Reviews for Rebound
90TheGeneral09 chapter 17 . 12/17/2017
As usual, excellent writing. You have impressive skill, and knowledge of the show and its characters. I highly recommend that you update your knowledge of NCIS, though! Watch Seasons 9-13 at least. The show has held up well over the years and having better knowledge of, for instance, Anthony DiNozzo Sr. might well be useful and helpful to you in your writing.

Brody Harris was shot by someone trying to kill him and fell off the side of a good-sized cargo ship into the sea. Given that nobody even pulled him out... yes, they might have to presume him dead, but he's gone. There's zero chance of him getting out of that alive. Death is seldom deserved, but I doubt the world will much mourn the loss of this man.
However, I wonder what his colleagues, any friends or family will be told about how he died and why.

Yeah, I bet Tony can live with what happened to Brody. I'm sure anybody could.
90TheGeneral09 chapter 16 . 12/17/2017
Another excellent chapter!
Oh, hey, you wrote in the author's notes for this chapter just what I recently observed- we have heard from each of the services in this story! With the exception that there have been only discharged and retired Marines.
Gibbs is stated to have joined the USMC in 1976 and to have left in 1991, after 15 years. You wonder why he didn't stay in 5 more years and get that retirement pay. But he is a Marine to the core, and will remain that way for the rest of his life. As is the case with many of the Marines I have met regardless of rank or time in service.

I gather you are referring to the McCormick case? At any rate, you are indeed saying here that there is more to the story, so I'm interested in where that will go from here.
90TheGeneral09 chapter 15 . 12/17/2017
With the (I assume) Air Force pilots LT Drummond and MAJ Tran now flying the team back, we've heard from active duty personnel of every service but the Marines, unless I'm mistaken.
Major Tran's question to Lieutenant Drummond at the end of this chapter should have the first letter of Drummond's rank capitalized.
Good work on this chapter. Glad to see the team headed back.
90TheGeneral09 chapter 14 . 12/17/2017
Another good chapter. I don't want to repeat myself too much, but you continue to write the story and the characters with real skill. I am greatly impressed by how engaging your writing is and how real it all seems.
The NCIS folks are on Army turf now. If they don't bugger off to their own territory CID may barge in on this whether they want it or not.
Lieutenant Colonel Hollis Mann, the one and only.
90TheGeneral09 chapter 13 . 12/17/2017
I'm curious. Why did the Coast Guard send the "Hamilton" rather than the Navy sending a destroyer, frigate, or cruiser? And had they been available a team of SEALs would have been superb for extraction of such a hostage. I believe the USCG can leave US territorial waters, especially since there are areas they patrol that are separate from one another. But I just wonder why a Navy ship was not detailed for this.

Excellent work by Gibbs, and McGee. I hope a letter of commendation or something similar is put in both men's files for their work on this. The CIA agent who was aboard the cargo ship did fine work too. The Coast Guard are indeed professionals, as you show here. But if I understand you right, you show the captain of the "Hamilton" actively participating in the boarding of the cargo ship. Would that be done? Anyway. I knew that Brody Harris was going to pay dearly for his choices, but I was hoping that he would get taken alive. Death means he doesn't have to go through years of court and jail time, and then a life in prison. It could be argued he got off easy this way. But, not too easy.

I'm curious. There's 32 chapters and Brody Harris is finished at Chapter 13. Why have the story go on so far beyond this point? You must have a reason. I will be interested to find out what it is.
90TheGeneral09 chapter 12 . 12/17/2017
The captain of this ship has put himself in a position I don't envy in the slightest. But then that's just the key thing- HE did this. HE is involved whether he wants to be or not, although I find it cheering and amusing that he is not even the slightest bit hesitant about throwing Brody to the wolves if it means saving his own arse. No surprise there, given that he was tolerating Brody at best before and is quite tired of the liability and danger he has now become.
I'm amazed Brody managed to stay alive this long.
The captain's men should have been able to handle a single rogue federal agent, especially with them having automatic rifles. But, they're basically bums and he is a competent and able fighter.
If I had to criticize something, it's the almost *meek* way Tony conducts himself at times. Not that he doesn't have to play the game a bit, keep Brody from going over the edge and killing him, but my impression is that Tony would have been at least somewhat more defiant even in this same position. But that's just me.

That's exactly the mentality of the childish, greedy obsessive. If I can't have it, I'm gonna destroy it, because if I can't have it NO ONE gets to have it. Even when it comes to human life.
Good ending to this chapter. I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next.
90TheGeneral09 chapter 11 . 12/17/2017
Outstanding work by the NCIS team, and by everyone else involved in tracking Tony down. Kidnapping a federal agent is going to get some people's undivided attention, that's for sure.
USCGC Hamilton (WMSL-753) is a real US Coast Guard cutter that was commissioned in 2014. This story was started in 2010 and written through to 2016, so you may be referring to a real or fictional ship.
NAS Oceana, Langley AFB, NS Norfolk- the Navy and Air Force have a significant presence in the Norfolk/Hampton Roads/Virginia Beach area.
Brody has clearly managed to conceal some significant personal/psychological issues for some time. A person doesn't just do this out of nowhere, not to my knowledge. Justice is coming for him whether he knows it or not.
90TheGeneral09 chapter 10 . 12/17/2017
Another excellent chapter. This one has an especially strong closing line to it. Ducky is not normally given to issuing orders, especially not to Gibbs, but under the circumstances I understand it, and clearly Gibbs does as well. It speaks volumes of how much Ducky has invested in this, even though he does not work on the front line.
90TheGeneral09 chapter 9 . 12/17/2017
This is rough. NCIS is on out, but it seems in doubt as to whether or not they'll get to Tony in time. My guess is they will, but if I had to judge that based entirely on Ch 1-9, it'd be a hard call. Your writing continues to be excellent, and the storytelling interesting and engaging. I am of course glad to leave a review, and you're welcome to take a look at some of my own NCIS stories anytime, to share the love! But that's something else. For now, take this review and my compliments for your fine writing. On to Chapter 10.
90TheGeneral09 chapter 8 . 12/16/2017
Okay, I lied. I started reading Chapter 8 and had to continue. Outstanding work, absolutely outstanding. Talk about dramatic. Harris was fast, you gotta admit that. Had he waited even another day, he might well have been done for. But then, he anticipated that and moved first. Fleeing the country like this, deserting his job and kidnapping a federal agent... this man is through. He'll either be a fugitive, a man wanted by the United States government, for the rest of his life, or he'll be in prison for the rest of his life. Those are the best outcomes.
I found myself wishing they could get the Navy on it. A surface warship or one of the Atlantic Fleet's attack submarines could absolutely handle some crummy Columbian freighter. But the Navy could not possibly act unless they knew what ship Tony was on, and nobody but Harris knows that at the moment.

