Reviews for Truth and Lies
highland girl 1592 chapter 1 . 7/8/2014
This is very well done! Although, I for one (and possibly am the only one),
have always thought that Bertha had syphilis. Since Rochester didn't
start cheating on her until AFTER they were married and after he discovered
what he had married, clearly,she didn't get it from him.

And as for his shutting her up in an attic, have you ever been in a 19th century
insane (so-called) asylum? I think he was being quite compassionate towards
her.

He could just as easily sent her to another country to live in an asylum there.

He also could have just stood back and let Bertha die. But he didn't. He tried to save
her at nearly the cost of his own life.

But you did answer a question that I have always had. How could Jane have written
her autobiography without changing names to protect the innocent or the guilty, without
Rochester finding out?

Of course, the possibility does exist that he never did find out, which would explain why Jane
insisted living in isolation at Ferndean. A house you may recall, that Rochester considered to
be in a too unhealthy location for Bertha.

Have you ever wondered what Jane would have done, if everything had occurred just like she
narrated but with one very important difference?

i. Bertha never died in that fire? Would Jane have gone back to St John and married him
or would she have changed her mind and become Rochester's mistress,anyway?

After all she didn't know anything bad had happened until after she saw Thornfield.

If Charlotte Bronte had written an epilogue,I am sure this is how it would've been written. :)
Jingyee1511 chapter 1 . 11/2/2013
A very interesting exchange... I'm rather amused by it, and I suppose you've successfully pointed out all the Romantic elements and replaced them with something more Realist. it made sense. Although I stick by the classic, nice work.
kittybookworm chapter 1 . 9/27/2013
Wow, this is like a discussion of the book and devices used within it from the point of view of the characters. Its so intriguing! I would love another chapter. :) xx kittybookworn
RealityKilledMe chapter 1 . 8/22/2011
Great story written by a great writer!
Annie chapter 1 . 8/7/2011
i enjoyed this a lot! nice job!
astute chapter 1 . 6/17/2011
So... Rochester doesn't like the novel he himself stars in. Criticception? Clever point, well-written story!
StarryEyedReader chapter 1 . 3/16/2011
ok...this was weird! I hope it was meant to be a joke.
Sybil Jane Capulet chapter 1 . 2/21/2011
This is excellent. You really captured Charlotte Bronte's writing style. Jane's book being edited by Currer Bell was a wonderful touch. It's interesting the way Jane and Rochester continually speak lovingly and carress echother even when they're angry. They sexual aspect of their relationship is often ignored, and I'm glad you didn't do so.
Marabel chapter 1 . 2/16/2011
When I first read your story I thought oh no this is than I thought C. Bronte was cruel to Rochester after all why not a few lies thrown in. In the end they forgive each other and all is well. Right? Maybe? Very well done.
Bonbonnett chapter 1 . 11/24/2010
The bit about the ampersand is very interesting-I had never considered it.

This is very well done, but I can't quite figure out the mood-it is rather inconsistent. Very good that you have him discovering that she wrote and published her memoirs without consulting him. His pique is very believable, but he does not seem to be able to sustain his annoyance. He keeps slipping into another frame of mind, perhaps she is successful at distracting him. She's very good at it.