings (har!) very true that the Ring would not at all like to see Bilbo grow past where he is. And...aw, Elladan! Them Elves are so good at little symbolic gestures like that, aren't they?
Arwen Imladviel chapter 1 . 4/11/2002
"At your service" "At yours and your family's,"

I always thought that was a greeting of the dwarves, to me it has a dwarvish sound. Nevertheless, a good story. Bilbo sounds like himself, right to the last line. Merry and Pippin is such a typical pairing, but putting Sam on a hopeless quest was a nice touch. En principé Tolkien shash is tasteless to me (in two meanings of the word) but yours has, if not the flavour of lembas that I get from your other stories, then the sweetness of the beornings' honey cakes.
Hope33 chapter 1 . 3/26/2002
fantastic - at first i was reluctant to read it because i was like "bilbo/elladan? how could THAT work", but you managed to pull it off brilliantly with your excellent writing.

and as a side note, thanks for reviewing my stories - not many do, especially *seriously* (know what i mean?) so yeah.

-estel/hope
Altariel chapter 1 . 3/24/2002
This is so skilful and beautifully written. In between the lightness it suddenly becomes extremely chilling. The idea of the Ring preventing love is superb.
Just me chapter 1 . 3/17/2002
Hmmm…I didn’t expect to like this, but I read it because I was bored-and I liked it. I don’t mind a bit of slash now and then, but I never thought of Bilbo having any love interest in anyone—he’s always been a completely asexual bachelor in my mind. But this is a lovely romance.

It’s a very cute image of elderly Bilbo telling Pippin about this. I can just picture the movie versions of these characters having this little interlude, with Pippin listening with that entranced, slackjawed expression of his to white-haired Bilbo in Rivendell…

Here’s to Bilbo and Elladan. I do wonder though what Elladan sees in Bilbo—think you’ll write a sequel?
Maia1 chapter 1 . 3/15/2002
This is such a beautiful, sad, moving and

thought-provoking story.

Love as growth, and the Ring as stopping growth;

it makes so much horrible tragic sense.

"I should like to see it again"-so chilling.

What a powerful piece. Thank you.
Honesty chapter 1 . 3/12/2002
Cripes! You do come up with the most intriguing pairings - & this one is beautiful & most unusual.

Love what you're doing here - Pippin makes his presence felt without saying anything (I was tittering about the 'not growing' bit as well) & Bilbo - well, he's Bilbo, which is saying a lot.

But the thing I really love - & the thing whose absence drives me witless in conventional romances - is the beautiful inconclusive unevenness of love - of love damaged, but still managing, somehow, to salvage something from the wreckage, because that is what love *does*. You feel very much by the end just how damaged Bilbo must be, & though it is never clearly spelt out, it is clear that Elladan must feel it very much too.
Haleth chapter 1 . 3/11/2002
I don't have anything useful to say, but this really deserves more than 3 reviews, it's beautifully written.
Oboe-Wan chapter 1 . 3/11/2002
(for the record... I don't like slash. I'm not militantly anti-slash, I just don't care for it myself. Being a hopeless romantic, I get very caught up in "canon" couples, and generally dislike any rearrangements of affections, even heterosexual ones. And being single, I'm also a firm believer in plutonic friendships)

That said...

I liked very much that you set it up first person, as a story being told. This fits well into Bilbo's personality, and you've caught his tone quite masterfully.

The last line is PERFECT. Even though Bilbo has detached the Ring's hold on him enough to give it to Frodo, it still has grip on him, even from afar. Very chilling. Icky Ring. Kill it! *ahem*

And please don't blame us non-slash fans for not reviewing. It's all sour grapes - we all(well, me at least _) just want Elladan for ourselves. *sniffle*
Soledad too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 3/10/2002
Oh, that was really sweet! I never thought of Elladan being the one who greeted Bilbo and the Dwarves when they arrived in Rivendell! And you worked in the power of the Ring very well, too.

Ah, and thanks for the flowers, by the way!
Jacynthe Demorae chapter 1 . 3/10/2002
Hmm. Unusual pairing, but built around a good concept. :) Nice work. I'd have liked it to be a bit longer-but I'm a sucker for long stories, so that's just my personal bias.

Well done. :)