Reviews for The Adventure of the Surrogate Spy
Miss Taggart Transcontinental chapter 1 . 7/20/2013
Hey! This story has a lot of promise, and I hope you continue it someday. As a violinist myself, I find it particularly enjoyable.

In case you are interested, your timing with the Tchaikovsky concerto is not bad. The concerto was originally written in 1878, but the soloist who had worked with Tchaikovsky on it (Leopold Auer) decided that it was too difficult and not that good, and he refused to premiere it. It was first performed by Adolf Brodsky in 1881, but was not played often because it did not get good reviews. Critics thought it was too long and sounded too Russian. Thus, it was not widely performed until the late 1890s. At some point, Leopold Auer went back and edited it. He performed it a lot and taught it to his students (including Jascha Heifetz).

It is my favorite concerto in the world. I just performed it for my high school graduation recital last month. However, I do not envy Holmes. It took me nearly a year to get it to performance quality.

I've really enjoyed all your stories. Please write more soon!

Dagny
LMC chapter 2 . 7/8/2013
I hope you are going to finish this someday!
Phyonnagh chapter 2 . 3/16/2012
This is brilliant! For God's sake please finish it!
TheRoadgoeseverOnAndOn chapter 2 . 1/11/2012
Maybe Holmes will still be mellow after this case is over.
TheRoadgoeseverOnAndOn chapter 1 . 1/11/2012
This sounds like a good case.
Univarius chapter 2 . 12/30/2011
This is an incredible story. I don't think that I have ever read a story that, essentially, revolves around Holmes' musical ability. The fact that he isn't immediately wonderful when performing for others, while at home it is having such an obvious impact on him adds so much to his characterisation, which I feel you have caught so very well for both Holmes and Watson.

I look forward to your next update.
anonymous chapter 2 . 12/2/2011
I just read both chapters of your story - I love the clever plot with the idea of codes hidden in the music but even more I love how you depict the relationship between the characters. I hope you update soon - thanks!
grossasstoenails chapter 2 . 12/2/2011
I can't begin to even express how glad I am that you picked this story up again after such a long hiatus! The first chapter was so original that I eagerly waited for more...

...and waited...and waited...

Until finally! A second chapter! Please please please update soon! I have a feeling chapter three is going to be even more interesting :)
mrspencil chapter 2 . 12/2/2011
Delighted to see more of this posted. I am intrigued by Watson's observations. Is this part of Holmes' natural reticence in revealing much of himself? The idea that regular playing of the violin would mellow him is an appealing one and you have a very light touch in describing the relationship between the two of them. An excellent chapter:-)

Mrs P:-)
grossasstoenails chapter 1 . 6/14/2011
you should REALLY finish this! please! It seems to have an original plot and is extremely interesting!
Talibra chapter 1 . 11/23/2010
"Oh, Watson!" he smiled. "The romantic streak in you is really indefatigable." 3

Please, continue! Your style of writing is brilliantly dramatic and I'm gripped :D
Nytd chapter 1 . 11/21/2010
An intriguing first chapter!

I like the details you include about the violins. I wonder if the Stradivari Society would consider re-naming that particular instrument to include 'dammit' in it's title? :)

Actually,I have met the woman who was loaned the Burstein;Bagshawe Stradivarius, Janice Martin, a couple of times, and have actually gotten to hold it!

Your Holmes was very good in this chapter, I could see him being irritated that his true talents, as far as he is concerned, were not what the group was after.

Mycroft was excellent as well -it takes quite some thought to write Sherlock's brother as being one step ahead of him! :)

'"Perhaps," I proposed at length, "it is a daunting thing for any man to be called upon to bare his soul to an audience of strangers."

Holmes was silent for an instant, and I thought, briefly, that I had struck a chord.

I was slightly nettled to discover that he had, in fact, been restraining laughter when at last he could not resist breaking into a chortle.

"Oh, Watson!" he smiled. "The romantic streak in you is really indefatigable."'

This exchange is very typical of the pair, and my favorite passage of the chapter!

Looking forward to this journey for sure!
Arisprite chapter 1 . 11/20/2010
Looks utterly intriguing. I wait for the next part eagerly!

Ari
mrspencil chapter 1 . 11/20/2010
This is off to a very promising start! I liked the descriptions of the Alvestons and was delighted to see the Vuillaume involved. Watson's vain attempt to interpret Holmes' reasons for his actions worked well too . The scene is set and I look forward to reading more,

Mrs P:)
x-Pick'n'Mix-x chapter 1 . 11/20/2010
this is really good, update soon please :)