Gibbs really is a caring guy, isn't he? I mean, he's the iconic tough sergeant with the heart of gold. Tony screws up and doesn't shoot, he complies and lets Harris kidnap him, and Gibbs, ever the Marine, is blaming himself. While he is momentarily recognizing that Tony could have made a better choice at the moment of truth, Gibbs' focus is on what HE could have done better, what he, the veteran and the leader, could have done to better look out for his men.

I had fun with the jurisdiction battles between the agencies and departments! I mean, it's NOT fun to be involved in turf wars of any kind, ever, but fun to read about them. I know those things can and do happen. Technically, these folks are all supposed to be brothers and sisters in the same service, all law enforcement agents doing the same job under different titles, but that's not always how it works. Local, city, and state police and be very jealous of the territory they patrol and not exactly eager to have someone else horning in on what they see as THEIR area, their case.

Man, I'm through to 8 chapters and there's 32 in total? This is great. So much to look forward to. Okay, I'm really done with my reading for now, but as I said, I promise to read and review every single remaining chapter for this story.
90TheGeneral09 chapter 7 . 12/16/2017
Brody Harris, you fool. You stupid, egotistical fool. You just passed "destroyed career" and headed on toward "life in prison". There's a type of person that, when they're up to their neck in trouble, asks for more. Old Brody looks to be the type. This was by FAR the best chapter of this story yet. Tony was an idiot not to shoot when he had the chance. One of the things I know about situations like that is you NEVER let the attacker have what they want if there is even the slightest chance of an alternative. Hesitation means death.

Besides, Harris wants to live. He evidently has some kind of escape planned. He probably would have pulled the trigger, probably, but if he had REALLY wanted to shoot Gibbs he would've just done it.

Can't wait to find out how this turns out. I have to stop for today, but this is just superb. You really should watch Seasons 9-15 and get caught up, and write something about the more recent years of NCIS. I know you could do it. I promise I will read and review this entire story, but given the length of it that will take a little time. I can't make any promises about how long, just that I will get it done.
90TheGeneral09 chapter 6 . 12/16/2017
Tony has indeed gotten himself in over his head, further than he'd ever intended to. It reminds me of Bull Connor, who, in spite of his obvious failings, was right when he said "I've never seen anyone yet who went looking for trouble who wasn't able to find it."
Gibbs has been described as the core of the NCIS team on the show, the glue that holds the rest of them together. I mean, really- it's next to impossible to imagine the agents, as well as they all work together, knowing what to do and how to do it in just about every situation if they didn't have Gibbs. But then Gibbs was a gunnery sergeant in the Marines, and Marines of any rank, but especially gunnery sergeants, are known for their ability to improvise, adapt and overcome.

Your writing of this story and all the involved characters is superb. I can't tell the OCs from the canon ones from the show, you've done so well with writing them. I worry about Tony and how he'll get out of this situation, but Gibbs is on it. Brody Harris may be a federal agent himself but that doesn't mean he's ready to take on a Marine.
90TheGeneral09 chapter 5 . 12/16/2017
Things continue to intensify. I'm amazed. You have 32 chapters of this in total? I'm definitely reading the rest of them.
90TheGeneral09 chapter 4 . 12/16/2017
Oh, wow. I just learned something very interesting about Brody Harris, in this chapter. Someone's career is going to get destroyed over this if it goes far enough, and I'd say it already has. Again, he probably believes he's invincible, but he's playing with fire. I sincerely hope that Tony gets out of this without any damage to his own career.

Gibbs and his long-standing mutual respect with Tobias Fornell comes into play here, and as always, you depict the characters and their interactions with great accuracy.
Ah, and we hear a reminder of one of Gibbs' rules. He's a tough man. Caring, but tough, and he sticks by those rules of his.
90TheGeneral09 chapter 3 . 12/16/2017
This Brody has REALLY got some nerve. Is he insane? The consequences of invading the private and professional life of a federal agent, as well as those for plain old assault and sexual harassment... and then there's obtaining confidential government information that is NOT cleared for public release. I realize he doesn't care about any of that, because he feels he has a right to do all of it. But this man is insane. If he were to keep on doing this with federal agents, with personnel of the Navy Department, that is a GREAT way to get arrested or shot. My money's on one of those things happening to old Brody some fine day or another, or both. He may have the upper hand for now but he is absolutely playing with fire.

You did a superb job depicting the father-son relationship that Gibbs and Tony have, in this chapter especially. Outstanding work. And interestingly, it seems like Brody isn't the only one who has been and still is playing with fire here. Your writing is excellent. I can't read this all tonight but my interest is strong. I am eager to find out where else this goes.
386 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »