Reviews for Here I Am, Turn the Page
ContortionCanvas chapter 1 . 5/10/2011
This is my second run through reading it, and I have to say, when you do know how it ends, you really care less about the humble beginnings. Of course, as Miyuki found out, when you don't know the end...

It definitely was a wonderful experience, both times. I especially liked the symbolic paragraph about books being a gateway and whatnot. Even with my brain wanting to skip most stuff to the end, I had to stop, pause, and enjoy that moment. Now, there are a few things I despise with the plot.

1) Why did Miyuki want to know how her life was going to end? This is more of a human question than anything else. Why do people want to know how they're going to die? Is it because they fear death, or because they want to control their own destiny? If it is the latter, then there is an irony here. If it is the former, then it's a tragedy.

2) When Miyuki felt the painful connection between the book and herself, why didn't she realize the potential the book had? Whatever one did was written, so theoretically whatever one wrote would be done. Though I could be wrong; I'd need to have a greater understanding of the original text to figure it out, possibly.

3) Did Kagami take her book? I would like to know if she understood these things more than the "genius" did (as Miyuki is often referred to as).
Tastychainsaws chapter 1 . 11/25/2010
Overall, I liked it, a very entertaining story to read. I like that kind of horror that isn't tangible. Where characters are forced against something so unreal that they aren't sure how to react; and end up losing it more often then not. Also found myself like the little history debate, since it didn't come off as too preachy from any of them.

But I have to say, I think you could have done more to turn this from a good story into a great story. More inner monologue and elaboration on Miyuki losing her mind would have been great. The end seemed just a little sudden, which is again why I said more elaboration would have been preferred. The inner torment of a character is something me (and no doubt others) revel in. Besides that, my only other complaint is that Miyuki's use of the word, "fuck" seemed sort of...out of place even when you consider what was happening.

All in all, I really liked it.
Taku-yaki chapter 1 . 11/21/2010
I understood nothing, because I suck at history. But seriously, Miyuki going INSANE? That's...unusual. Miyuki swearing, then going insane. Well that's not something you see everyday! :D
FallenLegend chapter 1 . 11/20/2010
Well...This was more than a little disturbing.

I liked it, and yet I kinda don't. It was very well written, and there were no spelling mistakes (yay!) but theres just something off with imagining a flaming Miyuki running out the window. Or an incinerator in their high school for that matter. Miyuki is incredibly out of character, but in context with the story it works. Nice writing!